Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gravity

Gravity

lotta hype about this movie, laughably improbable (impossible) plot and series of events, with a couple super cheesy scenes with overly melodramatic music. movie is pretty dumb.. but cgi is amazing.. and the 3D is the best i've ever seen.. and i loathe 3D movies. if you see it, make sure it's 3D and on the biggest screen you can find.. preferably imax. but set your expectations real low when it comes to the plot.

Saw it 3D and IMAX. It was a perfect movie, and actually about something entirely different than being stranded in space. More of a rebirth story.

The plot was kind of lame, special effects (in 3D) were the best I've ever seen. I thought Rush was much more entertaining.

All I can say is space has never been done like that before....

Yeah, story is not quite up to snuff, and Clooney needs to abandon the Danny Ocean schtick.

Despite this, it's nutty awesome. A true must see in Imax.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

Just suspend your disbelief and you are in for the most immersive film experience ever. I really believe that. The most immersive experience I have ever had watching a film. A must see in theatres and 3D. My mind is blown.

Rush mentioned here as well is a fun watch. Great sports film.

Quote Originally Posted by otto parts View Post
    Yeah, story is not quite up to snuff, and Clooney needs to abandon the Danny Ocean schtick.

Despite this, it's nutty awesome. A true must see in Imax.
    +1 on this. Stunning visually and def see in IMAX if possible
    Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Natures peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn. - John Muir

"How long can it last? For fuck sake this isn't heroin -
    suck it up princess" - XXX on getting off mj

“This is infinity here,” he said. “It could be infinity. We don’t really don’t know. But it could be. It has to be something — but it could be infinity, right?” - Trump, on the vastness of space, man

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Just suspend your disbelief, burn one, and you are in for the most immersive film experience ever.
    Just needed a little fixing.

Clooney character was pretty poor, yep. Not too much to the plot, but...

pretty awesome experience. I almost didn't go, normally hate 3d movies, but this one was killer.

not sure it would be the same in 2d, but I will probably watch it again.

Saw it with my son yesterday. Agree with everyone but 3D was worth the price.

We did 30 minutes of naming things that were just wrong physics wise afterwards.

Note to directors: If you're going to film a movie with a lot of wide angle close-ups find someone with a better nose than SB.

^^
    Seriously on the SB comment. I just don't find her endearing, at all. Movie effects were off the charts good.

Thought it was an amazing film, but im a space geek..didnt notice any major physics blunders, do tell..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mitch_cumstein View Post
    Thought it was an amazing film, but im a space geek..didnt notice any major physics blunders, do tell..

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TGR Forums
    Well, if you're in orbit and you go faster, you go higher. That space junk that kept coming around every 90 minutes couldn't be in the same orbital plane, which was implied.
    Had to laugh at the escape hatches that repeatedly tried to blow you out into space every time you tried to use them, great design.
    What about the scene where he cuts himself loose. What was creating the force pulling him away? They didn't appear to be rotating.
    How about when she first gets sent into space. She's spinning like mad, later not so much. And the force to stop it came from?
    And why was the orbit of the Chinese space station decaying so fast? Had it been hit? Enough to knock it out of orbit?
    Re-entry angle is super critical, you don't just fall back to earth.

Loved the line where he says "we've only got enough for one more thrust" to get to the ISS. Well if you hadn't spent the last hour blasting around like a 16 yr old who just got his license you might have some left.

Download this:
    https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/
    You'll learn more than you can stand about orbital mechanics.
    Last edited by stevesmith7; 10-14-2013 at 06:26 AM.

Ok, but yove gotta admit that for hollywood those are pretty minor 'tweaks' that if nothing else add a little drama.

I thought the cadence of the film had a 2001 feel and there was a lot of great symbolism in the shots--its a story, and requires some imagination after all.

I assumed the chinese station was simply on the brink of re-entry, hatch doors--latent air pressure?? Clooney pulling away--gravity from earth behind him, momentum? Ryans spin was corrected by clooney with the jet pack, pretty obvious to me.

Im sure there were a lot of imperfections in the physics, but come on. I thought it was absolutely beautiful and would rather see ten more likemit than another sports film or even cptn phillips, which was good.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using TGR Forums

Don't let the nerds ruin this one for you.

Screw the critiques on the physics. I saw this in IMAX 3D. Amazing visual and emotional movie. Having seen a number of 3D movies, this is one to go see. I felt like I was there in space with these characters.

I wasn't aware this was supposed to be a documentary on the space program.....bunch of nerds.

Heh, I thought it was beautiful as well. But I was asked so...

Nerd and proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by stevesmith7 View Post
    Heh, I thought it was beautiful as well. But I was asked so...

Nerd and proud of it.
    I blame Neil DeGrasse Tyson - the guy is a brilliant douche.

Still the most intense movie I've seen in the theaters in my memory.

drove 1.5 hrs to the Hooksett NH Imax to see it in 3-D. While I found the whole thing to be far fetched, I still spent the first 45 minutes of the film with my Jaw dropped at both how good the Effects and 3D were and the sheer intensity of it

a couple things about the physics and plot. When SB had to let go of Clooney I was under the impression it would be the force of pulling him back toward her that would loosen the cables around her foot, leaving them both unmoored in space.

about Clooney Jetpack; if you listen at the beginning he was supposed to use and abuse it as a test pilot, perhaps he could have been more judicious with how he used it after the incident and during the retrieval of SB and the dead guy, but he didn't know the shuttle was toast and the ISS was the next stop. which is where I had the most trouble believing-that could just shoot over to the ISS)

anyways fun movie to watch the first time, even if it may not be the kind of movie you watch over and over, just based on the weakness of the plot and storyline.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I blame Neil DeGrasse Tyson - the guy is a brilliant douche.
    I know, right? He was in town last summer and kind of hosted and spoke at a major nerd-fest - a star gazing with 'scopes provided by the local astronomy clubs. Great stuff, but the guy is a total aggro-nerd. He ranted for 15 minutes on why astronomy is greater than geology, and went on from there. Good times. I got invited by some mutual friends.

/namedropping

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Just suspend your disbelief and you are in for the most immersive film experience ever. I really believe that. The most immersive experience I have ever had watching a film. A must see in theatres and 3D. My mind is blown.

Rush mentioned here as well is a fun watch. Great sports film.
    pink floyd the wall should also be mentioned.
    b

And the part where she had the directions to the space station didn't make sense, because they rotate.
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Just saw in IMAX 3D. Wholly -sheet, that was awesome!
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

I think the Special Effects did a great job tightening up SB's ass.

I still wouldnt hit it though.

Good movie though.