Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1654.JPG 
Views:	78 
Size:	528.9 KB 
ID:	282004

Name:  IMG_1656.JPG
Views: 445
Size:  55.9 KB

Looks like same model and year as mine. ‘67 , 3 windows per side, deluxe bumper, bigger front signals (non bullet). Prefer my 2 tone red/white

Name:  E1F69F42-6002-4C2B-B3CF-192379F2592A.jpeg
Views: 418
Size:  100.5 KB

Good reading, sound advice. Red light comes on especially sound advice

Name:  E5DA0C24-97CA-4DBF-BDA0-A0E2345B0217.jpeg
Views: 396
Size:  45.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Good reading, sound advice. Red light comes on especially sound advice

Name:  E5DA0C24-97CA-4DBF-BDA0-A0E2345B0217.jpeg
Views: 396
Size:  45.9 KB
    is this really getting posted for the first time in this thread? I only had a bus for less than a year, 72 maybe? That book kept me on the road. Even going over Teton Pass for the first time, had no idea what i was doing.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    is this really getting posted for the first time in this thread? I only had a bus for less than a year, 72 maybe? That book kept me on the road. Even going over Teton Pass for the first time, had no idea what i was doing.
    Ya chances are it's in here already. I could have posted it for all I know. Popped in my head so no harm no foul.
    Same for me, no idea on vehicle mechanics. I put a 1600cc from a 72 in it.Learned on the road, coast to coast a couple times and a bunch o laps on the west coast. Changed/upgraded most everything ,apart from body work and rebuilding the engine , with that book. Some funny stuff in there.
    Wish I still had it. Restored they're going for 6 figures now

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

For sale in town

Name:	IMG_3541.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	284058

Owned and maintained by an Austrian ski instructor that came over in the 60s.

Is it 4wd?

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    For sale in town

Name:	IMG_3541.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	284058

Owned and maintained by an Austrian ski instructor that came over in the 60s.
    Wolfsburg.

I had an 88 in the same color. Loved it. What’s the guy want for it? What’s it need?

Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Wolfsburg.

I had an 88 in the same color. Loved it. What’s the guy want for it? What’s it need?
    The sign in the window says he’s open to offers and to check samba and ebay for values.

My shifter had just a touch more slop, Actually everything had a touch more slop

Romance vs. Reality

Attachment 266025
    Ha! I missed this the first time around.

When I bought my bus I didn't realize it came with a wrench permanently attached to my hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    When I bought my bus I didn't realize it came with a wrench permanently attached to my hand.
    The valve adjustment every 3k miles finally got to me. Also replacing oil cooler gaskets.

Wolfsburg.

Word is he is looking for $15k. He bought a different Vanagon so this one is for sale. I suspect it's in damn fine shape.

There used to be a place out west that always had a handful of restored for sale. Can't seem to find it on a search. May have been Go Westy or West Coast, but they dont have much. I'm considering getting back into the game...less the wrench.

Why is the subi motor not liked?

Don't do it.

They're all about simple. Best to keep it pure. 1600 dual port suits it. You do have to tune them regularly but it's less than an hour to change the oil, distributor cap, points, rotor and set the valves. I always kept a spare distributor cap, rotor and points and just replaced my back up as soon as I tuned it. Bit uncomfortable outside in winter but its quick. For some reason always took 2 try's to set the points so eventually I just set them twice before I tried it. Seemed to work. Everything is ez to work on with the book, even rebuilding the engine although I never tried.

Have an '86 syncro in the garage waiting for someone to do the rejuvenation. Many offers, but it hurts to think about parting with it.

The syncro's had their own issues, but I always wanted one when I was living in the hills.

I don't know. I would like all new wiring and a more reliable motor. I get the keeping it pure, but I can't do that again. I don't want a Transit!..although they are functional. We sold our bus when my wife was pregnant with our first and now they're grown, so we can pull this off again. Dogs and go! I'm also willing to pay for a somewhat reliable ride now.

What year?

I like the '71 I think. Was that the first year with disc brakes? You can probably convert any year these days. I'm so out of touch with it all.

Get a magazine. There is a lot of online aftermarket stores that you can get anything. Drum to disc is good. You can even get aftermarket rocker panels that are shaped perfect for the bottom 3-4 inches. Pop rivet them on and fill the recessed lip with a tiny bit of mud, sand and repaint. Cheap too. 71 was drum. I'm not a fun of the boxy buses. If it's not a split front windshield I guess the next gen is ok. I think they go to late 70's. The 2000cc fuel injected engine has some spunk and doesn't need as much tuning. Still air cooled though. Later years the online diesel was too under powered and blew on the reg. 2000 injected can whip around traffic or do highway speeds pretty well. Low pro tires gives you some pep off the line in the city or good climbing mountains also more stable less body roll. I used to run eagle gt's most of the time for that reason. When I went cross country(prairies) I'd put on bigger wheels for faster cruising on the flatter open road

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The syncro's had their own issues, but I always wanted one when I was living in the hills.

I don't know. I would like all new wiring and a more reliable motor. I get the keeping it pure, but I can't do that again. I don't want a Transit!..although they are functional. We sold our bus when my wife was pregnant with our first and now they're grown, so we can pull this off again. Dogs and go! I'm also willing to pay for a somewhat reliable ride now.

What year?

I like the '71 I think. Was that the first year with disc brakes? You can probably convert any year these days. I'm so out of touch with it all.
    Some light reading...

https://crepeattack.com/

My shifter had just a touch more slop, Actually everything had a touch more slop

Love the suspension chatter in the corners. . I would hAve rolled that by the third sharp corner.

Can’t believe I haven’t posted this. Was the reason for my handle. Long gone but still many memories

Syncro westy w/ a Subaru and full restoration

Name:	IMG_6993.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	437.7 KB 
ID:	286086

That's what I was waiting for him to do, especially after he was passed. He tried to stick with them. I thought " here we go". That roll cage is mint. All the way around the front, top to bottom. You dont want to run into anything front on in those things. Was always on my mind, especially with so so brakes

If you ever drove a split-window that was kind of terrifying.

Lite weight, competition air freshener...... key to high speed german style.