Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    This
    2670(;$4790
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post

"Yo dude! Slow down!"=teh ghey. Drop the bro-brah, and just say what you need to say; yield to uphill traffic.
    So we have homophobes upset that people are using words like "Yo" and "dude" Oof

^not a homophobe, and not upset; just think it looks douchey on a sign.

Would make me want to post a reply sign; yo, doode; go fuck yourself.

"Ride in control", or "be considerate of others using the trail" would be more to the point.
    Last edited by bendtheski; 10-28-2013 at 06:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i'm still kinda amazed at the # of downhill dipshits that actually don't get the millcreek trails are dog days every day and every other day the must be on leash.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    i'm still kinda amazed at the # of downhill dipshits that actually don't get the millcreek trails are dog days every day and every other day the must be on leash.
    This is correct... but fortunately it's not 1996 anymore and the Millcreek Canyon trails are more and more becoming a non issue for mountain bikers in the know.

Just remember to keep a leash on ya though, cause you always have to be prepared to leash your dog upon the request of a nervous rider.
    http://www.millcreekfidos.org/rulesmillcreek.html

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    IMO, the brightline rule exists because of gravity. Downhill yields because it's easier to re-start on the down than on the up. Plenty of self-righteous bikers, hikers and equestrians who will not yield, regardless of direction of travel, so there's that to throw into the mix too.
    IIRC, the rule was developed in the early 90s, before the advent of mass produced 10 inch travel bikes and all. It was a different sport back then. As between bikers, exactly, it was considered easier for the down-hiller rider to start up again than for the uphill rider. As between hikers and bikers -- pedestrians always get the right of way no matter the direction of travel. As between horses and bikers, bikers don't have unpredictable iron-shod feet.

Plus the rule was intended to help reduce conflicts between user groups.

Granted the sport has changed a lot.

Danno: Sorry, I call bullshit on that. Uphill bikers who yield, at least every one I know, do so because of the golden rule, not self preservation.
    shrugMaybe. It was silly for me to speculate on the motivations of others.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    ^^ What woo said...

If I'm going up I'm much more likely to hear you coming down so I'm going to stop and wait for you to pass. If I happen to have been aware (lucky) enough to see you when I'm rollin' a downhill I'll slow down/move over/stop so you can continue climbing smoothly and not have to alter your line too much.

We have a couple of hiker grouches that hear you coming down and stand in the middle of the trail so you have to bail and then they yell at you for being the kind of person that shouldn't be allowed on the trail. A couple of weeks ago I had to carry my kids bike out of the woods because of one of these morons. My daughter was leading and this woman just kept walking towards her and they "met" on a steep section and the kid bailed off the trail rather than run into the old bag. While the kid was extricating herself form the situation the woman stood there screaming at the two of us that we should be banned from the park for life. Front wheel wrapped around the fork to the point where it took a hacksaw to cut it up to get it off the bike. The kid was fine but the woman was told to "watch her back" when she was in that park in the future.
    Regardless of who is "right or wrong", this is the type of thing that gets trails closed to mountain biking.

And just like if you rear-end somebody while driving, it is automatically your fault; so with interactions between hikers and bikers (regardless of how much of a selfish self-righteous prick they are being). I'm glad your kid is ok, but if the only way to prevent a collision was to crash, she may have been out of control.

The way I look at it is, the "yield to uphill travel" rule, is etiquette; a polite thing to do.

However, logically speaking, the only type of person who would care if a downhill rider yields is either a Sierra Clubber or a Spandex wearing douchebag; people who annoy me, in other words.

So as general rule of life, it is best to not be polite to people who annoy you. In fact, I go out of my way to be rude as possible to such a person.

Therefore, I never stop for an uphill traveling rider, as a matter of principle, since the only person who would care would be the type of person I hate, and I want to be as rude as possible to.

You're gonna hate me a lot more after the forearm to the dome.

I miss not yielding to anyone who hadn't lived in the hood longer than me. Seniority bitch.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hortence View Post
    IIRC, the rule was developed in the early 90s
    Like 1890s? Or farther back? Downhill yielding to uphill traffic was right of way long before "mountain biking" ever existed. It's in the vehicle code, it's standard. Seems logical to make things standard across transport modes but I guess brass tacks most people now don't know or give a shit about any of that, it's just anarchy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMessenger View Post
    The way I look at it is, the "yield to uphill travel" rule, is etiquette; a polite thing to do.

However, logically speaking, the only type of person who would care if a downhill rider yields is either a Sierra Clubber or a Spandex wearing douchebag; people who annoy me, in other words.

So as general rule of life, it is best to not be polite to people who annoy you. In fact, I go out of my way to be rude as possible to such a person.

Therefore, I never stop for an uphill traveling rider, as a matter of principle, since the only person who would care would be the type of person I hate, and I want to be as rude as possible to.
    Beater.

Lets hope we never cross paths on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Beater.

Lets hope we never cross paths on the trail.
    Ah...contraire... I hope we DO meet on the trail.

It's almost as the more frustration, displeasure, and pissed off you feel as I pass by you coming downhill, especially as you make it outwardly known, inversely, the more pleasure and delight I feel, almost giddy, inside knowing that I have caused this reaction to you, as someone I hate, having ruined just a little part of your day. Thank you.

The question is are you the Sierra Clubbing cunt or the Spandex wearing douchebag? My guess is the latter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was both, as it is often commonly the case.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

It's funny how big a deal this is in some places. People get a taste of the "etiquette" and take it to new levels of self-importance. Why use common sense and courtesy when you can go on a power trip? That wasn't necessarily the norm in SLC, but it definitely existed.

I say it's funny, because the etiquette (or lack thereof) is the exact opposite here. Hikers go out of their way to move off the trail for bikers, and uphill bikers almost always yield to downhill. It's something I still haven't completely gotten used to. I still pull off for hikers, and invariably it will lead to an impasse where I have to coax them back on the trail. There is one grumpy bike-hater at a local ride spot, but he just steps way off-trail and makes every effort to pretend I don't exist.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    It's funny how big a deal this is in some places. People get a taste of the "etiquette" and take it to new levels of self-importance. Why use common sense and courtesy when you can go on a power trip? That wasn't necessarily the norm in SLC, but it definitely existed.

I say it's funny, because the etiquette (or lack thereof) is the exact opposite here. Hikers go out of their way to move off the trail for bikers, and uphill bikers almost always yield to downhill. It's something I still haven't completely gotten used to. I still pull off for hikers, and invariably it will lead to an impasse where I have to coax them back on the trail. There is one grumpy bike-hater at a local ride spot, but he just steps way off-trail and makes every effort to pretend I don't exist.
    Around me, as well. I think most of them are just too surprised/dumbfounded to do anything else.

OMG, you mean you RIDE A BIKE on this stuff?!?!?!?
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    TheMessanger was even less successful a couple years back when he tried to single handedly "save" the LCC DH trail by riding his bike over people's tents in Tanners campground.

The best part is he probably brings his bike to Flowtron to be worked on (if he hasn't been asked to not return to the place already.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Like 1890s? Or farther back? Downhill yielding to uphill traffic was right of way long before "mountain biking" ever existed. It's in the vehicle code, it's standard. Seems logical to make things standard across transport modes but I guess brass tacks most people now don't know or give a shit about any of that, it's just anarchy.
    Totally. When a Mack logging truck is barreling a descent and I'm ascending in my pickup truck on the same one lane road: I hold my line.

Not because I'm afraid on broken bones and death, but because I disdain professional courtesy.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

My $4 Wal-mart bear bell has a magnetic "off" bag, but I only use it if I'm following someone downhill. Net result is that there are always hikers and bikers on the side of the trail when I'm coming down. For a while I felt a little bad 'breaking the rules' by holding my line when they had the right of way, but as a practical matter I scare no one so they're usually smiling and sometimes even comment on how nice it is to hear me coming. I go out of my way not to be a jerk at that moment, since my bell already got me everything I could have asked for anyway, so I tap the brakes and act like I hadn't expected them to get out of the way. Which of course I don't: I'm the one with the most at risk if I can't stop and we both dodge at the last possible moment. I'm not in denial about that, so I ride prepared. But the fact that 97% of hikers and 90% of uphill riders are already out of the way before I even see them is no cause for complaint. Highly recommend the bell.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    My $4 Wal-mart bear bell has a magnetic "off" bag, but I only use it if I'm following someone downhill. Net result is that there are always hikers and bikers on the side of the trail when I'm coming down. For a while I felt a little bad 'breaking the rules' by holding my line when they had the right of way, but as a practical matter I scare no one so they're usually smiling and sometimes even comment on how nice it is to hear me coming. I go out of my way not to be a jerk at that moment, since my bell already got me everything I could have asked for anyway, so I tap the brakes and act like I hadn't expected them to get out of the way. Which of course I don't: I'm the one with the most at risk if I can't stop and we both dodge at the last possible moment. I'm not in denial about that, so I ride prepared. But the fact that 97% of hikers and 90% of uphill riders are already out of the way before I even see them is no cause for complaint. Highly recommend the bell.
    Were do you hang that thing? It is 5" long which is huge from what I have been told.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Yo dude! Slow down!
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Totally. When a Mack logging truck is barreling a descent and I'm ascending in my pickup truck on the same one lane road: I hold my line.
    funny, usually people in this forum blow the bicyclists who don't get out of the way for cars and rant on about bike rights < shrug > just stated it's common code. how you choose to use/deploy it is up to you.

Were do you hang that thing? It is 5" long which is huge from what I have been told.
    I'm gonna assume you mean the bag with the magnet.... happily, the magnet covers that perfectly: pull it loose and it quickly finds a brake housing to stick to until it's needed again. If I'm concerned I'll push that direction as I let go of it. The wife has hers on the bar and I have mine on the stem and just now they're both stuck to the housing closest to the bell. I can usually apply it one handed thanks to the magnet. (Bell hangs below the bar/stem, obviously.)

Reminds me of seeing uphill bikers on LPS in Moab last weekend. Completely braindead idea.

They are like the Sturgeon of San Juan De Capistrano.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I only ride down trails to steep to climb up.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller