Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WWMD: Carbine 275 vs Mojo HDR 650b

Want to try the tweener size, and want as much travel as possible to differentiate it from my SB95 wagon wheeler. Thoughts on those two?
    I'm so hardcore, I'm gnarcore.

You have owned a Mojo, so you know how it will ride, so I'll focus on the Carbine. I rode the 29'er at dealer camp, so its not exactly the same, but here are a few observations.
    The Carbine climbs well and descends very well, however, its not a DW link, its not even a Santa Cruz VPP, I noticed the rear end hang up on square edged hits at slower/mid range speeds, and when there were square edged hits in corners. Also, I feel the Mojo definitely has more get up and go, faster on the pedals, etc.

For me, its between the SB-75, Bronson, and Niner WFO9 (can't commit to 29 fully yet, so thinking the other two)
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Pivot Mach 6 should be in the running.

some buddies of mine raved about the SB75 (rode it at interbike). They said the HDR 650 rode just the same as the regular HD.
    Not sure what else they rode, but their favorites were the SB75 for longer travel, & Ripley for something more XC-orientated.

The HDR only has 130mm travel in 650b form so that's not going to be a big difference in travel from the sb95.

Altitude needs to be a consideration. It hits all of your criteria, and more.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks P, seems hard to find good reviews of the Carbine 275 although I saw a ton of them on the enduro circuit this year. I'm not stoker on anything that hangs up on small square-edge hits. Love love love the Switch suspension on my Yeti. As far as that goes, I'd say Switch > DW > VPP > FSR, IMO.

Pivot and RM and Norco have been considered but getting a deal on one is another matter.

Leaning toward HDR at the moment because:
    -fast out of the corners/climbing/general shredding
    -my HD in 160 front/140 rear mode was my favorite mode, low BB and just tore it up; HDR with 150f/130r should feel about the same but with bigger wheelz
    -I can also set up the HDR with 180 front/160 rear with 26" wheels, or 170 f/150 r 650b, just so versatile

That said I loved my old Intense Slopestyle so I'm tempted by the Carbine too. I suck at decisions.

Trek Slash 650B? Love my 26 Slash and the ABP is a killer suspension platform IMO. RM altitude is a fun bike but I think you want something suited more towards the descending side of things?

You going to Ho-Down?

Yeah, looking for more descent oriented ridevt. Slash 275 not a bad idea.

I'm in for Ho-Down, you?
    Last edited by Particle; 10-10-2013 at 09:23 PM.

I think I've got very similar tastes as you and these are all the bikes I'm considering for when I upgrade in 2 years.

I haven't been on any of the SB bikes yet, but I've heard they behave very similar to DW link bikes, which are at the top of my list. My go to shop/riding buddy loves the switch platform.

The HD/HDR has been a favorite of mine, every time I ride it I try to scheme about how I could buy the frame and swap components over without losing much money.

Wheel size aside, the Mach 6 is my new lust item.

The RM altitudes lineup also look very good.

If I already had a SB-95, I'd probably go Mach 6 or the Carbine.

:Edit:

If descent is the desire, the Mach 6 looks like the most DH oriented of the tweener bikes worth considering.

Yeah, I've been impatient but might be worth waiting for the Mach 6. Every report I've heard is that it is a game-changer.

There's one at Fitzgerald's in Victor, everything about it just looks/feels dialed. I should have demoed it at Wydaho (as should you have!)
    Impressive execution.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I am in the same market as you but looking between the trance sx, pivot Mach 6, and the Bronson. Trying to throw a leg over each soon.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I'm getting educated as fast as I can coming back into the MTB world. Where does the Tracer 275 fit in this discussion?
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.

if you're interested in a carbine 275 my buddy is still selling his. he's been riding it on-and-off for a few months but it's in great shape and it wouldn't take much arm-twisting to get him to sell it (or offer trade for a more xc bike)

pm me if anyone's interested and i'll put you in touch with him. not a mag but some mags can vouch for him. stand-up guy.

what is the difference between the Carbine 275 & the Tracer 275? They look almost identical, 5.5-6", ~67* HTA, ~71* STA. Seems weird Intense have 2 models so similar (?).

Tech Tonics- pm sent
    Phall- Could you elaborate a little more on the "hangs up on square edge hits"? I am confused as to how the Intense could be that much different than the SC VPP. I rode a Bronson and LOVED it and have been in the thinking that the Carbine 275 is pretty damn similar, cheaper, and more readily available on the used market.

Too many good reports on that Mach 6. I think Lee Lau or skiingnow may be reviewing one, interested to hear what they have to say.

Now on my 4th season on the HD, I'm in the camp that is really disappointed with the HDR offering, I wish they focused on getting something totally new out for Spring 2014, as opposed to probably 2015 now??? Tire clearance for meatier 27 tires sounds like its still an issue???

I was ready for a new bike this last season but too much change in bikes this year. I REALLY want to try a DW-link 140mm travel 29 (I'm 6'2") with sub 17.5 stays, but since that doesn't exist top contenders are:
    Pivot Mach 6
    BMC Trailfox (150mm on 29er just seems like TOO much, oh and its too pricey)
    Bronson (I'm with you that DW>VPP but I'm still willing to try it out, enjoyed riding this bike, fits better)
    Tallboy LT (every time I ride one I really like it, but haven't been able to take one out in tighter and more technical terrain)

Yup, I'll be down there Thursday to Saturday.

That Mach6 is dead sexy for sure. I'd love to rally one at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Particle View Post
    Yeah, looking for more descent oriented ridevt. Slash 275 not a bad idea.

I'm in for Ho-Down, you?

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I REALLY want to try a DW-link 140mm travel 29 (I'm 6'2") with sub 17.5 stays
    Niner WFO isn't too far off of that mark. Their linkage obviously isn't a DW, but it's not entirely dissimilar.

Edit to add: There's quick write ups on a lot of the bikes being discussed in this thread on Blister

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    what is the difference between the Carbine 275 & the Tracer 275? They look almost identical, 5.5-6", ~67* HTA, ~71* STA. Seems weird Intense have 2 models so similar (?).
    Frame material.
    And the Carbine 27.5 is a rear dropout change back to a 26er, or vice versa.

I like my Carbine, but with no ISGS (first years did not have one) I do drop the chain a lot with my old 2 x 9 on it, there are go arounds, but I haven't got there yet.

VPP susp takes a bit of playing to get the rear susp optimized. A shim kit or self do in the shock helps a ton.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

I rode a handful of 27.5 bikes at Interbike last month. I currently ride an Intense 5.5 FRO with a light XC build at 26 lb. Here's my 2 cents:

Intense Carbine Med - Liked it a lot. Good climber, pretty good going down.
    Giant Trance Carb Med - Super light, 24lb with XX1 & a dropper post. A bit less travel so not as plush.
    SC Bronson Carb Med - Loved this bike, maybe a bit stout for climbing but just as good as you'd expect the rest of the time
    SC Solo Carb Med - Rode well but just not sure why anyone would buy this instead of the Bronson
    Pivot Mach 6 Med - Just a bit too sluggish on climbs for me to consider owning
    Breezer Repack Med - I really wanted to like this bike but at 30+ it was a tank and poorly setup with too much pressure, it was not nearly as plush as a bike like this should've been.
    Ellsworth Epiphany Sm - The plushest bike I rode! At 5'8' the small fit me fine and I rode the AL not the Carb. If I could afford it, I'd buy a Carbon.

I'd also consider the Trek Remedy 27.5, I rode the 26 a couple years ago and really liked it.
    I bet whatever Turner is making in a 27.5 these days is worth checking out too.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

I just had a carbine 275 built out and and REALLY LOVING it! Tested the tracer and enjoyed the ride but decided to go carbon due to a great deal on the frame. Great climber (Talus 34 up front) and am liking the 27.5 wheels due to the increased rollover roots and rocks. Primarily ride North Shore and Squamish and this bike kills it on the descent. Spending more time in the air off of bridges vs riding them slowly on my previous ride (trek fuel - I know, totally different ride) as this bike is inspiring some serious confidence. Running a rp23 rear shock vs a 2013CTD and I find it very efficient when pedalling up or across and have the pro-pedal set to"mild".
    XT set up (incl 2x10). Have yet to throw the chain so the shadow plus is doing the job. It's a pretty bike....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1381516712.265048.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	142509

Only spent a couple minutes on a Bronson on Fromme so can't comment too much on its climbing but was fun on the descent. Suspension wasn't properly tuned so I packed it out a couple of times (owner was a much lighter female).

@Hick,
    I was coming down a familiar trail at Deer Valley which I had ridden on my Banshee Spitfire 27.5 probably 2-3 weeks before I rode the carbine down it, (Twist and Shout) and there are some rooty/rocky corners that are not super fast, but you carry momentum through that, if it makes sense. I had a noticeable feeling of the rear end catching on something, and the suspension feeling like it needed to travel up and over the impact more so than rolling over it smoothly. My banshee definitely would have made the same impact feel smoother. I really liked the bike, but the execution of the VPP is definitely different than the SC. I like the newer SC execution. They made some tweaks on the Bronson/Solo/Tallboy 2's and its better than the TRc's etc of the past I have ridden.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    SC Bronson Carb Med - Loved this bike, maybe a bit stout for climbing but just as good as you'd expect the rest of the time
    SC Solo Carb Med - Rode well but just not sure why anyone would buy this instead of the Bronson
    Pivot Mach 6 Med - Just a bit too sluggish on climbs for me to consider owning
    We have a newish local network of trails that is all smooth, fast and flowy, really fun actually with good vert, great for intermediates and I think the Solo would be perfect for those trails. I'm sure 80% of the local bike contingent is sticking to that network, so much so that its become eerily quiet everywhere else on the real trails. And I feel like most centers are spending more effort into developing trails like this. Even in Whistler during Crankworx when the new Konas came out, the riders were raving more about the 134 over the 154.

Really, you found the Bronson to be a quicker climber than the Mach 6? I believe the BlisterGear review also insinuates that.