Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Next time I make it down in the winter I'm looking up one of the crystal peeps to tour with. Then a day at alpy since alpy killed me last time.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    stevens is way better.
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    ^

You can trust Oft on this.

He spends inordinate amounts of time when he goes touring in WA.

Ask nicely and perhaps he'll let you wait for him at the top of a skin track one day.

(love ya Oft)
    Miss you guys!!! Hopefully this season..............
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

Alpental hands down! BC that can be reached from the Pass is incredible. I love Crystal and its my home hill but compared to Alpental it's pretty tame. Alpental is also full of really good guys and the wife swapping parties in Lot 4 are legendary.

Crystal= douchebags and BC wannabees with airbgas and skittle clothing lapping avy controlled pseudo BC and thinking themselves core.
    Alpental= Iconic ski area with the real thing.

Stevens pass= only skied there a few times, lotta touring on the Skyline Ridge area popular with the self righteous and community minded TAY crowd. Z-Bo likes to give them encouragement to put their skin tracks right up the best slopes.

ALPENTAL young man. ALpennnnntaaaaLLLLLL
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Alpental: The only ski area in North America where you can down an entire six pack on the way up to the top of the silliest terrain you can access without hiking a single step only to ride back down to your car on the way back to the chair and do it all again.

well, I have nothing to add here, now that several have chimed in to forget both and get a pass at alpental.

carry on.

Only problem is: your touring set-up will not get used much as you cant really tour out of Alpental. If you have a touring rig and for what you described, Crystal has the best side country available, even when N & S back are not open.

But, IMO White Pass is the hidden gem for the side country crowd if u can deal with the drive.

Hugh Conway Guest
    alpy has plenty of touring in the immediate vicinity.... just not lift-served. perhaps the best of the 3 (certainly more of it than crustal) conditions depending.

Don't go to White Pass. It's flat and never snows ther

Scots, how come you never make it to Alp for a visit?
    The wife swapping goes on in lot 3, not 4 FYI.
    The sad truth is the Alpental valley now gets pounded like the Wasatch.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

C'mon, you know that's a privilege I reserve for only my closest friends! Sheesh.

^

You can trust Oft on this.

He spends inordinate amounts of time when he goes touring in WA.

Ask nicely and perhaps he'll let you wait for him at the top of a skin track one day.

(love ya Oft)

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Scots, how come you never make it to Alp for a visit?
    ME=meadowskipping pussy.
    One has to try hard to find the gnar at Crystal whereas one has to try hard to avoid the gnar at Alpental.

Plus I now live only 20 mins from Crystal
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Quote Originally Posted by garyfromterrace View Post
    Miss you guys!!! Hopefully this season..............
    DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Alpental is okay if you don't mind Hoards of Asian snowshoers everywhere, crowds from Seattle, and tons of dog shit. Alpental, meh, No thanks. It flat too and not challenging, I'd say go to Stevens or Crystal they have longer runs and more acres to get after it. But definitely not Alpental, don't go there.

You forgot to mention drunk Russian sledders
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!

gsa1234
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

don't talk about the GSA. it'll piss off scotty.

Which is less crowded/easier parking these days?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocprg9mkMh8 lol

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    In the umlaut equivariant colimit of PNW ski areas, with proper Corinthian Crenillations, the pan-ecospantastic Zamonian lizard suckers admit a decomposition of the Unitarian Universalist Poincare' Church.

While the Squareheads have their punitive Lutherian lutefisk and despite having lost Ballard to legions of omnisexual social climbers, the Scottish Presbeterians have threatened to move their Scottish Rites from their nests on Capitol Hill down to their Haggis Factory in Burien.

Meanwhile, the Catholics dodging lawsuits from victims of thir preyers have insisted that no Episcopalian excuses for divorce will sumperimpose their rancor for the most devout yet victim free absolutions, independent of tithes.

The resulting conflict regarding which ski area is the best is a m00t issue until these more fundamental orthogonal vectors can resolved into nontrivial inner products.
    thank you lord hymen, I haven't laughed this hard since bob rivers

t
    embrace the gape
    and believe

Quote Originally Posted by skimanguydude View Post
    Which is less crowded/easier parking these days?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocprg9mkMh8 lol
    Stevens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Stevens is better skiing and less crowded. Better parking too.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Easy answer is Baker.
    Word. Unless you live in Tacoma, Olympia, or Aberdeen...

Crystal was not as inspiring. A had a friend who used to work at Crystal (and is on this forum, so I will not name) that honestly loves Stevens more. Crystal is for the fam/kids, Stevens is for those that want the challenge. I have had awesome days at Crystal but it just isn’t my main calling. My parents used to ski out back and down to the road to get picked up by the shuttle and it always felt nostalgic in the way the village is set up.

Honestly, Stevens is better IMO if you don’t live closer to Crystal. The drive had less issues for me over all, the pass is a true gem of value, and the vibe there was better oriented towards a full day of riding. I remember skiing first chair three days a week back in college and sometimes all the way through night skiing without stopping. Also, it is easy to ski back to the car if you get there early.
    What about Mission?

Baker is for the big days and great for BC. The drive is the best but so long. Banked slalom and the old chairs were pretty fun. The awkward run layout was not the best. But heck, you could get to some big snow more often.

Too bad we cannot sleep in the back of our cars at Whistler’s gravel lot anymore. The Olympics ruined Whistler for me.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by alfajores View Post

Crystal was not as inspiring. A had a friend who used to work at Crystal (and is on this forum, so I will not name) that honestly loves Stevens more. Crystal is for the fam/kids, Stevens is for those that want the challenge. I have had awesome days at Crystal but it just isn’t my main calling. My parents used to ski out back and down to the road to get picked up by the shuttle and it always felt nostalgic in the way the village is set up.

Honestly, Stevens is better IMO if you don’t live closer to Crystal. The drive had less issues for me over all, the pass is a true gem of value, and the vibe there was better oriented towards a full day of riding. I remember skiing first chair three days a week back in college and sometimes all the way through night skiing without stopping. Also, it is easy to ski back to the car if you get there early.
    What about Mission?
    Agreed; Stevens is way better than Crustal.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Not sure why folks don’t just ski Baker. The drives back from Crystal and stevens are so fucked it takes about the same time as from the POW at the end of 542.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Easy answer is Baker.
    Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Not sure why folks don’t just ski Baker.
    Negative. It always rains at Baker. A certain local photog with poor spelling faked it with photoshop. Stay away.

As of the last few seasons the gapers from those areas have invaded the flat slopes of White. Last season weekends were unskiable with all of those clowns clogging everything up.