Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Thing is they don't own it, we do.
    No they own it
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckerman View Post
    Thing is they don't own it, we do.
    I am really tired of the "it's our land, we own it!" stuff which is being thrown around a lot right now (and is often used when a ski area bans uphill skinning or that kind of thing). You don't own it, "they" actually DO own it. They being the federal government. And ownership by the feds is not and never has been the same thing as ownership by everyone. At one point, the public land laws left the public domain open to settlement, and by taking certain steps you could lay claim to a plot of land. But even then, a) you had to follow those steps to stake your claim, and b) public lands not open to settlement were not yours to do with as you wish. Now, there is no public land open to settlement, and all govt land is dedicated to a particular purpose or purposes. The simple fact that we use the word "public" does not mean you own it, the word is used to distinguish it from land that is in private, ie non-govt, ownership.

Look, there are many good arguments for criticizing the actions the feds have taken, but the "they don't own it, we do" is not one of them.

or, what snoqpass said.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Property is theft, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

If you want to know who owns your house try not paying taxes on it.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I loved hearing Chad Johnson (Ochocinco) tell a judge that he shouldn't have his house and his mothers condo foreclosed upon and sold at auction because he didn't pay his taxes for a few years on either because "I paid cash for those, I don't owe you anything".
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Unless your house is on a old tobacco farm, then the government pays you not to grow tobacco.
    Last edited by skiballs; 10-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    No they own it
    You got me, own is in fact the wrong word. They hold the land that we paid and are paying for in TRUST for us. The World Heritage Treaty may give some control of these lands to the UN, not sure.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com