Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Helmets Are Cool

Surprised this hasn't ever been discussed here? Seems helmets are a good thing?!

Anyhow, been rocking a brain bucket for 40 years now. If you ride without one, you're a fool and need to watch this*:
    http://vimeo.com/77008826

*And that includes you, Rog.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 10-21-2013 at 09:19 AM.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

helmets ARE cool!!!! i support wearing a helmet during all action sports and the right to not wear one for adults!!!!!!!!!!!!

I like my ski hats, thank you

rog

Paging Rog... Oh wait... Damn it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinalTap View Post
    I'm really troubled by whatever pictures the Don had to search through to arrive at that one...

rog

Helmets HAVEN'T been discussed here??????

?????????????????????????????

????????????????

????????

????

??

?

Anybody gonja tell him that the video is missing?
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

There are a few people on this forum I wish didn't wear helmets. One of them glorifies not wearing one so that's good.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Surprised this hasn't ever been discussed here? Seems helmets are a good thing?!

Anyhow, been rocking a brain bucket for 40 years now. If you ride without one, you're a fool and need to watch this*:

*And that includes you, Rog.
    TGR's favorite chick US racer linked this a couple days ago on her twatter acct

Gumper says it best at 1:40:

If you want to wear a helmet wear one. Quit preaching about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Anybody gonja tell him that the video is missing?
    Works on my laptop?... Linkage:

There's several mags involved with this vid, and it's about some serious shit, so definitely belongs here.

I don't care what you do or wear on the hill, but it's some great information to have. I do believe in giving blood, but I made a big mess of the local hill already.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    There are a few people on this forum I wish didn't wear helmets. One of them glorifies not wearing one so that's good.
    When I think of Advres, I always think of a meat helmet for some reason.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:

You think of penis's when you think of me? Sorry bro, but I don't swing that ghey.

Now stop fucking up BD's thread about important brain buckets.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

that's funny shit! not afraid to go helmetless, but too afraid to fly.

No I agree! Helmets are sweet! Case in point: just the other day I was riding the lift and some JONG put the bar down! The bar hit me in the head! What an idiot...all I can say is "boy I'm glad I was wearing my helmet."

Behold my fluffy goodness, you bastard.

Nice video, BigDaddy! Thanks for the link...I'm gonna look into a POC helmet for my next helmet..seem so much lighter than an old Bell.

I have done and continue to do some outlandish things in my life. It's something I have a passion for. Sometimes when I think back on the crazy things I have done it gives me shudders. I recollect a pair of goggles that I was wearing that had one side totally obliterated, almost melted by a high tree stump that I all but missed when I was around 13 and flew off the lip of a trail and into the woods. Another inch or two?? Shit like that makes me realize that life is not as simple and unguided as we may think and that there does seem to be some main plan. Just two more inches between me and some eternal void that day?? I wasn't wearing a helmet that day...and back then, kids just didn't wear them...not even for a race. Back then, unless you were ice-climbing or caving, helmets just weren't cool. I, for one, am glad times have changed!

I have no problem with people who have a passion about safety.

Posted by DJSapp:

In the old days when you never wore a helmet, then you had to put one on for a race or a contest...holy shit did I feel ready to charge all of a sudden as soon as I put one on.

It's nice to go out without one every once in a while...just like it's nice to go out with a fullface every once in a while. It's good to mix it up a little.

Helmets have saved me several times on motocross, road bikes and most recently on my mtn bike.

It just seems natural to wear it skiing, but like most of us old phucks we didn't grow up wearing them on the hill. I started as a role model for my kids and now I can't imagine not wearing one. I think they're comfortable and plus where would you mount the cam to catch the gnar?

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    In the old days when you never wore a helmet, then you had to put one on for a race or a contest...holy shit did I feel ready to charge all of a sudden as soon as I put one on.
    I don't have much against helmets except this - I see people who will ride very conservatively without helmets and turn into morons when they put a helmet on. Yes, lets blindly launch backflips off cliffs onto boilerplate... rad. The helmet isn't going to protect you from shattering your legs, arms, and core into oblivion (sometimes it won't stop your head from being destroyed either). I think there are some people who misjudge how much protection a helmet really gives them. That being said, they do save a lot of lives/brains from becoming significantly handicapped - especially when hitting hard objects at a low to medium speed (stupid fuckups when you're off guard or fooling around).

Also, after watching the video - If you're trying to make a serious point with a hashtag: #Fuckyou #YOLOSWAG420LIKEABAWS

big daddy thanx .. was defidently worth watching and I wear a helmet....I predict that in the future all ski/board resorts will make it mandatory....its only a matter of time, that if you don't wear a helmet you crash hard and start to wear one, if your lucky to get that second chance.....

Going to use this in health class during first aid.....
    always forward but never straight

Cool vid.

I appreciate helmets quite a bit... When I was in high school, a car ran a red light on a highway as I was riding my bike. I didn't see him coming or probably assumed he was going to stop, and got smoked by the guy going like 50 - he was looking for something on the floor of his car apparently. I didn't have a helmet on. The only thing I remember, is looking over and seeing a flash of white from the car, and then waking up on a backboard, with an oxygen mask on my face, blurry faces of the EMT's over me asking me questions, getting loaded into an ambulance. I was out cold for about 20 mins - and don't remember most of that day. Diagnosed with severe concussion - luckily no 'permanent' damage... Missed about 6 moths of activity due to some other injuries - and when I got back into things, had concussion problems ever since. I've been knocked unconscious three times since even from seemingly minor impacts (with helmets on). The problem is that if you wait to wear a helmet until after your first incident - it's too late. Future impacts become much more likely to affect you after the first injury. The key is to prevent the first impact from causing significant damage.

Since then - I've worn a helmet doing anything active. But because I had a significant injury without a helmet to start the ball rolling, I've definitely lost some short term memory capability, and my mom would argue that I'm more of an asshole now than I ever was too... but that could be just because I am an a-hole...? Who knows. Mood swings can be a symptom of head injuries.

The point is - Head injuries can happen in a flash. To anyone. I understand the 'to each his own' mantra some have... and that there are skeptics who think the industry, and this video is just a money ploy. After all it is an industry in a world driven by revenue - but ultimately helmets make sense. Most won't truly understand until something happens to them, or someone close to them.

I do think it takes one stubborn SOB to not wear one for reasons like vanity, comfort, cost, pride, cool factor.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

helmet saved me ,a few times....But ,as a risktaker ;i will continue to go helmetless sometimes.Especially hiking Backcountry.No way will I deal with steamy helmet /goggle fog. The days i am helmetless ,have a safe -approach feel to skiin'...while my cozy helmet impedes peripheal vision(deff wear it on busy POW days,or if i wanna get jumpy)
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

any helmet can be 'cool'...just carve'' SlayeR'' on it !
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz

Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    No I agree! Helmets are sweet! Case in point: just the other day I was riding the lift and some JONG put the bar down! The bar hit me in the head! What an idiot...all I can say is "boy I'm glad I was wearing my helmet."
    Happens to me about two or three times a year, possibly the #1 reason I use one. The other nice thing is when the wind is howling and snow is pelting you as the chair is stuck for 10 minutes, that wind proof ABS hard shell is toasty.

^^^^^^pretty silly to be glad yer wearing a helmet for when the bar comes down and hits/has hit yer head. If yer gonna be that oblivious to what's going on around you , you should be wearing a helmet for every day tasks. Same with helmets and tree skiing. Don't hit the branches with yer head cuz you have a helmet on. Pay attention and simply duck. You ski trees with the helmet wearing mindset and a snag/whack could turn into something much worse. Helmets have made many skiers ski much more stupid IMO

Rog

Rog, not everybody wants to ski at a walking pace making tiny little turns everywhere.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer