Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    I dunno... had my kid in the clinic for asthma attack and saw some pom chic with a possible broken C7. Was hoping that would do it, but clearly more carnage is needed!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Heading to Vancouver next week for a work trip and will be taking the bus to Whistler on Friday, forecast looks promising the end of next week. If any mags want to meet up to make some turns let me know, haven't been to Whistler in over 10 years.

I'm done. I'm putting skiing on the back burner. Fully refocussing on biking. The riding in van and squish is pretty freakin good. Catch you in sprockets....

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I'm done. I'm putting skiing on the back burner. Fully refocussing on biking. The riding in van and squish is pretty freakin good. Catch you in sprockets....
    Could be a good shout.

Yup, speaking of biking in the winter, we got passed by some guy on a Moonraker (Surly's fat bike) on our way to Paul's ridge. He made it past red heather, possibly all the way to Elfin. Snow is still decent in the north-facing gullies, with a crust in the making. On the plus side, this crisp air provided stellar views.

against Dan's advice, we went to Cayoosh yesterday, mostly for a mellow walk in the mountains, we had low expectations that were exceeded with a nice little bit of north facing pow....no, it wasn't the most radical gnar best skiing ever, but we enjoyed ourselves regardless...nice to run into Shirk and Co too, thanks for having that fire roaring, it was welcome!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1230047_10153591730565188_493484594_n.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	146171  

Whats the hoar like up there?

That looks way nicer than what we got!

Spent Saturday night at Wendy Thompson with Neuro and a big group out celebrating the coming season (hopefully). Splitz and Crazyhorse wandered over the pass Saturday afternoon to ski Million Dollar. Neuro and I followed their skin track Sunday morning and exited via Cayoosh. We booted it from the bottom; snow quality in the couloir was poor but coverage was fine. Outside of the couloir, lower aspects seem to ski ok but higher aspects held a nasty breakable crust. Exiting via cayoosh was almost a bushwack to the logging road.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    against Dan's advice, we went to Cayoosh yesterday, mostly for a mellow walk in the mountains, we had low expectations that were exceeded with a nice little bit of north facing pow....no, it wasn't the most radical gnar best skiing ever, but we enjoyed ourselves regardless...nice to run into Shirk and Co too, thanks for having that fire roaring, it was welcome!
    I must have seen you guys back in Cayoosh, just after the crossing the Ottoman. We were in am AST-2 group looking at all 1.00m of snow at 1700m…we actually found some pretty good snow that day around treeline on an east-facing aspect. Looks like we might have some ugly facets (depth hoar) down at the ground and another near the rain crust at 30cm. Should be interesting to see what happens with more snow.

Spent Sunday-Monday in Marriott basin and the snow there was wind hammered on pretty much everything as Dan mentioned, and stupid thin. The ski-out is pretty much the definition of skier hell, especially after Saturday night’s crew of 45 was done with it. WE NEED MORE SNOW

Fack, outlook for the next week is not looking as good as it was the past few days. Starting to get a bit worried about vacation time around Xmas.

With this bleak start to the season, no snow in the mail and other ski areas getting the snow, WB bookings are probably waaay down. It may be a great time to short the stock.

still payouts a huge yield. Earnings on Dec 11th so if you think the dividend will get cut and u feel lucky go for it!

Yield safe for now. After Q1 2014 earnings though....

That earnings report will be for the last half of what should have been (with all the sun we had) a good summer. Q1 2014 will be early season and Christmas (always pre-booked before snowfall) so probably not much to worry about there either. Q2 is where a shitty season will hit the hardest, with an echo effect on the next season's bookings. Or in short, we need more snow!

In any case, a "bad" season here is still a very good season by the standards of most other places, so I'm not worried. Besides, it's only the 2nd week of December.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Yield safe for now. After Q1 2014 earnings though....
    Do it! Be liable to pay my dividend

They've done a good job of snow making and getting the groomers going. Most vacationers will love the conditions I'm sure. There is enough for most to ski.
    Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Question: Poking around the WB website I noticed that Extremely Canadian now offers 1-day touring clinics. For a east coast gaper like me who has no clue about the backcountry aside from common sense, would this be a good place to start? I've always admired touring, but don't know where to begin.

LeeLau did a write up on it somewhere, do a search you're likely to find it.

Yes it is a good one day intro to see if like it.

Very high quality of instruction. Made very easy for even the most noob gapers to assimilate

Sounds like exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks guys.

Did some skiing at Nak peak today on the Coquihalla. Better coverage than the sea-to-sky. Wind loading happening fast, freezing level stayed close to highway level.

Dug a pit in a sheltered area at around 1400m, S facing, temps hovering around 0, snow depth 59cm. CTE3 on the new 4F snow about 7cm down, as expected after the cold dry spell. The next layer down was also 4F/edging on fist, followed by a bit under 10cms of pencil snow and, then ground.

Nothing special of concern noticed on the way up or down (didn't go above treeline), although the snow feels quite slabby and is very dense.

Did Harmony open? How many bones were broken?

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    coverage on the mountain is slowly improving, but conditions are pretty much still shittyshitshit. duffey is sucking. best coverage is definitely elfin lakes area, but that is a shitty long walk for marginal skiing. Don't lose hope though, I am about to leave the sea-to-sky for a week and a half so major dumpage is imminent.

Harmony stayed closed today.