Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yo dude! Slow down!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1382512551.464811.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	143129

Who the f-ck would ride flying dig up this way and down the other anyway? And if they do then shouldn't they expect people to ride fast?!
    When should a trail become one way?
    What's next? Speed limits?
    WTF?
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Thank IMBA
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Finstah Guest
    Flying Dog is fun in both directions (I prefer counter-clockwise.)

Reminding people to be aware on oncoming traffic makes sense to me...

Sounds like you (OP) should ride somewhere with fewer people.

gosh those beaters make training for enduro such a hassle. and now signs!?!? sheesh
    now a complete tool

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1382512551.464811.jpg 
Views:	740 
Size:	325.0 KB 
ID:	143129

Who the f-ck would ride flying dig up this way and down the other anyway? And if they do then shouldn't they expect people to ride fast?!
    When should a trail become one way?
    What's next? Speed limits?
    WTF?
    C'mon now. Really? I climb it now and then. I expect to see fast riders, but I expect them to be able to control their bikes and stop, or stuff it in the bushes, because thats what I do. It's a nice climb, its not steep. It's a good option for getting some good miles and mixing things up if I'm gonna do a big loop and descend down into the preserve. Going down preserve connector sucks, but Flying Dog to Cobblestone is a great rip. Rocky and loose to narrow loam.

It's not just riders either, there are hikers as well.

There are 4 one way, bike only trails right there, and Arcylon is across the street.

Go fast, have fun, but be able to control your bike and stop. It could be a rider, a hiker, a sheep or a giant moose ass.

Yo?

Dude?

Bill and Ted get hired as an outreach consultant?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Park city trails are becoming much more crowded.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Sounds like you (OP) should ride somewhere with fewer people.
    Mountain trails has built runs like Holly's that used to be a nightly climb on which I saw no one into highways of speed. Armstrong has put alot more traffic on a section of mid mountain that used to be empty. It is the cost of progress and I have had to adjust how I ride. I went on a ride with my son over in Deer Valley one mid-day this summer and holy cow. Felt like I was back in Boulder. One girl even called me a Dick when I said to my son that the trails were really crowded and we should stick to the trails around the house next time. Wasn't even trying to offend or be a smart ass. Just got tired of having to stop every 300 yards.

I like that Park City is becoming a destination for bikers. Etiquette becomes a must as the crowds grow.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada1 View Post
    Etiquette becomes a must as the crowds grow.
    QFT! I was riding a trail and a guy coming downhill couldn't stop in time to avoid me. Slow speed crash, nothing broke, but he was a cranky assed pissant about the whole thing. That's an attitude that closes trails, kind of like when a snowboarder insulted Betsy Pratt and she closed Mad River Glen to boarders.

In all seriousness, inflammation aside....

Although I have never had even a close call on Flying Dog it seems that there probably have been dangerous hits or near misses on the trail at least enough to warrant the "Yo Dude, Slow Down" sign at the top of (only) the "backside" downhill and not the other direction. (both sides have a ride with respect sign)

As riding technology improves and riders in general become faster, should we consider making some trails one way alternating every other day?

PS I actually think the climb up the backside is a nice climb and sometimes ride it as an out and back.
    Last edited by skinipenem; 10-23-2013 at 04:37 PM.

As riding technology improves and riders in general become faster, should we consider making some trails one way alternating every other day?
    so you have to ride it backwards on the off day?
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Although I have never had even a close call on Flying Dog it seems that there probably have been dangerous hits or near misses on the trail at least enough to warrant the "Yo Dude, Slow Down" sign at the top of (only) the "backside" downhill and not the other direction. (both sides have a ride with respect sign)

PS I actually think the climb up the backside is a nice climb and sometimes ride it as an out and back.
    As things get more crowded, you probably need more rules and more one-way bike-only trails. That, and more trails in general.

This is why PC/Mtn Trails/Basin Rec (Draper too)is killing it. They are building more trails all the time, some with direction. Coming from the CO Front Range, my head exploded when i was out to visit for our move and I rode Rush and Arcylon on the same day.

PC and Mod Mountain are definitely crowded on weekends, but if you just do what you can to avoid mid mountain you miss most of the crowds. Taking a right at the top of Armstrong to either ride Iron Mtn loop or head over to Canyons does the trick too, but yeah, DV to Armstrong on Mid Mtn on a summer weekend is no bueno.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    This is why PC/Mtn Trails/Basin Rec (Draper too)is killing it. They are building more trails all the time, some with direction. Coming from the CO Front Range, my head exploded when i was out to visit for our move and I rode Rush and Arcylon on the same day.

PC and Mod Mountain are definitely crowded on weekends, but if you just do what you can to avoid mid mountain you miss most of the crowds. Taking a right at the top of Armstrong to either ride Iron Mtn loop or head over to Canyons does the trick too, but yeah, DV to Armstrong on Mid Mtn on a summer weekend is no bueno.
    I've been loving the trails up there and I like what appears to be coming up for expansion. For better or worse, there's a new housing development going in next to Gorgoza that has promised to give up rights-of-way for some new trail. Plus Toll Canyon has been preserved and is currently being evaluated by Basin Rec. The bond issue from a year or two back earmarked money to expand the paved Millennium Trail up to Summit Park. I expect the trail connections between Pinebrook, Summit Park, Arcylon, and the north end of Mid-Mountain to all get better over the next season or two.

The traditional rules of the trail are fairly useless. Use common sense. Don't ride up trails that have primarily downhill traffic during peak hours. Regardless of time / day, if you ride up a popular descent, don't be a douche - keep your head up for descending riders and yield the right of way. If you're one of those "uphill has the right of way regardless of circumstances" people, you can go get fucked. And that's not to say people descending don't have any culpability - anyone who's exceeding the limits of their sight lines / brakes on the descent should be prepared to do what's necessary to not run into people.

Not sure I can agree with all of that, who decides what trails have primarily downhill traffic? I don't know the trail system in question, but had an encounter on "my" trails this summer that had me scratching my head. Climbing up what we have always felt was the best trail to climb, the trail everyone I ride with climbs, we encountered someone descending who was totally flummoxed that anyone would climb such an "obvious" downhill trail. Yet on what I think is an obvious downhill trail, I've occasionally encountered uphill traffic. And when I polled people on mtbr, the responses were all over the map as to what was the proper trails to climb.

I do agree that in general, it's better for the uphill rider to yield on long climbs, if possible.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

yeah - it's not really a bright line rule. But the traditional "yield to uphill riders" rule also shouldn't be taken as gospel.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    yeah - it's not really a bright line rule. But the traditional "yield to uphill riders" rule also shouldn't be taken as gospel.
    If a trail does not have signage indicating it is a down hill flow trail, you assume it is not and yield. At least that is what I teach my kids.
    This is the crux of the problem. Even guys who do this all the time don't agree on what is right.

To the original post, the sign is stupid. But the guys at Basin are all really young, and probably thought it was pretty funny, and you know what. They're right. My interactions with them have all been positive and they do a good job. Ditto with Mtn Trails. I'm still pissed at Mtn Trails for giving away the saddle on mid mountain, building the colonies sux switchbacks and renaming mid mountain iron man, but hell, I'm a grumpy old man that throws pumpkins and empties at the kids trying to steal the pumpkins off my porch. It appears that I am the only person in town who still thinks about printing T- Shirts saying Free Mid Mountain. I love the things that brought me here from Boulder. Im also a hypicritical NIMBY that doesn't want guys like Flowtron to make the same choice I made!

If a trail does not have signage indicating it is a down hill flow trail, you assume it is not and yield. At least that is what I teach my kids.
    This is the crux of the problem. Even guys who do this all the time don't agree on what is right.
    Yes, if you are going downhill on a non-designated trail you plan to yield to uphill traffic. That said, if I am riding uphill on a trail that I know to be a long fun downhill, 90% of the time I will yield if I see someone ripping down. I don't do it because it's a mt biking rule, I do it because it's the golden rule.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin

I was a bit conflicted on that sign the first time I saw it and still am. My biggest gripe is that I think it portrays mountain bikers in a pretty negative light to the hikers that see it. Seems like it just furthers the stereotype, that we are a bunch of inconsiderate dudes that are just waiting to mow down an innocent hiker. There's also the part of me that just thinks it's a pretty funny, unique way to get a message across and I need to lighten up. That trail system sees a lot of use and though I far prefer riding it counter clockwise for the extended downhill, option to add a Bob's Basin lap at the end, and the awesome runout from the Basin to the Glenwild parking lot it seems the majority ride it the opposite way to make the climbing portion more mellow. That sign is a hell of a lot more noticeable than one of the typical shared use/yield triangle things and if it the catches the eye of some "dude" before he decides to go get his strava/enduro training on coming down that section it's a good thing.

While I think not having to worry about bike traffic would be great if they made this trail directional, I think it opens up even bigger problems with hikers. Giving riders the confidence to bomb that trail at higher speeds is just going to result in more people running hikers off the trail and causing problems.

As far as MM goes, I used to love riding it 5ish years ago. At this point it's nothing more than an access route/connector trail for me. There are sections that are still super fun but I'm basically on and off of it as soon as I can to get up to some of the lesser used stuff up high. Still a blessing to have a mountain bike superhighway like that stretching for as far as it does and it keeps most of the masses on the weekends concentrated in one place.

Im also a hypicritical NIMBY that doesn't want guys like Flowtron to make the same choice I made!
    Hey now! I was Utarded before I was a ColoRadBro. I wore an onion on my belt and rode mid mtn before it was called mid mtn!

Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Hey now! I was Utarded before I was a ColoRadBro. I wore an onion on my belt and rode mid mtn before it was called mid mtn!
    Stay away from my trails or I'll scowl at you while mumbling to myself about the kids today.

Don't look at the sign. Problem and butt-hurt solved.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Yes, if you are going downhill on a non-designated trail you plan to yield to uphill traffic. That said, if I am riding uphill on a trail that I know to be a long fun downhill, 90% of the time I will yield if I see someone ripping down. I don't do it because it's a mt biking rule, I do it because it's the golden rule.
    This. But I yield going down even if it is a downhill only trail and some stupid hikers can't read . Danno probably does too.

Fuck no, I make an extra effort to kick the offending hikers as I blaze by.