Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: VANS for skiing

VANS for skiing

I searched JONG, but failed to find a good thread. Have there been threads on vans good for skiers?

I know Toyota Previas (AWD) and VW Vanagons (esp the Synchro) are good in the snow. A Sportsmobile is a nice dream, but I don't have a trust fund, and can't live full-time in it anyway. What else should I be looking at?

I live in the Bay Area and do the I-80 shimmy/weekend warrior battling. Current car is a Suby Outback. Infant twins want a roomier ride for the trips.

Any good old threads, or recommendations on a van (not a truck) for this?

i got me a '97 Chevy Astro EXT.

the EXT has an extra 10", that's always good.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    i got me a '97 Chevy Astro EXT.

the EXT has an extra 10", that's always good.
    How does the Astro handle the snow? And how is the gas mileage?

Pretty sure it's rear wheel, which would mean getting back into chain monkey mode...

4x4.

However, it's had a bum tranny since I bought it so I have no time on the snow (YET!).
    Van forum talk has mileage at about 17-19ish (more like 17).
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post

Pretty sure it's rear wheel, which would mean getting back into chain monkey mode...
    Chevy produced the Astro with AWD for a time. I don't know which years, nor can I speak to the performance, but they are out there.

I had an E-150 conversion by D'elegant, thing was pimp. There's nothing better for a roadtrip with kids.
    I drove it to my lake house 3 1/2 hours each way every weekend. We'd have dinner at home and wait for the rush hour traffic to subside. Put the wife and kids in jammies, pop in a cd and take off. They were always asleep when we arrived.
    I put Blizzacks on mine and thought it handled pretty well in the snow.

Astro Vans came in AWD trim.

Also, the thread you're looking for is this one: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...n-parking-lots

I know it says RVs, but there's tons of stuff in there on everything from minivans to pickups with platforms.

My advice: keep trolling Craigslist for used 2WD (read: WAAY effing cheaper) camper vans. Good deals abound for the patient. I've only half looked, but that's where I'd be looking.

The other option, although likely not practical for you and the fam at this point, is a pickup with a camper shell. Also discussed in the ski RV thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I searched JONG, but failed to find a good thread. Have there been threads on vans good for skiers?
    Last season, I drove a 9 year old Toyota Sienna AWD, which was a great ski van. Plenty of room to get changed inside and no problems driving. Gas mileage is pretty bad.

In something a bit older and cheaper, there were Mazda MPVs with 4WD (here's one of the first gen ones).

However, I don't think the AWD makes much difference - if I were doing it again, I wouldn't even look for AWD. Snow-and-ice tires make so much more difference than AWD for going uphill/out of snow, and they also help for downhill, corners and braking, which AWD doesn't do anything for you on. So, I'd go for the better fuel economy and the cheaper cost, and buy good winter tires. I went with the Goodyear Ultragrip WRTs and they seem great (noise was less than the previous all-season Pirellis, feel great on dry/wet roads).

If you don't need to seat more than 4, you might look at the Mazda5. They are cheap, reliable, nicely finished inside and have the sliding doors that make getting kids in-and-out easy. They are also way lighter than any other (mini-or-otherwise) van, so you get good gas mileage. The main downside is that third row seats are useless when you've got kids in car seats, as you'd have to remove the bases/seats to get at them.

Not a trustfarian? Don't bother looking at a Syncro. I have a 2wd Vanagon and haven't had issues with snice, (it's a Westy), but these vehicles are 25+ yrs old and can break your bank account if someone else is doing the wrenching. I have friend who picked up an Rasro. He loves it.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

Chevy Express and a good set of snow tires.

I owned an AllTrac (i.e. AWD) Toyota Previa for years, sold it to friends last spring. The thing KICKED ASS. No speed demon but super stable, great AWD (I had good M/S all seasons on it), and did not require any dramatic maintenance.

I'm also curious about the Sienna option. They're all over the place in SF and environs, so it's likely you may find one in good condition used.

Now, when oh when will we get a TDI AWD Minivan here in the States?? Because I will happily pay for that.

We have a sienna awd, best car I've ever owned. Not sure about the prior post and bad gas mileage, we average 24 driving a pass every day. On a long road trip we easily get above 30. Ill but another if this one ever dies.
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Slept in an older (1993) AWD Grand Caravan for large parts of last winter. Excellent ski car. Great traction, mediocre gas mileage, and no maintenance problems if you can find one with a recently replaced transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by HansJob View Post
    Not a trustfarian? Don't bother looking at a Syncro. I have a 2wd Vanagon and haven't had issues with snice, (it's a Westy), but these vehicles are 25+ yrs old and can break your bank account if someone else is doing the wrenching. I have friend who picked up an Rasro. He loves it.
    wurd.

I have an 86 with the high hard top so it holds heat better in the winter. With the engine in the back and a good set of studded winters it will go nearly anywhere.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

I had a friend with a Previa. That thing was amazing. She beat the crap out of it driving all of us around. Then they moved from ON(canada) to CO. They did it with a huge uhaul trailer behind the Previa. Then they came back and towed a big boat to CO. Unreal what those cars can deal with.

I rented a Sienna for work. Best handling van I ever drove. Did not even feel like a van. Gas seemed cheap, but I was driving a supra back then... anything else seemed cheap on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by slobmonster View Post
    I owned an AllTrac (i.e. AWD) Toyota Previa for years, sold it to friends last spring. The thing KICKED ASS. No speed demon but super stable, great AWD (I had good M/S all seasons on it), and did not require any dramatic maintenance.

I'm also curious about the Sienna option. They're all over the place in SF and environs, so it's likely you may find one in good condition used.

Now, when oh when will we get a TDI AWD Minivan here in the States?? Because I will happily pay for that.
    Sienna sounds like a great option. TDI AWD Mini-man-van sounds awesomer!!

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Oh I already have one of those for monster trucking over the shitshow on 80 on Friday nights. Gotta be a warrior if you ski weekends.

These are some great recs. Keep em coming maggots!

If it's green, smoke it...if it's pink, poke it

BUY THESE------> 193 iM 103 - $50 http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=179797

Quote Originally Posted by booner View Post
    Rax-Vans! The next generation in freeride-glacier-rando-tele-walking.

AWD isn't necessary until that ONE time you really wish you had it... friend used to have an awd astro. We beat the shit out of that thing. Was still running like a top at 250k when I left town.

Quote Originally Posted by nobueno View Post
    AWD isn't necessary until that ONE time you really wish you had it... friend used to have an awd astro. We beat the shit out of that thing. Was still running like a top at 250k when I left town.
    Honestly, most of the time I need AWD because I get myself in situations where I need it. But we are not the kind of people that wait for the groomers after a storm...

AWD Sienna and Studded Nokians. I've got the Sienna (non AWD) and studded Nokians, and its plenty living on a dirt road in northern VT. Occasionally if its really greasy I have to back up the driveway, but the van is awesome. Take out the middle row seats and youve got a changing/sleeping area. Bought a rooftop tent for next summer's road trip, too. 130k and only had to replace wear items.

My van takes shits the size of a sienna

Man Up!