Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: IBD?

IBD?

Just wondering if anyone also has the displeasure of having IBD. I have been diagnosed with ulceritive colitis this past winter. I had a great winter skiing and wonderful summer running but am worried that this disease will eventually limit my activities. I think skiing is fine but am starting to worry that real running is just to taxing on my body. Just wondering if anyone has had success with a long remission?

Most people on this board would not like this answer to this immune disorder, but I will throw it out.

Only focus on a nutrition based approach. Stay off the doctor drugs as they fuck with the immune response and WILL alter future recovery.

Pick up any radical nutrition book, Gary Null tends to be the best, and alter your life with it. The new diet will be a pain in the ass, but it eventually works. Most times, for healthy people, these types of "disorders" can be actually cured very quickly, with a major and radical diet change.

There are also many "herbs", well, a combo of herbs and roots, that can add to the diet change. You will just focus on those particular diets that have these, new to you, roots in them. Turmeric is one godsend for bowel disorders like this, for example. You can just put the powdered root into hot water and drink it. Eventually, you will eat tons of curry…..not bad, eh? Golden Seal is much much more powerful, but similar.

"Healthy" bacteria must always be balanced, as well as digestive enzymes. Eating "right", for you and your current system, is the key. Finding out what is right for you is hard.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

I think it's fair to say that whatever advice dascunt gives, it's probably in your best interest to do the exact opposite.
    In with the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    I think it's fair to say that whatever advice dascunt gives, it's probably in your best interest to do the exact opposite.
    Considering you have provided no facts or statements contrary to my information, dismissing your abuse as common playground bullying is another logical conclusion.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by berko View Post
    And seek actual medical assistance.
    I still call it The Jake.

Yes I have seen my GI doctor and am on two type of mesalamine drugs(yup up the butt). They certainly seem to help. I just started a couple of weeks ago the perfect health diet so hopefully that will help two. I have also had acupuncture and Chinese herbs which did not do much. Just wondering Das if you have uc or know someone who has made these changes?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Most people on this board would not like this answer to this immune disorder, but I will throw it out.

Only focus on a nutrition based approach. Stay off the doctor drugs as they fuck with the immune response and WILL alter future recovery.

Pick up any radical nutrition book, Gary Null tends to be the best, and alter your life with it. The new diet will be a pain in the ass, but it eventually works. Most times, for healthy people, these types of "disorders" can be actually cured very quickly, with a major and radical diet change.

There are also many "herbs", well, a combo of herbs and roots, that can add to the diet change. You will just focus on those particular diets that have these, new to you, roots in them. Turmeric is one godsend for bowel disorders like this, for example. You can just put the powdered root into hot water and drink it. Eventually, you will eat tons of curry…..not bad, eh? Golden Seal is much much more powerful, but similar.

"Healthy" bacteria must always be balanced, as well as digestive enzymes. Eating "right", for you and your current system, is the key. Finding out what is right for you is hard.
    ^^^^ This. My mother has had diverticulitis for a long long time. Eventually she had part of her colon removed. That improved her situation for a few years, but about a year ago she started having pains in her side again. She went to the doctor who immediately suggested antibiotics, which is the opposite of what she needed. My wife and I convinced her to completely cut gluten from her diet, and had her buy a number of supplements and herbs. Turmeric, Garlic, probiotics, and such. It took a few weeks initially for her pain to go away, but she has been tip top ever since.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

I had this problem in my 20s (and I suppose to some extent still have it). It took a really long time to find the right drug therapy. I think that was partly my fault for not pushing the issue with my doctors. Don't settle for a drug that gets you through the day, try to find something that will trigger a full remission. Anyway, I stabilized it for a long time with mercaptopurine and then it just sort of... went away. Knock on wood.

In any case, if you can get your system under control, you can go from there and it doesn't have to limit you. As far as staying active, some of the drugs have significant side effects, but I think you have to take control of your life and not let an illness or a condition define you. It might have been good for me - I think I got more into whitewater kayaking, skiing, scuba diving, mountain biking, etc. because I felt like I wasn't having the quality of life that I wanted and I needed to get out and live a little.

^^^Glad all of that worked for you, but I caution anyone else reading your example with this observation; any toying with the digestive system with drugs created in the lab, will have clear and definitive effects on your system over time. Any number of diseases that may be far worse can be attributed to a faulty digestive system in many different ways.

These drugs will impair absorption functions and the vital energy/nutrition from food will become impaired, and you become a slave to symptoms, and fighting symptoms with drugs.There can be virtually no win with modern drugs and even "vitamins" are the same type of poison.
    Terje was right.

Hey Badger are you still taking mercaptopurine or have you stayed in remission without it? Seems like that might be an option if the canasa and rowasa do not work. My symtoms are almost gone. Just a slightly grumbly stomach and a little gassy.
    Thanks

DO not take mercaptopurine. Besides being powerful drug for Leukemia, It is a ANTI Metabolite, meaning, it fights the bodies own metabolism.

Metabolism can be set, reset, halted (death), made faster, slower, for all system metabolite functions. Digestive systems are much more complex than we even can understand, as even IBD is just a hypothesis and not an actual diagnosis.

This sounds like Iceman's doctor that prescribed Iron pots and pans for too much Iron.

SOunds like a dumb doctor saying, let's nuke your digestion system". Finding foods and timing of eating foods to match the metabolism and the level of activity your life has is the best answer. Unless you are some fat fuck with other disease or issues.
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    This sounds like Iceman's doctor that prescribed Iron pots and pans for too much Iron.
    Typical. In fact the Doc suggested the opposite - that I stop using iron pans. Which was pretty stupid too, because the problem was a lot bigger than that, but that's besides the point.

Das,
    Just wondering what your experience is with UC? I agree that many of these drugs are bad and certainly we have no clue about the digestive system or even what causes these issues. That being said if you do not have UC or and autoimmune disease its easy to give advice but when you are shitting 20 times a day with blood generally you go to the doctor to see if they can help. Again im not disagreeing with you just looking for your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by deeppo View Post
    Das,
    Just wondering what your experience is with UC? I agree that many of these drugs are bad and certainly we have no clue about the digestive system or even what causes these issues. That being said if you do not have UC or and autoimmune disease its easy to give advice but when you are shitting 20 times a day with blood generally you go to the doctor to see if they can help. Again im not disagreeing with you just looking for your experience.
    Symptoms question; Everyday for how long (it obviously stops or abates, or you would be dead)? If for one unique day, then how long until a return to "normal". Digestive cycles can last for weeks, and resuming "normal" eating patterns have to be earned after episodes like you describe by gradual re-introduction of the basic foods ( water, broth, grape, fruit juice, etc, moving through the food ladder).

Try using the allergy test methods ( gradual introduction, or elimination of specific foods, combo of foods). These methods can be used, with the proper observational skills ( you can do it), over many weeks, months, or even years, even more so when we get older and our metabolism changes just due to aging. Knowing when to eliminate certain foods completely from our diet is the single greatest weapon against any disease. When we were babies, when to introduce certain foods was paramount and the same principal applies in reverse……..

But really, for me to be general on a forum like this, at the end of the day the symptoms could be completely variable and have multiple causes, so shooting at a bullseye in the dark is the same approach as the lab medicine.. All the more reason to radically change the diet and the approach towards eating and supplements similar to sports training, always remembering, simple is best in regards to food.
    Terje was right.

I am still confounded by this disease, mine came sudden and severe. I was left with two options; go on a regular infusion of a biologic drug or lose the colon. I decided to keep the colon. Treatment options seem to vary wildly depending on the severity, talk to your doctor and see what options are best for you. I got pretty tired of hearing everyone's special diet that I should follow, there was simply no option for me other than a drug which blocks specific receptors to the immune system. I'm almost two years to the day since my diagnosis and remain symptom free after going on drug treatment. I'm not a proponent for drugs, I suffered frustrating side affects from anti-inflammatories although I'm now only on the biologic drug.

I've managed to increase my strength and fitness from before I became ill with UC and have zero effects from the drug or illness.

Find a gastroenterologist, start a discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by repete View Post
    I am still confounded by this disease, mine came sudden and severe. I was left with two options; go on a regular infusion of a biologic drug or lose the colon. I decided to keep the colon. Treatment options seem to vary wildly depending on the severity, talk to your doctor and see what options are best for you. I got pretty tired of hearing everyone's special diet that I should follow, there was simply no option for me other than a drug which blocks specific receptors to the immune system. I'm almost two years to the day since my diagnosis and remain symptom free after going on drug treatment. I'm not a proponent for drugs, I suffered frustrating side affects from anti-inflammatories although I'm now only on the biologic drug.

I've managed to increase my strength and fitness from before I became ill with UC and have zero effects from the drug or illness.

Find a gastroenterologist, start a discussion.
    "Tired of hearing about special diet"= a great candidate for medical treatment and sorry you are bitter. Glad you are OK, but this is the typical example, and why the drug companies profit needlessly on the current side effects and future effects of these sort of bombastic treatments. I guess that is why you pay into a term life insurance err, health insurance account……

Nutritionists are in collusion with the medical field too, oh the shit I have heard…….
    Terje was right.

I am not bitter, I am simply glad to still have my colon. My case was sudden and severe and within weeks I went from having absolute zero past symptoms of UC to being a candidate for surgery. Obviously my case doesn't apply to others but knowing how serious this can be it is not something to fool around with.

As I said, find a qualified doctor and discuss your options.

DasBlunt bringing the ignorance as usual.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

poop transplant is in the recent news...

check it out!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Typical. In fact the Doc suggested the opposite - that I stop using iron pans. Which was pretty stupid too, because the problem was a lot bigger than that, but that's besides the point.
    Kind of interesting and related, http://www.rcinet.ca/english/daily/i...n-fish-update/

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    DasBlunt bringing the ignorance as usual.
    I've played golf with Das, and we discussed diet a little bit, and while I pray to Christ I never have to eat the way he does (I love my cheesesteaks), I'd put my money on it that he knows more than most of us about diet, and he is correct that the one's dissing his advice are not exactly bringing teh konwledgez.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Quote Originally Posted by deeppo View Post
    I just started a couple of weeks ago the perfect health diet so hopefully that will help two.
    Thanks
    Out of cureosity, in general, what are you eating and not eating that provides "the perfect health diet"

There is a shit ton of info out there and I hate to say it but das is 100% right. Be extremely careful using pharma drugs in this case. You are going to have to make a major lifestyle change (assuming your anywhere near the normal "American healthy" eater)

Gary null is good along with Mercola. Also check out "the Tao of health sex and longevity" by Daniel P Reid, really just read the first few chapters, and see if it seems like a remotely fitting concept to you. the Chinese figured shit out a loooong time ago and then refined it over another loooong time. No one will convince you what is best but a one dimensional, chemical reaction, western medical science based treatment, in your case, will have a much worse outcome then addressing the root issues and overcompensating in major lifestyle and thought process changes. A natureopath is a good place to start if your not into self study. And always remember, it's certainly not gonna make it worse.

It's hard to imagine now, but there could be some unintended positives to this, if you choose the healthier path.

I've had bouts of something related where the doctors were useless.

What works for me is a regular diet of oatmeal. As long as I get that or some similar roughage, I'm good.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by abraham View Post
    That's pretty cool. It would be a bad thing for my own personal health, but what a great simple way to address a health problem in that population.

Quote Originally Posted by jfost View Post
    poop transplant is in the recent news...

check it out!
    Interesting.

Would seem to make sense.