Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: VANS for skiing

yea we are looking at the dodge promaster or going pimp for the 4wd sprinter
    I lean towards the promaster, andrew leans towards the sprinter
    it's like those HGTV shows .....where the lady always wins though

front wheel drive has been good for us so my thought process is why not go that route for half the price of the MB 4wd sprinter
    skid luxury

Biggest con IMHO to the promaster is the rear axle design which significantly limits clearance. Not an issue in snow, but if you try to drive it up more rugged trail heads in the summer it'd be an issue. The MB 4wd is better in that regard.

But if you're pimping it out, why not go with the Ford Transit 4x4. The quigley conversion is covered under standard Ford warranty. Way easier to source parts and mechanics for Fords. And the platform -- while new to the US -- has been around and refined in Euro land for a while.

yea that is a good option too- we have them all on our list and are weighing pros and cons so will convey that axe intel to Andrew-
    thanks as we definitely take clearance into mind. the eurovan lacked in that dept and we managed ok but we'd like to go a touch taller if possible
    our goal is to get a new van within the next 3-4 months so holler if you see some good stuff!
    skid luxury

Posting to let others know this isn't about skate shoes.

That said, Mercedes Sprinter van bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Biggest con IMHO to the promaster is the rear axle design which significantly limits clearance. Not an issue in snow, but if you try to drive it up more rugged trail heads in the summer it'd be an issue. The MB 4wd is better in that regard.

But if you're pimping it out, why not go with the Ford Transit 4x4. The quigley conversion is covered under standard Ford warranty. Way easier to source parts and mechanics for Fords. And the platform -- while new to the US -- has been around and refined in Euro land for a while.
    that rear axle is a deal breaker for me on the promaster

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    that rear axle is a deal breaker for me on the promaster
    That said I've seen ProMasters in surprising places. Same too with Transit Connects.

I sort of figure of Alex Honnold can make it work, why can't I.

Highly recommend the 4x4 Sprinter. We've had the short tall Sprinter built out by Sportsmobile for nearly a year now. Took it from our Sierra home to Panorama in the Canadian Rockies last February and it was a joy. Drives beautifully, very comfortable. Clearance is good.

of course we know the 4x4 sprinter is dope. just a weeeee bit spendy

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    skid luxury

Quigley does a Nissan NX conversion too.... Just another option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

the nissan ones are intriguing- and I usually don't care about things like this- but they are ugly AF

I wish the 4x4 sprinters were a few yrs older so there were more price variety in the market but maybe we go big on a wedding gift to ourselves
    skid luxury

FYI Advanced 4x4 in SLC does 4x4 conversions on the Nissans too. http://advanced4x4vans.com/4x4-van/n...an-conversion/

CME runs up and down I70 with all season tires year round in RWD Sprinters. While not ideal, I am guessing a RWD Sprinter with snow tires and some weight in the back should work fine. At least, that is my hope since I just finished building a '11 Sprinter for skiing and hauling my dirt bike around.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    Ford Transit 4x4. The quigley conversion is covered under standard Ford warranty. Way easier to source parts and mechanics for Fords.
    Good to know, I have been thinking about this option. Friend in the Netherlands has had a diesel Transit for many years. The thing is tits. Glad Ford finally brought it over. MB Sprinters have some reliability issues, and parts/labor can really add up.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by bfly View Post
    CME runs up and down I70 with all season tires year round in RWD Sprinters. While not ideal, I am guessing a RWD Sprinter with snow tires and some weight in the back should work fine. At least, that is my hope since I just finished building a '11 Sprinter for skiing and hauling my dirt bike around.
    Last winter we traveled through a snow storm from Panorama in BC through Sand Point and Spokane to points south without ever putting the Sprinter into 4 wheel drive. Roadways were covered with snow the entire time. The freeway through Spokane was shut down shortly after we passed through due to numerous spin-outs and wrecks. The Sprinter was very stable throughout without my ever feeling the need for more traction. Was running standard issue m/s rated all season tires.

Quote Originally Posted by hopelesslyadolescent View Post
    Last winter we traveled through a snow storm from Panorama in BC through Sand Point and Spokane to points south without ever putting the Sprinter into 4 wheel drive. Roadways were covered with snow the entire time. The freeway through Spokane was shut down shortly after we passed through due to numerous spin-outs and wrecks. The Sprinter was very stable throughout without my ever feeling the need for more traction. Was running standard issue m/s rated all season tires.
    That's great to hear. I sure hope it works out. So far the van has been awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Good to know, I have been thinking about this option. Friend in the Netherlands has had a diesel Transit for many years. The thing is tits. Glad Ford finally brought it over. MB Sprinters have some reliability issues, and parts/labor can really add up.
    your current van is so legit though- but maybe next time we cross paths we'll both have new vans.......
    Hope the road trip and climb were great too
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Chevy produced the Astro with AWD for a time. I don't know which years, nor can I speak to the performance, but they are out there.
    We had one at work. It was surprisingly good in the snow. I had thoughts of trying to wrangle it at auction, but I always space it and I'm sure it's already long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    The gas Transit's on my shortlist for the build in 5-6 years. Not sure about the $5k upgrade to diesel but have lots of time to figure it out...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

They did sell the AWD express/savanna's in Canada. I know because we bought na ex canadian rental that was reimported to the us when the Canadian dollar went down.

Ours is pretty much unstoppable in the snow. And we live a mile down a dirt road in Montana and our neighbor's plow truck was broken for the biggest storms last year. The full time awd is also nice for piece of mind at highway speeds vs a part time system.

2014 was the last model year they did the and awd's (or any 1500's). You can have a fiberglass high roof put on one though make sure you get an older or cargo model without the side curtain airbags for that.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    your current van is so legit though- but maybe next time we cross paths we'll both have new vans.......
    Hope the road trip and climb were great too
    It's not bad, just not the lay out I would prefer, that and I want the height of the new vans.

We had a great trip, eclipse on the side of the Grand was awesome, as was the summit (perfect weather on top, shirt sleeve temps, no wind). Of course the best part was hooking up with locals for a beer, always good to see you, and Dave as great and generous with his driveway. Paddled the Snake down to the Elbow take out...super fun in an inflatable kayak.

Hoping to get back this winter.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hoopla View Post
    Last season, I drove a 9 year old Toyota Sienna AWD, which was a great ski van. Plenty of room to get changed inside and no problems driving. Gas mileage is pretty bad.

In something a bit older and cheaper, there were Mazda MPVs with 4WD (here's one of the first gen ones).

However, I don't think the AWD makes much difference - if I were doing it again, I wouldn't even look for AWD. Snow-and-ice tires make so much more difference than AWD for going uphill/out of snow, and they also help for downhill, corners and braking, which AWD doesn't do anything for you on. So, I'd go for the better fuel economy and the cheaper cost, and buy good winter tires. I went with the Goodyear Ultragrip WRTs and they seem great (noise was less than the previous all-season Pirellis, feel great on dry/wet roads).

If you don't need to seat more than 4, you might look at the Mazda5. They are cheap, reliable, nicely finished inside and have the sliding doors that make getting kids in-and-out easy. They are also way lighter than any other (mini-or-otherwise) van, so you get good gas mileage. The main downside is that third row seats are useless when you've got kids in car seats, as you'd have to remove the bases/seats to get at them.
    I disagree. I live in rural Maine and have a 50 minute commute on back roads- in good weather. We have a Vibe/Matrix and an Outback. Both get good tires. I drive the Vibe in all weather- 50 minutes of back roads in good weather. The Outback does better in snow, even when the Vibe has excellent, new tires. We have a steep, snowy driveway. Sometimes the Vibe just doesn't make it. The Subaru always does.

As far as corners- when the AWD does lose traction, it drifts predictably, and is easy to re-direct. when the FWD loses traction, in understeers, and takes a bit more finagling to set straight.

The Vibe is well maintained, excellent tires, ETC. The Outback is, hands down, better in the snow.