Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 336
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    12,420
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150627_175157939-01.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	168098

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150627_175157939-01.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	168098
    Rad!

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Awesome!

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    1,984

    Westfalia, Type II, Bus, Vanagon, and all air cools!

    Bus in Duck, N.C.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440009688.655541.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	168938
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440009711.729294.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	168939
    Last edited by Labcabin; 08-19-2015 at 01:55 PM.

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    1,984
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1440251601.497185.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	110.8 KB 
ID:	169010

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    5,081

    Westfalia, Type II, Bus, Vanagon, and all air cools!

    I've got a friend selling this; pm me if interested.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442459890.420175.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	169687
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442459904.648265.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	169688

    "bad pics sorry...81 vanagon adventurewagon, manual trans, runs (not great) with spare good running subaru motor/wiring harness etc. with "kennedy" adaptor plate installed,(basically everything for conversion)...all interior pulled but included (sink, tank, fridge, propane heater etc) van needs work but no major dents or rust....basically a killer start on a 15-25k subaru powered vanagon
    clean title, no wrecks"
    Last edited by Flyoverland Captive; 09-16-2015 at 10:50 PM.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    15,998

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,518
    Finally cut my baby out of the berries and gave her a bath for the first time this century. Next month I'll tow her to the vw dude for a general appraisal of the situation. Pretty much everything needs to be replaced and that's without knowing about the frame. Lots of rust in the usual places. We'll see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1453314344024.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	175289   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	love.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	225.5 KB 
ID:	175290  

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,298
    So that's what you'll be driving to alpental?

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,518
    Ihaha no. subaru forester. but i'd wouldn't mind getting this tricked out for snowbumming - bigger engine, 4wd or whatever is available. my 4 year old can have a lot of adventures and then he can drive it in high school. assuming it's doesn't break in half when i tow it. the subaru is infinitely superior for driving, but not so much for hanging out and sleeping in a snowy environment with 3 people.


    I would like to find a way to hang a camping hammock from from to back in the forester. I don't know how one would mount it in the front. Could use the safety hooks for the back
    Last edited by wyeaster; 01-20-2016 at 01:52 PM.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    5,450
    it looks like you should have left Daisy sleeping in her garden in the sun

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,518
    It's at my dad's place. I either have to start trying to fix it or it goes to the junk yard. I'm ok either way. My son will be super bummed because he's heard many stories of adventure.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Land of Subdued Excitement
    Posts
    5,450


    where he laughs instead of singing the lyrics in the beginning, hes suppose to say Monkey. Grease Monkey. Theres that monkey again.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    earth
    Posts
    5,091
    Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post
    Finally cut my baby out of the berries and gave her a bath for the first time this century. Next month I'll tow her to the vw dude for a general appraisal of the situation. Pretty much everything needs to be replaced and that's without knowing about the frame. Lots of rust in the usual places. We'll see.
    '71?

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,518
    Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    '71?
    they sold it to me as a 74 but parts of it are 73 i think. i bought it for $2k from german auto works in eugene in 1990 and the fucker completely hosed my car-ignorant ass. i was stupid enough to think a mechanic would only sell a fully functional machine. but i got it running and got a good 9 years out of it before i got married and it was fading and i didn't have funds to address the problems.

    my hope is that it can be salvagable and it will be my 4 year old's extended experience with tools and mechanical things and doing things step by step with a big end goal in mind.

    on the other hand, if i could get a newer one for the same price that it will take to fix this one, or something that would serve the same function but do it better, i would probably do that. unfortunately, from what little looking i've done, there are no cheap 70s-ish like there were when when i bought mine in eugene. now the ones that were crappy rusted out are dead, the salvagable ones are restored to one degree or another and expensive, the decent condition ones are expensive, the newer (80s, 90s) are off the planet expensive (for me). that's just what it looks like from a cursory glance. i don't make it to eugene much anymore but buses are definitely rare compared to when i lived there.
    Last edited by wyeaster; 01-21-2016 at 11:53 AM.

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    1,984
    Question for you guys. Maybe more a poll.

    I might have the scratch to pick up a new van in the next year. It will not be a primary driver, more of a project fun car/camper. I have owned 70's and 80's Bus and Vanagons.

    Im partial to a late 70's for the nostalgia of the 76 and 77 I had. But really enjoyed my 88 and think a newer Vanagon would be more practical. Which would you consider more pimp? Which would you get if you had the choice?

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    in a van down by the river
    Posts
    2,773
    I have an 86 with a hard top that is going to be looking for a new home, full camper all working.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Posts
    16,518
    i love my bus but i have a feeling it will cost more to fix it than it's worth and unfortunately i'm not in a position to do it out of love. plus, after seeing some of the rigs at alpental, i'm rethinking my plans.

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    a poop plant
    Posts
    2,915
    Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Question for you guys. Maybe more a poll.

    I might have the scratch to pick up a new van in the next year. It will not be a primary driver, more of a project fun car/camper. I have owned 70's and 80's Bus and Vanagons.

    Im partial to a late 70's for the nostalgia of the 76 and 77 I had. But really enjoyed my 88 and think a newer Vanagon would be more practical. Which would you consider more pimp? Which would you get if you had the choice?
    Personally, I don't think there is anything pimp about a Vanagon. So if cool factor is part of the appeal, I'd go older. I'm no VW expert, but I'd do my research before pulling the trigger on a mid/late 70's van. I remember my mechanic talking about a couple of bad years in the 70's. I think the older model's simplicity make them more fun as a project car too.

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    Personally, I don't think there is anything pimp about a Vanagon. So if cool factor is part of the appeal, I'd go older. I'm no VW expert, but I'd do my research before pulling the trigger on a mid/late 70's van. I remember my mechanic talking about a couple of bad years in the 70's. I think the older model's simplicity make them more fun as a project car too.
    Late seventies for me. You would get away from Carbs and have a 2 liter engine.

  21. #121
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Vancouver
    Posts
    6,227
    Take a late 70's Westy with the better camping layout. Drop a 1.8t that is spinning backwards (look for it on the Samba in the Vanagon section) with the 5spd mt.

    Strip the interior and insulate it good, also add in a propex heater. With the LSD available in the newer trans and a full set of studded tires it should actually be good in the winter and you'll shock people passing them uphill form the power of a tuned 1.8t.

  22. #122
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Labcabin View Post
    Question for you guys. Maybe more a poll.

    I might have the scratch to pick up a new van in the next year. It will not be a primary driver, more of a project fun car/camper. I have owned 70's and 80's Bus and Vanagons.

    Im partial to a late 70's for the nostalgia of the 76 and 77 I had. But really enjoyed my 88 and think a newer Vanagon would be more practical. Which would you consider more pimp? Which would you get if you had the choice?
    Avoid wasserboxer engines at all costs! If you get a water cooled vanagon drop the money to put a subie motor in it.

  23. #123
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Central OR
    Posts
    5,081
    BTW, this is still for sale; if I didn't already have my camping rig needs met, I'd be all over this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    I've got a friend selling this; pm me if interested.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442459890.420175.jpg 
Views:	710 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	169687
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1442459904.648265.jpg 
Views:	637 
Size:	278.8 KB 
ID:	169688

    "bad pics sorry...81 vanagon adventurewagon, manual trans, runs (not great) with spare good running subaru motor/wiring harness etc. with "kennedy" adaptor plate installed,(basically everything for conversion)...all interior pulled but included (sink, tank, fridge, propane heater etc) van needs work but no major dents or rust....basically a killer start on a 15-25k subaru powered vanagon
    clean title, no wrecks"

  24. #124
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    1,984
    Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Avoid wasserboxer engines at all costs! If you get a water cooled vanagon drop the money to put a subie motor in it.
    Yeah! I spent a lot of money on my 88 replacing heads and coolant pipes. Strangely went through a few alternators.

  25. #125
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mental Vacation!
    Posts
    1,984

    Westfalia, Type II, Bus, Vanagon, and all air cools!





    I caught up with this guy on Riva rd in Annapolis today! Going slow but in style!

    Not the Fit 2 Win part.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •