Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

my $.02

wow, when I started reading this thread it was only 4 pages.

Great topic Bob. Gotta tell ya, my emotions were like the ocean waves ebb and flow as I read the entire thread.

I should have died years ago from stupidity, but a combination of luck, God's protection, my ability to pay attention to details and actually learn from the mountains and a few golden nuggets of info from books and others helped me along. Until this past season, I was a solid resort skier who dabbled in the BC. This is the first year in 16 years that I haven't owned a season pass - so I scrounge lift tix when I can and ski a lot of BC.

Am I better than you? Nah, just crazy enough to get up at the crack of 4:30 am to get some turns in before I have to go earn some $$ to keep my other love in life (my little family) moving forward. On the weekends I bum tickets from connections to ski the lifts with my oldest boy whose 6. When I dawn patrol, it means he gets a ride to school with the neighbors. He knows I love skiing BC - he knows that it's for the powder. I share my pics with him. I hope someday he'll join me in the BC.

There is something rewarding that comes from skiing the BC. Views, sunrises, fitness, untracked powder days after a storm, friendships, and a flurry of other things that often go un-noticed when I'm skiing fast and furious inbounds. Is it better? Most days, for me, yea. Do I dig rippin' inbounds? Oh yea, still get's me stoked.

This board is lifeless to me without the TR's. Sure I dig it when I post a TR and there are pages of internet high fives. It's pretty dang cool. But even cooler than that is the stoke I get of a "click, click" of the poles with guys like Trackhead, Xover, Powderboy, and nameless others at the end of a sick run, resort or BC, and I know that regardless of the photos and video, I've got an image in my mind that has impacted me and keeps me looking forward for the next time.

Long live skiing - wherever it takes place.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by powstash

Dude, just gotta say, your post rocked. Can I score this line for my new sig? Thanks, BE

well said sir powstash.
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Quote Originally Posted by AltaPowderDaze
    sounds good to me. pm me with any details.
    Like your new avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by gramps
    So basically a big to those people that are so cool they need to put other people down for things as petty as that. It's a matter of convenience, and I like thinking back on what I did that day.
    fuck you too gramps. You guys are pretty sensitive about your little tr's. Lighten up a bit.

Anyone who shits on a TR stoke thread should get skull fucked.
    Contrary to popular demand, Hell will not be freezing over.

Jesus fucking christ, this thread sucks a whole lotta ass.

This thread is representative of what's wrong with this country. If someone "dick-waves" and then someone else imitates said dick-waving and dies, well then thank god we live in a country where we all have the right to die pursuing the activities that we enjoy. Take some responsibility for your actions and force others to be responsible for their actions.

If someone feels compelled to travel unsafely in the BC because they saw someone do it on the Internet, in a TGR flick, television, or rap music, then let them do it. The gene pool always benefits from natural selection.

If some minor (a child) reads a TR and dies in and avalanche because they imitate and feel the need to be "core", well then his or her parents should wake up and take some responsibility. Where are this kids' parents when he's off flailing around in the mountains?

This is a skiing forum and anytime someone does something cool on skis, they should feel welcome to spray about it here. Call it what you want, love it, hate it, feel it, ignore it -- it is skiing and that's what this board is about, for the most part. I don't mind (infact, greatly appreciate!) the wide diversity of other topics that appear hear (especially NSFW Friday threads -- mmmm, boobies) but I'll always be in favor of almost anything skiing related, dick waving or not.
    Last edited by Twoplanker; 03-16-2005 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satan
    Anyone who shits on a TR stoke thread should get skull fucked.
    I hear ya, Prince O' Darkness!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler
    fuck you too gramps. You guys are pretty sensitive about your little tr's. Lighten up a bit.
    Oh shit, I insulted Lou, please don't say anything bad in you blog!!!

I was just kind of pissed that people were taking the timing of my posts and assuming I was doing it to be stroked on the internet, when that's (mostly) not the case. Obviously not a big deal.

Oh shit, I insulted Lou, please don't say anything bad in you blog!!!

I was just kind of pissed that people were taking the timing of my posts and assuming I was doing it to be stroked on the internet, when that's (mostly) not the case. Obviously not a big deal.
    It's very clear to me that those who post TRs frequently are not doing it for the stroking. But even if they are, that's cool too, in my opinion, becauset this is a forum about SKIING!

Quote Originally Posted by powstash
    wow, when I started reading this thread it was only 4 pages.

Great topic Bob. Gotta tell ya, my emotions were like the ocean waves ebb and flow as I read the entire thread.

I should have died years ago from stupidity, but a combination of luck, God's protection, my ability to pay attention to details and actually learn from the mountains and a few golden nuggets of info from books and others helped me along. Until this past season, I was a solid resort skier who dabbled in the BC. This is the first year in 16 years that I haven't owned a season pass - so I scrounge lift tix when I can and ski a lot of BC.

Am I better than you? Nah, just crazy enough to get up at the crack of 4:30 am to get some turns in before I have to go earn some $$ to keep my other love in life (my little family) moving forward. On the weekends I bum tickets from connections to ski the lifts with my oldest boy whose 6. When I dawn patrol, it means he gets a ride to school with the neighbors. He knows I love skiing BC - he knows that it's for the powder. I share my pics with him. I hope someday he'll join me in the BC.

There is something rewarding that comes from skiing the BC. Views, sunrises, fitness, untracked powder days after a storm, friendships, and a flurry of other things that often go un-noticed when I'm skiing fast and furious inbounds. Is it better? Most days, for me, yea. Do I dig rippin' inbounds? Oh yea, still get's me stoked.

This board is lifeless to me without the TR's. Sure I dig it when I post a TR and there are pages of internet high fives. It's pretty dang cool. But even cooler than that is the stoke I get of a "click, click" of the poles with guys like Trackhead, Xover, Powderboy, and nameless others at the end of a sick run, resort or BC, and I know that regardless of the photos and video, I've got an image in my mind that has impacted me and keeps me looking forward for the next time.

Exactly! I like skiing too.
    There's a world out there full of color, dreams, and imagination. What are you waiting for?

Talking

I like the chest beating, dick waving TRs the best.

Modesty is so played.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc
    I get the feeling that the urge to get out there and post stuff can and will overcome the common sense that comes with time.

BobMc
    I agree. TR's are great; doing something just to post here is dick waving.

I think of the BC TRs on here as building a database of information, pow pics and beta pictures.
    If this is your data base, then BobMc is doublely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoplanker
    But even if they are, that's cool too, in my opinion, becauset this is a forum about SKIING!
    What did you think about the february issue? I really liked the technique article about introducing linked turns on black diamond slopes.

Wow what a thread. I first posted back on the Pow board because I thought I might find some interested skiers to come up and ski the bc of Shneedorf. I was getting a little out there with all the soloing. I still am.

North of South, South of North, West of East
    I really agree entirely with BobMc's initial post. There is a huge frenzy, basically comprised of 18-25 y/o males, heading into the BC. I see it here in the Southeast where the people I talk to about my journeys out West want to know about any "out-of-bounds" areas I skiied. It's fueled by the media, I sit here with the March/April edition of SKIING which has a cover story "DRIVE-BY CHUTING, Our Guide To Spring-Skiing North America's Top 5 Mountain Passes". All of the areas mentioned are BC areas, hmmm, Red Mtn Pass, never any avalanches there, Rodgers Pass, sounds pretty safe to me, I've never heard of any casualties there. Yes, the mag mentions avy gear(nowhere do they mention the need for training with said gear) and guides, but only in the small print.

I don't know if it is complete ignorance on the part of those folks heading out, a disregard for personal safety in order to get the goods, or just the need for some good dick waving in front of your buds.

I'm from TN, I don't know jackshit about how to assess avy danger, I have a small dick, I'm not core, and I don't ski OB.

Maybe someday some of those factors may change and I will make some forays into the backcountry.

Until then I sleep well knowing that the Sheriff of Summit Co. UT won't be calling my wife to inform her that her husband and children's father was killed in an avalanche in Wolverine Cirque.

You can't safeguard people from themselves in every stage of life but I think the skiing centered media needs to be doing a better job of letting people know that they can get killed very easily doing what they see in the mags and movies.
    Last edited by teledave; 03-16-2005 at 01:31 PM.
    I should probably change my username to IReallyDon'tTeleMuchAnymoreDave.

in regards to gaper user and his HARDCORFOFONESS

Hugh Conway Guest
    UT BC Hardcore represent!

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    whats goin on
    my jong ass musta missed this
    yo bob
    its like the whippy stick
    only usually way more energies
    and the consequences of fuckin up usually way less
    unless your rowing or wading the sick gnars
    as always the invitation to join an addiction is always open
    i like the stokes no matters where it comes from
    and im stoked i got to ski with a lot of these mags who dont even post here more than a decade later
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    oh and i was looking for the studfinder as a beacon thread for bunny
    but
    #searchsucks
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    oh and i was looking for the studfinder as a beacon thread for bunny
    but
    #searchsucks
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...ad.php?t=46867

Quote Originally Posted by elguapo435 View Post
    I'd been trying to come up with a way to get out the gates by Gad II and hit some that Tiger Tail goodness, but you have to check in with patrol and they want you to have an avalanche bacon. I couldn't afford one, but after a little research I found way around it. All you need are some old backpack straps (an easy find at DI) then go to a home center (like Lowes or Home Depot) and buy one of those studfinders with the little lights if you push a button on the side and the clip for going on a belt. They're only like 10 bucks. Then you clip it onto the old packback straps and wear it under your coat. When someone asks if you have a beacon open your coat just enough for them to see something in there. It works everytime. I'll try to post some pics in the next couple of days to show the process, but it's really easy. It actually looks pretty real.

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I like looking at pictures of people skiing interesting terrain in deep snow while I am at work in cubicle land
    Nearly 13 years later this statement still holds up.