Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question for mags who've been to Argentina

So I first went in 2008, and paid the visa reciprocity fee upon arrival at EZE - it's supposed be good for 10 years, but I lost the receipt somewhere, prolly when I renewed my passport. Will be back in Buenos Aires again in a couple of weeks, and wondering if they keep a record of payees or if I'm SOL and have to pay again.

Anybody know?

Don't know. Maybe try to email one of the argentina consulates? I think there are two or three in the u.s.
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

Yeah, tried that, but they're notoriously bad at answering, as is the US State Department. Guess I could try again.

As the Argentines are notoriously bad at most things, but are eternally optimistic about everything. You'll end up paying.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    As the Argentines are notoriously bad at most things, but are eternally optimistic about everything. You'll end up paying.
    this. 6789

do you have your expired passport? that should have the old visa + payment stamp.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

From what I have read, if you don't have the receipt of payment, you won't be let in the country. Given the way things work down there, I wouldn't trust them to be able to look it up for you at customs. There is also a chance that the airline won't let you board to fly there without the receipt. The receipt should be in your old passport if you have it.

Quote Originally Posted by RiderX View Post
    From what I have read, if you don't have the receipt of payment, you won't be let in the country. Given the way things work down there, I wouldn't trust them to be able to look it up for you at customs. There is also a chance that the airline won't let you board to fly there without the receipt. The receipt should be in your old passport if you have it.
    I thought the visa is 10 years but does not exceed the life of the passport (10 years). The Chilean visa was/is the same way.

This suggests, however, that if you had the receipt you could use the current visa:
    http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...y_requirements

Sounds like Argentina, Paraguay, and Brazil have teamed up to try and discourage tourists. Brazil could get away with it, but stupid move on the part of Paraguay.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by cloud cult View Post
    Sounds like Argentina, Paraguay, and Brazil have teamed up to try and discourage tourists. Brazil could get away with it, but stupid move on the part of Paraguay.
    It's no change at all for Paraguay, they've never wanted tourists. A visa waiver's actually a step in the encouraging tourism direction for them.

There is also a chance that the airline won't let you board to fly there without the receipt.
    You don't pay/apply prior to departure. You pay on arrival in Argentina.

And yes without the receipt or the expired passport OP is paying again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I didnt think Argentina required a Visa? Maybe its just because I always enter via Brasil but Ive never given those elitist wanna be europeans a dime to enter.

It's not a visa.

It's a reciprocity fee.

On one trip I paid it before I left, the other upon arrival. Such is Arg. Hijack: I need to renew my passport. Do they return the old one back with the new one, it has sentimental value?

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    On one trip I paid it before I left, the other upon arrival. Such is Arg. Hijack: I need to renew my passport. Do they return the old one back with the new one, it has sentimental value?
    They used to return the old one, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    It's not a visa.

It's a reciprocity fee.
    this... they want their $120 plain and simple. Also $20 "departure" fee from Ushuaia

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    this... they want their $120 plain and simple. Also $20 "departure" fee from Ushuaia
    That's probably what I paid leaving Mendoza.

It's not a visa.

It's a reciprocity fee.
    IIRC, the rates match those charged to visiting nationals by the US.

You don't pay/apply prior to departure. You pay on arrival in Argentina.

And yes without the receipt or the expired passport OP is paying again.
    They changed the rules starting on Jan 7, 2013. You have to pay online ahead of time. From what I have read, they no longer allow you to pay on arrival.

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/ is the website.

Yes, I got my old expired passport back. It has the entrance/exit stamp that proves I was there, but no other way to prove I actually paid the reciprocity fee as the receipt is MIA.

Actually I did go back to Arg in 2011 with my new passport and didn't have to pay the reciprocity fee, but I think that was because I was flying into a regional airport (Mendoza) from Santiago, rather than into BA from the States. This time, I arrive at EZE from the US once again.

I also understand that you can't pay on arrival at EZE and was trying to figure out ahead of time if I should just bite the bullet and pay up ahead of time.

I guess I'll give the State Dept and/or the Argie consulate another call, though not expecting much in the way of service from either.

I do suspect I'll prolly end up paying again though, as other posters have mentioned

You might as well chance it and pay then rather then giving your lomo over to them online without even seeing if you can manipulate the a factor.

^^^ might sound weird out of context.

Better have a shitload of maté if you try to manipulate the A factor. Many have tried.

They changed the rules starting on Jan 7, 2013. You have to pay online ahead of time. From what I have read, they no longer allow you to pay on arrival.

https://virtual.provinciapagos.com.ar/ArgentineTaxes/ is the website.
    Thanks. Had not heard about that. I wonder if Airlines are refusing to carry passengers without one?

OP is probably even more fucked than before.

Thanks. Had not heard about that. I wonder if Airlines are refusing to carry passengers without one?

OP is probably even more fucked than before.

This is correct. They check when you board in the US and won't let you on the plane if you don't have the printout.

Also - I asked the immigration guys in BA when I went in September, and the official stance is that if you lose the paper, you're fucked and have to pony up again.
    Last edited by Speedfreak; 10-23-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

you should have a login and account on provincia pagos where you should be able to print out proof you paid.

q boludo q sos!

Just to update. Not surprisingly, it was impossible to get an answer from the Argie embassy/consulate, just got sent to phonemail hell and nobody ever replied to messages or emails. Yeah, like that was gonna happen. And US State Dept was similarly clueless. So I sucked it up and paid up through the provincia pagos site. At least it's online now, and I'm good through 2023.