Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Hit 60 next year. At 50 was rippin steeps pretty good even on teles. My knees are pretty shot now so I try and refrain but hell in deep in the trees it's mandatory to air it out now an then. I still go uphill pretty good tho so psyched for backcountry and steeps.

This was a good day in my 50's!

I was never really about hucking my meat but, I get some air time on occasion. These are from a couple of years ago at 55:

Commence with dick-waving...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fwa_gallup.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	1.12 MB 
ID:	143463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FWA 1.jpg 
Views:	286 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	143464  
    Last edited by GoldMember; 11-11-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    at 48 I can only say that i plan to. but at 48 i'm going as big as i ever have so i'm hoping for the best.
    me too but usually by accident, going too fast, following another nutjob over silly terrain.
    b

At 56 I certainly dial it back.

Too slow healing and too much fun having everything working.
    Still hit the steeps and backcountry hard, but only leave the ground with a soft, steep landing below.
    Really enjoy trail running and ski mountaineering, so I want to keep all the parts functioning so I can continue those pleasures.

I played soccer ~3 days a week from 12 to 50, so I miss the game a lot, but once I noticed I was spending more time healing from soccer injuries than playing, the choice was obvious, and trail running is a good replacement, challenging but not exposed to a blind-side hit from a dumbass.

Enjoy whatever you can do, while you can still do it, and be grateful for the capabilities you have.

I ski as fast as when I was 20. I will still ski anything, no matter how steep, but I won't jump off of anything more than ~10'.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I never throw down intentionally. LOL
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

I have no idea why anyone would want to do that.

But seriously, all you old farts need to realize that skiing is a young person's sport and you should take up shuffleboard or maybe Bridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	huck.JPG 
Views:	1165 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	143468

I never really hucked much but IMO at I have less reason to because at 57 I answer to no-one so I finally have the money/time/ opportunity to train to keep skiing fulltime and theoretically the brains to know when to push,when to pull back, when to send in the probe, when to give something a pass and just how far to push the body so that I can be doing this for a very longtime more

SO to answer the question at 57 I just ski a lot up down & sideways and actualy ... I don't mind waiting for the younger folk
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

My old man (now closing in on 70) could still do back flips into his early 50's, but now has had knee replacement, hip replacement and has arthritis in his neck- which he attributes to casing it too many times going for double backs.

For me time will tell, as I still have a good patch of the 40's to survive through first. After 4 ACL recon's over 3 decades and 70% of a medial meniscus missing, I don't go out looking for stuff to jump off of as a primary objective but it still tends to find me on occasion. I'm less about progression and more about aggressive regression prevention.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I'm 51 and still skiing as enthusiastically as I ever did. I've sort of lost count, but I'm up to ~40 seasons. But no bell-to-bell unless it's dumping and I was never one for hucking. 'If my ass in the air, it's 'cuz it's sitting in a chair.' This season I hold two season's passes at very steep mountains, and just like always -- the more I ski, the cheaper it gets!

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    I'm less about progression and more about aggressive regression prevention.
    Quoted for Sig worthiness.

Me? At 53 I still suck enough to cling to the hope of some progression... After, "progression" is a relative term, right? Blue squares for sure this year!
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

I have always loved the huck, big or small. I want my 100 day seasons back. The knee thing has really slowed me down. I really want to get it back and huck again. Did the biggest huck of my life, like 80 feet, at 45 and stuck it. That'll never happen again. But 10s to 20s are fun as hell. This is me at age 50. I turn 59 in a couple months.

I turn 60 this January. I still love skiing as much as when I was twelve and my best friend introduced me to skiing in 300 foot vertical western New York.

I was never much for hucking, but a pinched nerve in my neck and my age have substantially limit my air time. I've made up for it in trees, speed and steeps.
    I ski because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things.

"This deep snow makes my skis stupid!"

hell yeah! just turned 50 and I ski the same as always, but with more park.

Quote Originally Posted by worldbski View Post
    hell yeah! just turned 50 and I ski the same as always, but with more park.
    Wait what? thats orsum!
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

This thread reminds me of the old Head magazine ads, starring "Smooth Johnson, Master of the Carve" - apparently he wasn't key on hucking his meat...

At 47 for me it is contingent on how much powder there is and how much ibuprofen and adrenaline is in my system. Not that I was a ever a huge hucker in the first place. 15-20 feet max if all of the above criteria are met and my knees don't hurt.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Ahhhhh no. At 55 and only skiing the last 10 seasons, there is no way I ever was crazy enough to develop hucking skilz. Last time I got 6 feet of air, I crashed and fucked my shoulder up good. Nope, hope to miss out on that again for a long time. But hey, you nutz have fun with that.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I felt like I was at least maintaining the status quo up until about the mid-50s, then it became pretty obvious that, not only did I no longer have the stamina, but also the reflexes, brute strength and eye sight to pull of anything impressive. Things change, compensations and compromises occur: now at times I actually ski faster than ever, but only with perfect visibility and reasonably groomed surfaces. BC/off-piste means slow down, take my time and enjoy the scenery.

I wanna know where Whipski got those cool skis with the LCD clock built into the tips!

Damn! Splat, is that a parachute on your back?

Worldbski, doing park past 50 is the raddest thing ever. That shit scares the stuff out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    I wanna know where Whipski got those cool skis with the LCD clock built into the tips!

Damn! Splat, is that a parachute on your back?

Worldbski, doing park past 50 is the raddest thing ever. That shit scares the stuff out of me.
    Looks like he's going to splat on that rock.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Considering I've spent a fortune on after market titanium parts and performance enhancing drugs, I should be going hudge this year!

I'm stronger and technically better at 56 than I was 15 years ago, mostly because I can ski all I want to now. But I'm not gonna lie-- I keep my skis pretty much on the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    Hit 60 next year. At 50 was rippin steeps pretty good even on teles. My knees are pretty shot now so I try and refrain but hell in deep in the trees it's mandatory to air it out now an then. I still go uphill pretty good tho so psyched for backcountry and steeps.

This was a good day in my 50's!
    At 7:02 he launched off the ramp. He cut right and flew off the cornice at 7:03. At 7:05 he was ordering coffee down in the valley.

Kickin' Ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    Considering I've spent a fortune on after market titanium parts and performance enhancing drugs, I should be going hudge this year!
    That's the spirit!
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well