Thread: kauai riding

kauai riding

I'm in kauai for a week, and would like to ride a few times. is there any mountain biking?

orhow about roads with shoulders?

thanks

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Not so much shoulders. Saw some riders, but you pretty much share the road. Just what I saw in my drive from airport to north side.

There's a shop in Kapaa, and a bike path that takes you to Kealia Beach, which is fantastic for boogie boarding. Or, maybe see if the Powerline Trail allows bikes. You might be able to ride a little on the road if you're past Hanalei and it's early, but later it gets busy.

Given the dirt/mud consistency and traction on Kauai, I'm not sure I'd want to mountain bike there.

We found a trail up near Hanalei (next to the mini golf place) that allowed mountain bikes- and rents them, I believe- but it's not a trail I'd waste my time on Kauai with. Spend more time on Larsen or Secret Beach instead.

Powerline is rarely rideable, but it is possible. Or at least legal. Your best bet for trail riding is the Waimea area, specifically Waimea Heights.

Road Riding? Folks do it, but I wouldn't. Lot's of tourists in rental cars surrounded by badass scenery makes for less-than-attentive motoring.

Smmokan's got it though-ride the bike when you get home.

Thanks everyone. Maybe I should wait till I get back.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

Rod 7 years ago i mtb on the north shore near Hanalei . There was a shop on the way into Hanalei on the right side of road called the Bike Doktor .
    Back then they had a ride near the shop. The owner and a few locals showed me some really fun trails nearby. Ride started near the ocean then went up into the hills plenty of ST. Fun roots and steep challenging climbs, jungle , ocean views , moto area, old water flumes .
    highly recommended for a advanced intermediate rider. This might of been the area "Kalepa Ridge Trail" get it in dryer conditions.
    Ask if they still have a shop ride they will show you the goods. The owner even had a good bike for me to ride
    .http://bikedoc.kauaistyle.com/
    Last edited by mtbcat; 10-29-2013 at 10:15 AM.