Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Likely my last update to this novel, but hopefully it helps others that are looking at narrow boots. The Head Raptor B3 RD boot slots in between the Redster and the Dobie WC EDT. The heal pocket is wider than the Dobie, but narrower than the Redster. the mid and forefoot are also narrower than the Redster, and possibly narrower than Dobie. Haven't had them on side by side yet.

For me, w/ my tiny ankles and low instep I am sold on the Dobie WC EDT shape. That heal pocket is awesome. I have found it impossible or very difficult to long term make a heal pocket that is too large smaller and so almost use that area as the deciding factor. The rest can be ground or stretched. Even there the Dobie WC seems to fit my foot. I would say its more like a piece of pizza (Super narrow in heal, but wider as you move forward) than the Head which seems narrow throughout. I think I would likely have to grind more on the Head, but would need some padding long term in the heal pocket. Head liner seems very solid and on par w/ Dobie liner. I think the Redster might be my slight favorite amongst the three liners, but only slightly. It feels a smidge thicker while still being dense.
    He who has the most fun wins!

A couple of last thoughts as my home boot store is getting packaged up and the Brown Santa will come and take them all away.

The Head B3 is actually pretty dang close to the Dobie WC EDT 130 in terms of fit/narrowness. The Head is a real nice boot and if price were no object I would likely opt for it. I like the liner a smidge more, the adjustable flex is also nice. Definitely splitting hairs on this one so I would buy whichever is cheaper.

My wife has also had a bunch of Dobie WC 100's. She says that the '14 black model does fit differently than the EDT last. Sounds like the '14 model is a bit tighter. She always like the original matte black Dobie WC 100's or Xsoft's and wasn't totally sold on the EDT last. It was close, but not quite right. Wish I could tell you what specifically is different, but she isn't great at narrowing it down to specific differences.

Off the subject, but i have a brand new pair of head raptors 150, couple years old. I would give away. $50 shipped. They are just sitting in my garage.
    still have tags on them. Retail is around 800 i think.

^^Size? If 27.X, I'll call dibs now...
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have been running the raptor b3 for the last few seasons. Best boot I have had in years.

PSA: skiyard has a number of race boots on sale. http://skiyard.com/collections/boots?page=1

Most boots are only available in 1-2 sizes, but totally worth it if they're your size. Except there's almost full run of Scorpion 150s for $130: http://skiyard.com/collections/boots...-8-5-uk-204012

Just picked up some Lange ZBs for $240 (considered the ZC, but they didn't have my size). If you're looking for something particular, check back regularly, as their stock seems to change almost randomly. Nabbed jesski some Head Raptor B5s for $300 a few months back.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

New question:

Have the Lange / Rossi ZA/ZB series boots changed at all in the last 5 years?

Have the two brands been the same that whole time?

Skiyard and ASO gear have some very affordable older versions and wanted to see if anything had changed. Was in getting footbeds made by Brent at Park City Ski Boot and he mentioned my Dobies WC EDT 130's were a 95mm last and that I would be better off in one of these... Not sure I feel like dealing since I'm very comfortable right now, but the price sure is right...

The liner was updated 2-3 seasons ago (2015 I think). The updated ones are way nicer, IMO, with a larger neoprene toe box. Like a zipfit but lower volume. Not sure about other changes.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    The liner was updated 2-3 seasons ago (2015 I think). The updated ones are way nicer, IMO, with a larger neoprene toe box. Like a zipfit but lower volume. Not sure about other changes.
    So this one is likely the older one, https://skiyard.com/collections/boot...ant=7250435011

Thanks!

Yes, I'm pretty sure those are the older one based on the color. I think these have the newer one:
    https://skiyard.com/collections/boot...nt=37988337222
    https://skiyard.com/collections/boot...-boots-lbd9240

Like I said, there may be other changes and the liner may be updated since 2015. My 6th met head (tailor's bunion) can't handle the width of the 2014 liner but the 2015 liner is comfortable. You might be just fine in the 2014 liner.

photos

Damn. Figures... Don't have my size in the newer one and I'm guessing that is definitely worth something. Thanks!

It might not be that big of a deal -- you're going to have a pay a bootfitter for hours of punching and grinding the sole for DIN spec anyway, so unless you're in tight with a bootfitter, you won't save that much money by buying from skiyard anyway. If you don't need hours and hours of work done to get the 92 last to fit your feet, then there's a high probability you'll be fine in the narrower liner.

photos

I only need the toes ground, and a punch over my arch. Otherwise have always been good in the old Dobie Soft's... So some work, but not a ridiculous amount. Thx for info.

Rather than start a new thread I thought that it would be best to add questions here. I hope that's ok. My problem is that I have a very long, and very narrow foot. I can get into a size 29, but it generally needs work to get a big of extra length. As nowhere near here stocks full on race boots, let alone in a size 29, I am limited to ordering online, and then taking them to a boot fitter

I would be very interested to hear if anybody on here has been in the new Atomic Redster, with the 92mm last? I have had versions of the old 95mm in a 130 and 150 flex, but had been looking at the Rossi / Lange 92mm boots as the 95mm last was still quite big on my foot. If anybody has been in the 92mm last Atomic I would really appreciate any info on fit, whether in comparison to the old Atomic, or the Lange.

Also if anybody can shed any light on how the ZA and ZB flexes compare to other plug 130/150 boots it would be very useful.

Thanks.

Sorry, nothing to add regarding the fit of the Lange. However in ski yard there is a 29 (UK 10) Nordica Dobermann EDT 130 93mm last boot for a good price. And if I am not mistaken, they may the lowest volume of the bunch. Don't quote me on that though.

Thank you very much for your help. Unfortunately I did have a version of this boot (admittedly when it was 95mm last) and it came up very short. It was a 330mm bsl compared to 335mm on the Atomic and it was very obvious inside the boot. My big toenails were completely black very quickly and skiing was not fun. Unless I could confirm that the newer models had more length I would be too scared to try again. Thanks anyway.

I went from the RS140 to the Club Sport Redster (95 last) to the ZB just this season due to broken shell issues. Skiing wise, I’d say skiing best to worst with the stock liners it goes ZB, RS140, Club Sport Redster. I did think the ZB was a little too stiff with two screws in it, and initially way too soft with only one screw, but I grew to like the feel after a bit.

Interestingly enough, I really liked the Atomic Clubsport Redster with the Lange RS140 liner in it. Not sure why but it skied awesome and felt great too.

I’ve been also playing around with the thickest Intuition Pro Tour liner in XT Freetour 130 and it’s been pretty good. The thick liner hasn’t seemed to pack out yet and it skis pretty good.

What about the instep of the plug's? Who has the lowest instep? How does the Lange ZA compare to the Head B3 to the Dobie WC in this area?

Am I crazy to think about a lange ZA or ZB for freeskiing?

I find the rx130 to be a bit soft at times and wouldn't mind a more precise fit.

I'll have other boots for traveling or really cold days.

I'm also pondering moving up a size as I'm tired of having my toes get the shit beat out of them. Really tight shell fit for freeskiing is getting old.

Thinking the lower volume with slightly longer length might make me happy. Thoughts from the collective?

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

I find the rx130 to be a bit soft at times and wouldn't mind a more precise fit.

I'm also pondering moving up a size as I'm tired of having my toes get the shit beat out of them. Really tight shell fit for freeskiing is getting old.

Thinking the lower volume with slightly longer length might make me happy. Thoughts from the collective?
    Check out the Head Raptor 140 RS. I’m super super happy. I tried the ZB for free skiing, they didn’t work. The Raptor is 94/95 last, and works perfect.

The Raptor is actually a 130 out of the box, and you can add bolts to the spine to get it up to a 140, and maybe a 150? I haven’t added the 140 screw and haven’t really even considered it.

My only knock is the liner only lasted one season. I replaced them with Zipfit Corsica and am super happy with the ZipFit, but I’m only two half days into skiing them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I ski a ZB with a zipfit for freeride/freestyle/whatever. Didn’t grow up racing and I’m 170lbs. I think the ZA flexes like the rx130 and the ZB is a bit more.

I love the power and anytime I ski anything else it really feels unsubstantial, especially laterally. The boots allow me to ski hard and have made me a better skier.

They definitely don’t fit like the 97mm last though, even if you go up a size you will probably need a lot of grinding to fit your foot.

Taking them off when it’s cold is my only complaint, but if you have strong hands it’s not really an issue.

Oh and if you do get plugs, get the cast hardboot soles for the bottom as they are awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Check out the Head Raptor 140 RS. I’m super super happy. I tried the ZB for free skiing, they didn’t work. The Raptor is 94/95 last, and works perfect.

The Raptor is actually a 130 out of the box, and you can add bolts to the spine to get it up to a 140, and maybe a 150? I haven’t added the 140 screw and haven’t really even considered it.

My only knock is the liner only lasted one season. I replaced them with Zipfit Corsica and am super happy with the ZipFit, but I’m only two half days into skiing them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah the Raptor 140 is on my radar for sure, I like the slightly more aggressive forward lean, and the fact that a 27.5 is pretty short, effectively splitting the difference between the 26.5 and 27.5 Lange.

Speaking of which, is the stance on a ZB have more forward lean or is it the same as an rx/rs?

Been skiing Doberman plug boots for almost a decade now and Wei never go back to anything else. The only downside is that when I go touring I realize how bad all touring boots suck.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post

I think this is a very viable approach, provided the heel instep perimeter is ok.

Yeah the Raptor 140 is on my radar for sure, I like the slightly more aggressive forward lean, and the fact that a 27.5 is pretty short, effectively splitting the difference between the 26.5 and 27.5 Lange.

Speaking of which, is the stance on a ZB have more forward lean or is it the same as an rx/rs?
    Just skied a ZA - stupid crazy forward lean from my RX. Couldn’t free ski it- it only made 1 type of cross under SL turns on a moderate pitch... that’s it.