Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    My folks must of had 4 or 5 of them while I was growing up and have continuously owned them since before I was born, I spent so many goddamn hours in Veedub vans that I could never own one now. My mom still clings to her Vanagons even after the previous one spontaneously combusted and burned out on the side of the freeway. I'll still borrow when needed though because it does conveniently fit a full sheet of plywood/sheetrock inside.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Motogiro's 84 in the foreground and my 03 Eurovan in the background. His is constant work and mine is 10 years with 185,000 and no issues other that a stupid door handle. Leaving mañana for a few days in the desert riding.

Same 84 at Red Rocks for Further in September

あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

wow, what a quality thread!

Had a '73 for a year or so. Can't find any photos of it, there may not be any, but it looked kind of like this, except for it was faded as fuck...

Got it in '87 after I wrecked my Suzuki GS850. I was done with road bikes, wanted something like a van, and a hippie i worked with wanted to get a road bike and had a van. We swapped titles, I gave him $100 to clean it up and fix the handlebars.

Only had it for a year or so, not quite exactly sure what happened to it, it did make it over Teton Pass once, but the next year I had a car. Huh. Now i'm wondering...thinking it started having issues and i traded or sold it for next to nothing...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Dude! $7,500... That needs a shelter! That's on the endangered species list!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-B...US_Cars_Trucks

^^^Nice Van Hans. I went a different route and spent my money on the powerplant. Now I have some body issues to address (Seam rust, grrr). 86' Syncro with a Bostig Engine Conversion (2.0L Zetec). Sacrilege, I know.

4 people, 2 dogs and 35 salmon fit in that van that evening. It was a bit tight.

My buddy had an '86. Fun times, but not reliable at all.

As cool as they are, this is more my style these days:

Diesel, $x$, sleeps 4 comfortably, and has enough power to pull a boat.
    It is on the lottery list.

Just before I sold my 73 I was under it for some reason and I could see why my heat/defrost never worked worth a shit

The heat came down a big pipe from the engine out back to up front where there was supposed to be a coupling to connect that pipe and whatever delivered the heat/defrost up front but that coupling sleeve was rusted away completely

If mine rusted away completely in < 10 yrs I wonder how many others had done the same?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Spent many road trips in a buddy's 82 Westy.

He dropped the aircooled out shortly after he got is and put in a 1.7l watercooled from a Jetta. That changed it drastically.

He later put in a 2.0L and it was trouble free for many miles.

Recently he's add a fleet, found a 82 diesel Westy and 84 with sunroof that were just rusty away in some guys drive way. Bought them both and a TDi for peanuts. This winter he plans to drop the TDi into the Sunroof van to work out the kinks and put another TDi motor he has into his original 82.

I'd like to get a mid to late 80's Westy. Ditch the wasserboxer for a TDi and add either a locker or limited slip. No need for a full Syncro, just get it from 1wd to an actual 2wd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG 
Views:	172 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	142834

1986 Weekender. Garaged for now, about to part ways. I have had some troubles with it, but I think there has been more fun with it.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post

Nice rig for sale spotted at the Boulder library parking lot, the lot use to be full of campers back in the early '90's when it was still cool to camp there overnight and you didn't need to worry about being busted by 5-0.

LOL. (Yes "LoL"....I say "LoL" now...get over it. ) I love those cartoons!!

...and that converted microbus in Boulder is more my style!!! I wonder if it has a small woodstove??
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Spent many road trips in a buddy's 82 Westy.

He dropped the aircooled out shortly after he got is and put in a 1.7l watercooled from a Jetta. That changed it drastically.

He later put in a 2.0L and it was trouble free for many miles.

Recently he's add a fleet, found a 82 diesel Westy and 84 with sunroof that were just rusty away in some guys drive way. Bought them both and a TDi for peanuts. This winter he plans to drop the TDi into the Sunroof van to work out the kinks and put another TDi motor he has into his original 82.

I'd like to get a mid to late 80's Westy. Ditch the wasserboxer for a TDi and add either a locker or limited slip. No need for a full Syncro, just get it from 1wd to an actual 2wd.
    Is that real? I would love just a 2wd rear wheel van.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

If you're really interested. www.thesamba.com. Like I said, unless you've got really deep pockets or do the wrenching yourself stick with a lesbaru. A TDI is an awesome powerplant and an entirely different ball game. When my inline 4 gives up the ghost I'm gonna drop one in.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanos View Post
    ^^^Nice Van Hans. I went a different route and spent my money on the powerplant. Now I have some body issues to address (Seam rust, grrr). 86' Syncro with a Bostig Engine Conversion (2.0L Zetec). Sacrilege, I know.

4 people, 2 dogs and 35 salmon fit in that van that evening. It was a bit tight.
    I think I saw you in TKA over the summer.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Westy got new shoes!
    Been driving around on some pretty old Michelins, not feeling too comfortable at high speeds.
    Went with some NEXEN SV820's. They have a bit more meat to the tread than anything else I could find that are reasonably priced with a pretty high load rating.

So-
    The girls are out of town, the pass is open..

Road Trip!

Spur of the moment trip to the Chewack River with my boy to the land of many drunken mountain biking trips 20 some years ago.

A bit less snow than I expected.

The spot by the river was wide open, no one around, didn't expect that either.

River was high, that I expected.

Golf disaster.

Flowers, cause we're gay.

Fire, cause we're gay.

Quick return, nice escape from the rain.

My baby's driving pretty damn good today.

Westfalia, Type II, Bus, Vanagon, and all air cools!

74 Bus weekend Camper for sale

Nederland has new city ordinance that a vehicle needs to be registered in order to keep around.

I dont have the time for a project so anyone interested in a restoration project feel free to contact
    me through TGR or The Samba site.

Edit:
    Never mind, keeping it, it's lawn art now.
    Last edited by mud; 06-03-2018 at 11:35 AM.

You can't keep an unregistered vehicle on private property? Or do you park it on the street?

Nice little TR skajah. Looks like fun. Shame about the frisbee. Also, I didn't know fire is for gay people.

'85 Westy

Wife's parent bought it at the factory so its more than just a RV to her. We had been limping the 1.8l through various engine problems, replacing plastic parts, fixing fridge, and spending too much $. Threw a rod/cracked block a couple months ago and so we put a rebuilt engine into it - $7K

Fun camping in the thing but a money pit for sure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VW.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	155581  
    Last edited by smitchell333; 05-19-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    You can't keep an unregistered vehicle on private property? Or do you park it on the street?
    It's parked in the back yard and yeah no unregistered vehicles allowed unless stored in a garage. No garage out there so figured it's time to sell. It would only cost about $1K to ship it cross country but I don't really have the time to restore it anyway. Already have ten inquires since listing it and two solid people interested so it will probably go quick.

Stumbled upon this today. Its an hour south of Austin TX. Almost pulled the trigger and still thinking about it. $3500 and not a lick of rust. High miles, 143k. 1 owner with all documentation. Says it runs well. Shipping to the mid Atlantic would be what? $1000.00.

Seems like a steal for a cherry body. Limited Edition. Maybe find a local old friend or mag in the area to do some recon.

not that I know much about Westfalia but if a modern retro looking van was available just like what hey did to the VW Beetle I think they would sell like hotcakes !
    think of a safe vehicle with AWD and that 60's look with eco-friendly designs and materials. It would appeal to a broad range of buyers or is that the opposite of what Westfalia is all about ?
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

I know I have showed my buddy Nate's on this forum before.

He likes his Dubs.

Personally I would LOVE a mid-80's Syncro Westie.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post

Stumbled upon this today. Its an hour south of Austin TX. Almost pulled the trigger and still thinking about it. $3500 and not a lick of rust. High miles, 143k. 1 owner with all documentation. Says it runs well. Shipping to the mid Atlantic would be what? $1000.00.

Seems like a steal for a cherry body. Limited Edition. Maybe find a local old friend or mag in the area to do some recon.
    That is a fvckin steal.
    Buses that run with no rust usually go for $10K to $15K.
    The quotes I got from Uship from CO to FL ranged between $900 to $1200, TX might be cheaper.

Bump for a new movie released last week online and dvd. Playing in a few theaters around as well.

http://www.circlethewagen.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigAK View Post
    Bump for a new movie released last week online and dvd. Playing in a few theaters around as well.

http://www.circlethewagen.com/
    Hell yeah! Reminds me of the few on Dead tour making their way by fixing other heads Vdubs. Genius.