Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

school me on CC fraud

So somebody or group ended up with my visa number. I had 14 charges to Dish Network, several to Comcast, ATT, some cell phone deductible payment center, and a few other randoms.

What is the deal? The payments were made all over the country, so it's not one person. Is it a group of people or is it just some computer hack creating chaos?

When I called Comcast (they are my provider) they would not tell me the accounts in which my CC was used to make a payment. On one had I get it, but on the other it just pisses me off!

Just call the CC company. They will put all the funds/reverse charges while they investigate. Just had this happen recently too. Not a huge deal just a slight pain with replacement cards etc.

Ya, they are taking care of it and it won't cost me anything but time without CC. But, I was just curious as to wtf are these people doing or after.

I got tapped for almost $20k a few years ago. When I called the seller HSN they did nothing and put it all on me, "call your bank". I called my bank and they said they couldn't do anything because they used a third party card provider. I called the CC provider and they had me fill out a form and then they reversed all the charges (Home Shopping Network). Then HSN calls me back trying to pin the charges on me. WTF? I tried to reconcile the fraud earlier and warn them but they blew me off and threw me back to the CC company. All you can do is call the CC provider and itemize the charges you are challenging.

in my case my CC provider actually contacted me (give updated contact info to them) and asked if i had made all these odd charges all over the US. some were for concert tickets. Some were at some random "general store" in Virginia, all in all the funds were back within about 4 hours and a new card in a couple days.

Unless you do ZERO online shopping and never use your CC in public then this is inevitable IMHO. only way to avoid it is to pay cash for EVERYTHING. Not really practical in my life.

20k! They got me for 2938.59!

Amazing how this happens. HSN makes more sense as they are actually receiving something of value. Making multiple payments to service providers all over the country is strange. Maybe they are acting as a third party payment center and taking the cash?

People are fucking crazy.

This is an interesting watch...

Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 10-29-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    20k! HSN makes more sense as they are actually receiving something of value.
    Diamond jewelry sent to addresses close to the distribution center for fast arrival.

20k! They got me for 2938.59!

Amazing how this happens. HSN makes more sense as they are actually receiving something of value. Making multiple payments to service providers all over the country is strange. Maybe they are acting as a third party payment center and taking the cash?

People are fucking crazy.
    The thieves are just selling your digits and security code (and billing addy if they are good) to other miscreants around the world. My guess is the thieves don't take credit cards for payment.

Yup. Call CC company, cancel the card. Fill out their affidavit when it comes. Pay no charges, it's the cc company's problem to provide fraud protection, not yours.

This is why CC's are superior to debit cards. When shit goes wrong, it's not your problem.

On another note, the only way to really combat the cc fraud issue is to get a new card number annually. As mentioned above, cc numbers are sold in large lots and slowly used by the criminal types. Remember every single time you hear on the news about someone's database getting hacked and a couple million users info was stolen? That's a couple million cc numbers that will be sold on the black market and pinged eventually. You won't know when, but you'll get hit eventually if you were part of one of those databases.

And on this note, I don't understand why cc companies are keeping such a long duration on the cards. 3-5 years before expiration is about 4 years too long.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    My guess is the thieves don't take credit cards for payment.
    Bitcoins

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    My guess is the thieves don't take credit cards for payment.
    I don't think they are taking a CC. They are paid with check, transfer or whatever and then they make the provider payment with the stolen card number.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Bitcoins
    That is a new term for me. Just read a little about it and I barely understand what the hell it is, but there is certainly a lot of fraud going on with it.

Just spoke with my VP banker friend and he said that lately there has been a lot of Russian third party payment shit going on. My Dad always warned me about those commies

A few years ago, I had several $500 atm withdrawals in Canada. Then the card number was used in Japan for several thousand more before the Fraud protection stopped the card. It was really easy to have everything taken off my bill.

It's easy to get the cc company to cancel the charges. but you need to check your credit report periodically--the store that got stiffed may report it as a non-payment by you to the credit bureaus and it's very hard to get the wrong information off your report unless you get a lawyer.
    Both my kids have had erroneous charges--a couple times they found out about it when goods were shipped to our house instead of to the person who ordered them.
    I had my card cancelled once (and a new one sent) because I had done business with a merchant who had had numbers stolen, even though there were no charges on my card.
    Every once in a while I get calls from my cc bank's security dept asking about certain charges, which seem totally innocuous to me--can't figure out what triggers it. I do get my card frozen every december because I do a lot of charitable donations on my cc. calling the bank ahead of time does no good--the blocking is automated. I doubt too many credit card thieves are donating to the Red Cross.

I've had a Chase CC compromised 3x in the last 2 yrs- last time just back in Sept. Each time the CC company has notified me within literally minutes (last time it was gas station charges in Indiana) of the transactions of potential fraudulent charges, and sent out a new card within ~48hrs. The sucky part is that it inevitably messes up the auto-withdrawal payments linked to the CC #.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I doubt too many credit card thieves are donating to the Red Cross.
    That's where you may be wrong. The cc thieves used to 'ping' the cc to make sure it was good with a small charge before ramping up bigger charges.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Both my kids have had erroneous charges--a couple times they found out about it when goods were shipped to our house instead of to the person who ordered them.
    "I swear dad, someone must have erroneously sent this vaporizer to the house. Damn criminals."

This was my REI visa thru US Bank or US Bancorp. I'm not real thrilled that it went on for so long without any red flags. On 10/15 alone I had 15 payments to the Dish Network. And I discovered the problem when I went to pay my bill last night. Meanwhile they had paid Dish 2 more times.

I'm all done with this card.

This was my REI visa thru US Bank or US Bancorp. I'm not real thrilled that it went on for so long without any red flags. On 10/15 alone I had 15 payments to the Dish Network. And I discovered the problem when I went to pay my bill last night. Meanwhile they had paid Dish 2 more times.

I'm all done with this card.
    That's bullshit. The loss prevention servicer for my credit union card called me the same day as the unauthorized transactions on my card a few weeks back. And mine weren't nearly as suspicious as yours--two transactions, using a fake card with mag strip, at a Macy's within 30 minutes of my house. I think they flagged them because the two transactions were for nearly identical amounts in short succession, but I was still impressed that they picked it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Wells Fargo has really good fraud prevention on my CC, Tried to buy gas once, and the card got declined, I had barley kicked the gas pump and gotten back in the car when they called me and re-activated my card.

They have had to send me new cards probably 3x in the last 3 years, never got charged a cent, or spent more than 5 minutes on the phone each time.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

My story

I had a roommate steal a new card from me from the mail without me knowing some 20yrs ago. Guy bragged he got a new CC and started spending like crazy. Dinners out, new wheels for his car, etc. Heck we even went to Lake Havasu and he told me the drinks were on him so I started buying party buckets to his card.

One day I was cleaning up the apt and I found some cheap motor oil in a bag so I checked it out and noticed the receipt in the bag had my name on it!!!!!!!!! WTF? Figured out quickly this was the new card I signed up for but never received.

I gave him notice I was moving out immediately and he eagerly agreed.

In the meantime he bought more stuff thru QVC and announced that he bought into a 'business' using his new credit card. One day he was not home and left his wallet out. I rifled thru it and found a few reciepts with my card name on it including the 'business' one for $2K. Took them and made copies and put them back.

The day after moving out I called CC company and told them what was going on, then went and filed a police report. Total charges were ~$5K which 20yrs ago was a lot.

Police eventually arrested him after an investigation. Found the 'business' was a scheme with a friend of his that had an old CC carbon slider and they charged the CC and split the cash. They impounded his car because of the wheels that where obtained with the CC and eventually locked him up over xmas for a month. He was let out on time served and restitution to be repaid.

Bottom line....CC never perused, just wrote of the money as a loss, my roommate never showed up for the restitution hearing so I stopped pursuing. Heard years later from his GF at the time that she dumped him and he moved to Mexico.

Don't count on anything happening. Guy will probably never get caught and those who pay interest on their CC will make up for the loss.

So somebody or group ended up with my visa number. I had 14 charges to Dish Network, several to Comcast, ATT, some cell phone deductible payment center, and a few other randoms.

What is the deal? The payments were made all over the country, so it's not one person. Is it a group of people or is it just some computer hack creating chaos?

When I called Comcast (they are my provider) they would not tell me the accounts in which my CC was used to make a payment. On one had I get it, but on the other it just pisses me off!
    Keep an eye on your credit report. My buddy ended up getting his wages garnished over cc fraud. He got letter from lawyer, called them, explained the situation, too late. He got his money back, but you need to make sure and get it all cleaned up and none of it goes to collections. He thought he had it all taken care of. 2 years later, whamo.

This is kind of crazy. An NYU prof made a deal with some hackers to see what they could grab from him.

http://pandodaily.com/2013/10/26/i-c...is-chilling/#!

It’s my first class of the semester at New York University. I’m discussing the evils of plagiarism and falsifying sources with 11 graduate journalism students when, without warning, my computer freezes. I fruitlessly tap on the keyboard as my laptop takes on a life of its own and reboots. Seconds later the screen flashes a message. To receive the four-digit code I need to unlock it I’ll have to dial a number with a 312 area code. Then my iPhone, set on vibrate and sitting idly on the table, beeps madly.

I’m being hacked — and only have myself to blame.

Two months earlier I challenged Nicholas Percoco, senior vice president of SpiderLabs, the advanced research and ethical hacking team at Trustwave, to perform a personal “pen-test,” industry-speak for “penetration test.” The idea grew out of a cover story I wrote for Forbes some 14 years earlier, when I retained a private detective to investigate me, starting with just my byline. In a week he pulled up an astonishing amount of information, everything from my social security number and mother’s maiden name to long distance phone records, including who I called and for how long, my rent, bank accounts, stock holdings, and utility bills.......

Quote Originally Posted by cramer View Post
    Keep an eye on your credit report. My buddy ended up getting his wages garnished over cc fraud. He got letter from lawyer, called them, explained the situation, too late. He got his money back, but you need to make sure and get it all cleaned up and none of it goes to collections. He thought he had it all taken care of. 2 years later, whamo.
    Twice I have had a problem, once when someone got my CC # and made an online purchase and once when my CC was lifted from my wallet at a local health club. In both cases I got calls from the CC company asking me about the purchases. The time they stole my card it was an American Express card. The perp had charged about $10 at a gas station and then tried to buy a flat panel TV at the local Walmart and American Express stopped the transaction. It was not a big TV about $500 so I cannot figure out how they would have known something was wrong. My Amex card has a $25,000 limit as I use it for business so it was no where close to the credit limit. They actually caught the guy because Walmart has cameras on every register, the police recognized him. He spent six months in jail unable to make bail and they gave him timed served plus a suspended sentence after he pled no contest. Six months later he was picked up for breaking and entering and once convicted on that he got a year extra as the suspened sentence was revoked. Besides the CC he stole he took a car for a joy ride.

The CC companies are right on top of this stuff, how they figure out something is wrong it amazing.

I have had cards hacked twice. The first time the thieves had my new card before I did. The fraud department even called me at home and asked if I was presently shopping at Harrod's in London...ummmm no, you just called me at home.

The second time, they ran up charges as Match.com, christian mingle, a Islam dating site, and a parole search service in Texas. That must have been an interesting date

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot