Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vitamix = worth the money?

Thinking about getting a Vitamix. Are these things really worth the dough? My old POS cheap-o blender needs an upgrade and I have no problem spending the money if these really are the bees knees.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Not sure if this is troll for Avantlink?

If you use a blender a LOT, it's worth it. I gave SWMBO shit when she bought one, but I do admit that it does an awesome job on smoothies and frozen drinks. I haven't used it for real cooking yet (e.g., sauces, veggie purees), but I suspect it will give mea smoother, mor econsistent result than the old blender.

I have never regretted buying mine.

If you are going to go for it, go all in, and get the deluxe that includes a second 'dry' blender too. It is great, really makes use of the power of the vitamix. It allows you to grind up spices (and even sticks if you want). Costs a bit more, but I think gives much better value to the Vitamix.

Unless you do all the cooking things ( you then would already have a food processor), there are many options that do not cost as much. Hell, you can buy a blender each year and never reach a vitamix price. Blenders last a few years, you can repair them for not much....do the math.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Das obviously doesn't own one, much less used one and it shows.

It's worth the money in every way. You will not regret getting it. Not going to repeat what has been said.

If you want to save money get a refurbished model direct from Vitamix with a full warranty.
    I still call it The Jake.

The Mrs. got one last year after burning out a couple Kitchen Aid blenders and I gave her a ton of crap about it...however, it's upped my daily fruit/veggie (especially green veggies) intake probably 50 fold or more since we got it. The kids daily (and willingly) consume way more fruits/veggies since we got it. Plus, it improved my homemade bloodymary immeasurably. Like ate'em, Mrs. Slow went "all in" and got the nicest one with the dry pitcher. I hate myself for admitting it, but it was well worth it.

yep, they be worth it.
    watch out for snakes

The base can be bought as a refurb for about $100... We did that andit's pretty much perfect. Glad we didn't drop 5 bills on a new one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Got a blendtech here. Chuck Norris doesn't blend though..

Sent from my XT10git80 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by reganized View Post
    Got a blendtech here. Chuck Norris doesn't blend though..

Sent from my XT10git80 using TGR Forums
    I bought the Ninja one year. Didn't last worth shit. Glorified power tools, but the plastic accessories were the thing that failed.

Any glass blender will work acceptably if not filled too full.
    Terje was right.

unfamiliar w/ vitamix.

what can you do with them that you can't with an immersion blender?
    I've found an immersion blender more useful than an glass blender, at least for what I've been cooking lately.

What use is a "dry blender"? have not yet had a need to blend spices, but maybe I'm missing something?

Purchased one a year ago, use it daily for breakfast. Great purchase, wish I had gotten one earlier. Purchased mine at Costco, so it will be the last blender I buy.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    I bought the Ninja one year. Didn't last worth shit. Glorified power tools, but the plastic accessories were the thing that failed.

Who cares if the pitcher is glass? It has no impact on performance. A regular blender will never completely blend most vegetables. You can run that fucker for 10 min. A regular blender has 1/4 the utility of a high performance blender like the Vitamix or Blendtec. They are also much easier to clean.

I have a blendtec and it will puree anything. I've tried to make my vegetable smoothies with other people's blenders and they just don't blend. It ends up lumpy with pieces of kale, spinach, carrots etc messing up the consistancy.

Just saw this today:
    http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f..._s_appeal.html

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47
    Who cares if the pitcher is glass? It has no impact on performance.
    It's not just the pitcher. The blades on the Ninja are mounted on a plastic spindle. That's the weak link in that blender.

We've been going back and forth about getting a Vitamix for a while now. Gonna pull the trigger at Christmas time this year if not before.

In case anyone isn't aware of it, check this link for their reconditioned units. The 5200 is (gasp) only $329. Free shipping codes are available online as well if you hunt around a bit.
    https://secure.vitamix.com/Certified...-Products.aspx
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Anita bought a Blendtec a few years ago. Glad we got it.

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post

I find it remarkable how you continue to comment on a subject that you obviously know nothing about.

Slate had an article on Vitamix this w/e. That said, I have a friend that went gaga over his for several months an then the novelty wore off.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/f..._s_appeal.html

knowing that you cook for yourself, it'll be a great addition. We use ours a bunch. Soups, purees and smoothies have me loving it.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I have had mine for six months and it gets used at least once a day, I love it. Daily green smoothies have drastically upped my fruit/veggie intake and I also use it to make hummus that blows anything you'll get at the grocery store out of the water. I also dig using it to make hot soup, the blades spin so fast it becomes piping hot after like 5-6 minutes.

And of course it can whip up some bitchin cocktails. Or dispose of a body. Whatever you're into.

I've also found that when you're in a pinch and need to turn rocks to dust nothing beats a Vitamix.

The old models if you buy used, are not BPA free and any heating can release toxic plastic. Glass is always better
    Terje was right.

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    I also dig using it to make hot soup, the blades spin so fast it becomes piping hot after like 5-6 minutes.
    That's not soup. That's hot baby food.

Yeah, be careful when you take the container off the base, the coupler get fkn hot. Burned my hand only once.
    watch out for snakes