Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Found this picture of me back in the day. Yeah, working on it, 'cause that's how we rolled:

spook Guest
    i have a 73 westy thats rusting out on my parents' property. i loved it more than anything else i've ever had. lived in it for quite some time as well. now that i have a 3 year old, my yearning for another one is starting to rise because i know he'd love it as much as i would.

it took seeing a lot of people get shit ripped off of their vws at dead shows to motivate me to finally put an engine compartment lock on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Found this picture of me back in the day. Yeah, working on it, 'cause that's how we rolled:
    Nice, 60's splitty. Miss my 67(last yr split window,1st yr 12volt). Coast to coast twice. Put over 100000k's on it(prob pushed 30 of those). With my skate and a custom length stump I could take the engine out and install in an hr and 1/2. Put a 1600 in it and new trani. First go 4gears reverse one forward. Everything out and flip the trani. Good to go

good friend of mine owns this syncro

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VoJJbybme50

an old friend wrote this song about "Daisy".

good friend of mine owns this syncro
    Sorry, Not a Syncro

This is a Syncro
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

when are the coming back?

Every few yrs we are teased with some awesome prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Miss my 67(last yr split window,1st yr 12volt).
    That's what the one I'm working on in that picture was.

... Put over 100000k's on it(prob pushed 30 of those).
    Good times.

I had a '67 Westy and a '65 13 window deluxe. The '65 was converted to 12 volt and I put a 1776 cc from Pozzi's in Sacto in it. I loved that thing, so easy to work on and fairly reliable with proper maintenance. Sadly I totaled the '67 coming home late and somebody decided they'd park diagonally on a residential street right at a corner and I nailed the passenger front end making a sharp left.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post

Personally I would LOVE a mid-80's Syncro Westie.
    And a complete tool set with extra head gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    And a complete tool set with extra head gaskets.
    Just drop a Subie engine in there.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Just drop a Subie engine in there.
    When my next one comes, that is the plan. I was done working on it...constantly...and I had a vw garage to use. I used to help my mechanic friend out and he let me use his tools and shop. Of course that didn't help when I broke down in Nelson BC for 10 days. Granted, good place to break down.

In 1969, when I was 4 years old, my dad pulled up in a brand spanking new tin top, bay window westy. We went all over the US, many trips to Mexico and camped every summer in it. When I was 17, he gave it to me. I drove it as my DD until I was 33.

It broke down 10 years ago and I took it to the VW mechanic who'd worked on it since 1974. He said he'd get to it a week or two. I told him don't worry about it as I had no where to store it anyway and it wasn't my DD (I had just got divorced and moved to a smaller place). It sat at Jim's shop for 10 years.

Couple of months ago I drove by there with my son and the gate was open so we went in to talk to Jim and look at the bus. I told him it was time to sell it. I had accrued a little debt recently and needed the money- and it was just wasting away. He told me it was worth between 5-10k depending on how much I fixed it up. I paid him $1500 to do some repairs and get it running.

Well, you already know what happened next. Picked it up last Saturday. I got it home and stated cleaning it up. Drove it around some. By the end of the day I knew there was no selling it. The debt will go away someday, but this bus is a part of me.

She's pretty clean. This is the worst of the rust. Looks pretty thin. Going to pop the window out and clean it up this winter. Hopefully get her painted in the spring.

^that's awesome!

I have a story...that doesn't end well. My mother bought a '64 convertible bug. It went thru all my siblings and about a month before my 16th my one sister drove it with the oil light on and ceased it. College bills etc made it sit in the garage for years. I obviously had moved on, but later my mom got it going and drove it in her later yrs which was way cool. When she passed it was left to me, the only one who never drove it as the family's third car. The reality was it was a 'family' car with all my siblings. I had just had a kid an nowhere to keep it as it needed serious floor board/unibody work, so one of my older siblings took it to storage for us. Long story short, she sold it out from the rest of us without telling us. I still have never mentioned it to her. Of course, we really don't speak due to a laundry list...that was just the icing on the cake. /blog

My '89 from several years ago, before I sold her. I think skajah nailed it on pg 1.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1411402864.541038.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	650.6 KB 
ID:	158437

Although there aren't too many vehicles that you can do this with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1411402918.865445.jpg 
Views:	625 
Size:	619.9 KB 
ID:	158438

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    ^that's awesome!

I have a story...that doesn't end well. My mother bought a '64 convertible bug. It went thru all my siblings and about a month before my 16th my one sister drove it with the oil light on and ceased it. College bills etc made it sit in the garage for years. I obviously had moved on, but later my mom got it going and drove it in her later yrs which was way cool. When she passed it was left to me, the only one who never drove it as the family's third car. The reality was it was a 'family' car with all my siblings. I had just had a kid an nowhere to keep it as it needed serious floor board/unibody work, so one of my older siblings took it to storage for us. Long story short, she sold it out from the rest of us without telling us. I still have never mentioned it to her. Of course, we really don't speak due to a laundry list...that was just the icing on the cake. /blog
    That's wrong on many levels!

/end thread!

^^good one . "human qualities, which include failures". there was more on the road and miss the unspoken rule of always wave

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    In 1969, when I was 4 years old, my dad pulled up in a brand spanking new tin top, bay window westy. We went all over the US, many trips to Mexico and camped every summer in it. When I was 17, he gave it to me. I drove it as my DD until I was 33.

It broke down 10 years ago and I took it to the VW mechanic who'd worked on it since 1974. He said he'd get to it a week or two. I told him don't worry about it as I had no where to store it anyway and it wasn't my DD (I had just got divorced and moved to a smaller place). It sat at Jim's shop for 10 years.

Couple of months ago I drove by there with my son and the gate was open so we went in to talk to Jim and look at the bus. I told him it was time to sell it. I had accrued a little debt recently and needed the money- and it was just wasting away. He told me it was worth between 5-10k depending on how much I fixed it up. I paid him $1500 to do some repairs and get it running.

Well, you already know what happened next. Picked it up last Saturday. I got it home and stated cleaning it up. Drove it around some. By the end of the day I knew there was no selling it. The debt will go away someday, but this bus is a part of me.

She's pretty clean. This is the worst of the rust. Looks pretty thin. Going to pop the window out and clean it up this winter. Hopefully get her painted in the spring.
    good decision , that thing is pretty cherry. ROAD TRIP

Westfalia, Type II, Bus, Vanagon, and all air cools!

Dude!!!!!! Check this rig out! Syncro Turbo with TV's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151422507975

That thing is sweet. That motor sounds crazy though….like it would suck to break down in podunk and would be $$$$$$$$$$ to service.

Westfalia, Type II, Bus, Vanagon, and all air cools!

Curious if any of you have ever done the Suby engine conversion on a Vanagon or Type2. How involved was it and how much dough did you have to fork out? Did you have to do any conversion or switch out the trans also?

2.0 or 2.5? 3K to 15K depending on if you're doing it yourself or paying a mechanic. Lotta variables.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Quote Originally Posted by GiBo View Post
    this bus is a part of me.
    Yeah I ended up keeping mine too.
    Hasn't run very well since driving it back to CO from Jackson in '98.

I did go back and clean it out in anticipation of selling it but it was easier just buying an antique plate and letting it sit until I get the chance to fix it up.
    Last edited by mud; 09-30-2014 at 08:05 PM.