Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    I don’t think so. That’s cool though albeit a little off scale. Trani/engine/rear wheels are identical scale on a bus and a beetle. Trani is just flipped one way for the beetle and flipped upside down/right for the bus and the reduction gear spins axles the opposite direction but otherwise the same length

Name:  IMG_1734.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  280.6 KB
    Name:  IMG_1735.JPG
Views: 631
Size:  299.6 KB

Some mag should sweep this up. Was on Jalopnik’s Nice Price or Crack Pipe - yesterday.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto...928826482.html
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Looks super clean

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Never a euro fan

Anyone know the VT'er who built the cabinetry in this one?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2297545

Was looking at Beetles and vans today on a couple of website.

Thinking about doing moar road trips in the future now that I am soon to be retired.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Anyone know the VT'er who built the cabinetry in this one?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2297545
    Having taken one down to bare metal for a complete restoration, I would run away. Who knows what condition of the underside was like before being covered up.

Having taken one down to bare metal for a complete restoration, I would RUN away. Who knows what condition of the underside was like before being covered up.
    x2 Lotsa lipstick on that pig!
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Having taken one down to bare metal for a complete restoration, I would run away. Who knows what condition of the underside was like before being covered up.
    Oh, I'm not looking to buy it, thanks though.

It looks like a pretty cool set up though...except the potential added weight factor.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	68243010_10157305787189590_885167561132474368_o.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	104.3 KB 
ID:	291070

Identical to mine except i had bolt on cookie trays to scoop air into the engine vents
    #sootech

Picture of me ballin’ my buddy’s ‘64 van back in the mid-70s, en route to the Tetons to do a little bc skiing.
    Name:  75B76CA0-B586-4BFF-AFDE-09B3C681DD5F.jpeg
Views: 409
Size:  90.5 KB

Cool man! I like the split front seats. Mine had the bench(drivers 1/3 and 2/3 bench passenger). Bit of a pain with the bench

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Picture of me ballin’ my buddy’s ‘64 van back in the mid-70s, en route to the Tetons to do a little bc skiing.
    Name:  75B76CA0-B586-4BFF-AFDE-09B3C681DD5F.jpeg
Views: 409
Size:  90.5 KB
    That's awesome!

This poor dude buys this bus in Utah and brings it home to CA and they won't pass it on the smog test because they "basically want the same exhaust that came from the donor car". WTF. He mentioned some other stuff that essentially sounds like the mob is running the CA dmv.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2306090

Shitty. That bus looks super clean

Went to play a round of disc (2 over), couple cold ones at the local brewery, ended up closing a handshake deal on an 82 bus. Pick up next weekend when back from work trip. Really for daughter in the end once she pays up to bank of dad

Name:	C0AA2BA7-62BE-49E1-BCB0-55BAB7022BDC.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	293438

Ha! Spontaneous eh?

^^^^ heh, sorta. Got wind of this rig couple summers ago, sitting out in back yard. They are upgrading to synchro so just came up in conversation with buddy. Literally drinking a beer and his friend sends text asking if anyone interested in a bus. Very little rust, the rest will need replacing

I realized I have never shared a pic of my buddy’s Riverbus. He’s taken it down the Mississippi.

Name:	IMG_1949.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	936.6 KB 
ID:	293499

Imported German diesel 1992 “California” model on eBay right now, near syncro pricing though: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Volksw....c100667.m2042

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

I've seen a few clean-ish Syncros and Westfalias while camping around NorCal the past few weekends. It's really stupid what people are willing to pay for a 30 year old VW camper these days. It's even more stupid that even though VW still makes them, they won't bring them to North America because apparently there just isn't much a market for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamburello Rouge View Post
    I've seen a few clean-ish Syncros and Westfalias while camping around NorCal the past few weekends. It's really stupid what people are willing to pay for a 30 year old VW camper these days. It's even more stupid that even though VW still makes them, they won't bring them to North America because apparently there just isn't much a market for them.
    I thought the chicken tax was still in force and that’s why we don’t see full VW campers imported.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I thought the chicken tax was still in force and that’s why we don’t see full VW campers imported.
    https://www.adventure-journal.com/20...-us-heres-why/

So why can’t we get this thing here? Well, it’s hard to say exactly, but seems to be that VW doesn’t think there’s a big enough market in the US and that potential buyers would balk at the cost. The base model starts at nearly $50k, without shipping charges, which, sure that’s a lot of money. But people are climbing over each other to drop twice that on a Sprinter van, buying far, far more van than most actually need, and Mercedes isn’t complaining. If memory serves, the Eurovan has always been a really expensive van too, and VW has sold plenty of them in the US.
    It’s either love ’em or hate ’em. People who nowadays still drive a T2, T3, T4, you name ‘em – those vans that we used to have until the 2000s – most of them are enthusiasts that run these vehicles in perfect weather conditions. Those are people who are hardcore fans for this segment, but they’re just too few to justify making a new version of this only for this market.

The second problem is currently we make those vans in Europe, and even with the rising dollar and weaker Euro share, it is not enough units to make up for a reasonable price. We are selling vans, very well-equipped vans with four-wheel-drive, with kitchenette, with everything that you want for prices of $50,000 and up, which is not where the market here is, or where the camping market is. There is an RV market, true, but those RVs are much larger in size than what we currently offer.

Let’s say you’re taking your average camper van and you’re going to Italy, take a U.S. van, you wouldn’t be able to access all these little alleys, these streets that they have – you would be stuck. So you need something compact in order to get where you want to go. Over here, where everything is accessible, even for large RVs, there is just not this demand. Therefore, people in the majority would rather go for something bigger, if they’re looking for RVs.

Buhlmann went on to explain that VW is aware people love vans in the US, but they’d need to sell 200,000 units to make it worthwhile, economically. Because of their small market share, VW doesn’t think they can do it. Ford can sell boatloads of Transit vans, for example, but they’re one of the Big Three, so they can sell a ton of anything they make. VW has to be more selective.