100 times stronger than duct tape??

http://www.fiberfix.com/

New product some BYU student came up with. Looks like essentially its a "cast" for broken things. Maybe worth putting some in the backpack for emergencies. Dont know how low temps would effect dry time, but i'd assume all of us would have water in the BC. For backpacking i think this would be a must in the pack, seems kinda no brainer.

Happy viewing.

With a fiberglass cast, they recommend using cold water....but I am no expert in exothermic reactions. Do you need need gloves to apply it (to prevent the resin from sticking to your hand)?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    With a fiberglass cast, they recommend using cold water....but I am no expert in exothermic reactions. Do you need need gloves to apply it (to prevent the resin from sticking to your hand)?
    I dont recall. there is a video posted somewhere of him "taping" together 2 2x2's into a t shape and 10 min later breaking a cinder block with them. I don't recall him wearing gloves but im not to perceptive

either way still pretty cool stuff IMO.

Dude, come on now...nothing yet known to man is 100 times stronger than duct tape..'cept may be gorilla duct tape

Yes you need gloves, it is epoxy based. Interesting that they have a resin that cures with water, especially considering most composites don't play well with moisture.

Surfboard repair?

can you sand it?

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    Surfboard repair?

can you sand it?

They say you can paint it, but nothing about sanding.

Wow I want a roll of this the same size that the telephone wires come on.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

I don't know about this product, but with fiberglass cast you can use warm, even hot water, but it speeds up the reaction and curing time, so you better be quick applying it. And yes, the resin will stick to your hands if not wearing gloves.

Most likely this is pretty heavy stuff, so I'll stick to duct tape, or better yet gaffer tape for backpacking...lots more uses. I had to duct tape my wife's hiking boot soles to her feet on a recent trip, this tape would not have worked.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

I bet you could stiffen a pair of soft skis by laying a strip of this down the centerline.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    I don't know about this product, but with fiberglass cast you can use warm, even hot water, but it speeds up the reaction and curing time, so you better be quick applying it. And yes, the resin will stick to your hands if not wearing gloves.

Most likely this is pretty heavy stuff, so I'll stick to duct tape, or better yet gaffer tape for backpacking...lots more uses. I had to duct tape my wife's hiking boot soles to her feet on a recent trip, this tape would not have worked.
    Oh I just look at this as another tool in the toolbox. I wouldnt leave my duct tape at home, but this would be a welcome addition to the kit imho.

Obviously there are variation between products, but best practice for the application of a fiberglass cast is to use cool water. You should avoid using hot water as there is a documented risk of burns, particualrly with thick casts, due to the added heat in the exothermic reaction.

Again, variations,different applications and whatnot... just something to consider. I agree, you would be better served with gaffer tape.....for the BC, not casts
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    I bet you could stiffen a pair of soft skis by laying a strip of this down the centerline.
    I've stiffened soft boots by laminating on fiberglass (and also used it to shape a tighter heel pocket). I suspect this stuff would work for that purpose if the resin is something that bonds well with those plastics. On second thought... I doubt it would bond.

You probably wouldn't be able to effectively stiffen a ski though since you'd be creating a bond only with the topsheet, which would not be sufficient.

But regular layup techniques & materials would still be much better for almost all applications (and really isn't very hard to do). This sounds like something to keep handy for when you need it readily available and with a quick cure.

Was on the TV show shark tank last night. You need gloves to apply it. Few sharks tried buying it.

In addition to other repair uses, it might make an excellent component of an improvised splint.

One concern about backcountry use is inevitable moisture exposure. Others have made comparisons to cast/splint material used in hospitals. One problem with that stiff is, if exposed to air, it stiffens up. Even the moisture content in the air in an ER is enough to stiffen it.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow_Chaser View Post
    Was on the TV show shark tank last night. You need gloves to apply it. Few sharks tried buying it.
    The sharks are stupid me thinks. I am hearing they can't keep the shit on store shelves. Now that could be a production issue but still a good problem to have for an emerging small biz.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using TGR Forums

Obviously there are variation between products, but best practice for the application of a fiberglass cast is to use cool water. You should avoid using hot water as there is a documented risk of burns, particualrly with thick casts, due to the added heat in the exothermic reaction.

Again, variations,different applications and whatnot... just something to consider. I agree, you would be better served with gaffer tape.....for the BC, not casts
    Not to turn this into a "How to apply a fiberglass cast" thread, but there are time when warm (not really hot) water is appropriate. I will sometimes apply my first layers cold, then outer layers warm, this allows the entire cast to set at similar times forming a better bond and stronger cast. Also I will apply a warm water cast if I need it to set really quickly, which in vet med is sometimes essential, but yes one has to pay attention to the exothermic properties of the epoxy.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Not to turn this into a "How to apply a fiberglass cast" thread, but there are time when warm (not really hot) water is appropriate. I will sometimes apply my first layers cold, then outer layers warm, this allows the entire cast to set at similar times forming a better bond and stronger cast. Also I will apply a warm water cast if I need it to set really quickly, which in vet med is sometimes essential, but yes one has to pay attention to the exothermic properties of the epoxy.
    agreed. warm water is perfectly fine if your efficient and good with cast tape. cold water buys you more time
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.