Truck cap/topper Brand? Features? Pricing tips?

... Seattle area dealer recommendations... anyone holding a cap for for a long bed Tacoma that they wanna sell?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Get the red one!
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

my ARE canopy experience FWIW

between the dealer (NW Auto Accessories) and the factory (ARE), nobody could get their shit together. the order was re-done twice extending the schedule from 6 wks to almost 12 by the time i drove away with my canopy never to use that dealer again.

ARE made the wrong canopy twice. Maybe the dealer ordered it wrong twice? I dunno. I would have thought after getting yelled at, they'd be a little more focused on the subsequent effort.

despite the awful purchase experience, the product itself has been good

i have side "window vents", which offer the ability to flip up for access up next to the cab in addition to just sliding for air when the dog's in the back. these work great for setting things in the bed from the curb side or reaching things that are against the cab. you can even get a slider facing the cab if you have an operable window there on the truck. otherwise same features as any other canopy

just find a dealer who's got reasonable reviews

Two locks, lined, and a bit of headroom is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    Get the red one!
    Wouldn't one that matches color of truck be better idea? Aesthetically speaking?

When I did my research, the general opinion was that all the major mfrs (ARE, LEER, Snugtop) are fine, it really comes down to price and the features you want (and in some cases, which dealer sells which product, as dealers do vary).

I agree with MTM that lined is nice, though with dogs the carpet lining becomes velcro for dog hair. I do have a high rise, and I like it, but if you plan to put a rack on the topper, you may not want that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Wouldn't one that matches color of truck be better idea? Aesthetically speaking?
    If you are buying used any color is a good color, I picked mine up used off a ski bud for only 200$, the black gel coat had oxidized/ faded to about the same color as my truck
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I have an ARE MX (mid-rise) on my Tundra. Delivery was smooth, no hassles, so I think acinpdx's troubles could be dealer related rather than factory related.

The mid-rise is key for sleeping in if you plan to build a sleeping platform. I run a box on top for even more ski capacity and I think getting in and out of it is fine (I just stand on the tire). Helps to have a second person to hand things to though.

Without a dog, lined is awesome because you can put velcro on small lanterns, speakers, etc. and stick them anywhere you want in the topper.

Only bad thing about the ARE MX is there's a small dummy window on the leading panel, and the glass broke within a month thanks to a rock. It's in a dumb spot. Since it's not a real window, there's no functional problems, but cosmetically it looks bad without the glass there.

I think I have the same topper (mine is a mid-rise ARE, too, with the same stupid front window). While you do mention one issue that isn't a big problem (putting stuff in and out of a box) it is even harder putting bikes on top. But actually, I was thinking of something else: parking garages. Putting a rack on a mid-rise topper (and whatever goes on the rack, like a box) can prevent you from using many parking garages. May not be an issue for many people, but could be an issue for some (and quite honestly, could be an issue even with a cab-height topper).

And delivery/install was smooth for mine, too.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Your primary decisions must be based upon the comfort of us, namely those whom you will be shuttling from the Northway Shuttle Stop after dropping Brand Z in Deep North!
    Side windows that I can hang out of to smoke on the way back to the lodge would be nice.
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman50 View Post
    you will be shuttling from the Northway Shuttle Stop after dropping Brand Z in Deep North!
    Doh!

Pas en face de les enfant!

A removable front window makes cleaning the truck's rear and the topper's front window much easier.

You might looko into a used one, to save some cash.

Quote Originally Posted by This End Up View Post
    You might looko into a used one, to save some cash.
    Good thinking......

The blue one...with side windows for Scotty to stick his head out.

kanopy kingdom on 99
    b

Thanks Bob.

side windows that open upward are a nice feature for getting to gear and letting smoke out.
    b

I have a Raider Nomad. Good shell but side windows don't open. Liner is nice but my dog chewed it up pretty good when she was a puppy. One "feature" that I have seen on Leers that I would avoid is the need to use the key to open the shell. My buddy has to insert his key every time he opens it since there is no handle of any kind. Big PITA IMHO.

Oh, yeah, that would suck. My shell is unlocked 99% of the time.

I have a leer high rise on an 8' bed. I do not have to unlock mine with a key everytime.
    Bought it for camping/road trip and it works great. I have the slide windows which was great for the 2 month road trip i did due to screens and the ease of opening from the inside. Now that I'm not sleeping in at as much the flip ups would be nice to access gear. It is unlined but I fiberglassed a bunch of wood strips to the top so i could screw in little hooks to hang gear, lights, etc and I would highly recommend this if you plan on camping a lot in it.
    My only complaint would be that the little light that was hard wired in only worked when the headlights were on making it useless when camping.