Page 14 of 34 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Thats a real bummer. RIP. Snow pack is super hollow in the sub alpine. Don't get stuck in the barely covered stubby pines. Watched a sled almost disappear in that shit today. Like quicksand.

And you can suck it the hardest, Jesse! 😜
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Fejau View Post
    Oh don't get your knickers in a twist, obviously some sarcastic narcissism, nothing to take to heart...
    yeah yeah, sometimes T goes overboard with his e-penis I'm awesome mode, someone's gotta keep him in line

Looks like it's snowing just in time for my arrival, so I can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Thats a real bummer. RIP. Snow pack is super hollow in the sub alpine. Don't get stuck in the barely covered stubby pines. Watched a sled almost disappear in that shit today. Like quicksand.

And you can suck it the hardest, Jesse! ��
    The little trees can be fucking terrifying sometimes, just melt away beneath you exactly like you say.

Was thinking today while riding up a lift that the combination of snow depth and general inexperience you could see everywhere were just prime for a tree well incident to happen. This was sparked by the fact that what was just your run of the mill creek hole under Excel had morphed into a fucking death-pit overnight. RIP buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamptonBC View Post
    Gusted to 169.2 km/h at 8:45am.
    Although it was crazy windy yesterday, that's almost certainly a telemetry error. It happens from time to time on the Peak in a big storm.

Well that worked out well.
    Everybody scared away by yesterdays crowds?
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Farcisimus View Post
    Well that worked out well.
    Everybody scared away by yesterdays crowds?
    We cracked the alpine over on Rainbow today. Sofa king deep. Buddy fully engulfed. Throttle pinned all day.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

stoke!!!!!!!!

Blower white room flute laps!

We cracked the alpine over on Rainbow today. Sofa king deep. Buddy fully engulfed. Throttle pinned all day.

Deep would be an understatement... the moment you step off your sled it was pits deep floundering madness.

Today was the day. The cooler temps resulted in lighter snow than yesterday and there was great snow to be had in the alpine. The wind came up around noon, which resulted in some areas becoming wind-hammered. Grey Zone was a bust as a result. Best turns of the day were in sheltered pockets that had been wind-loaded (duh). It was nice not to wait hours in lift lines.

Anyone have details on the in-bounds slide off Pika's? http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2542638
    Last edited by D(C); 01-12-2014 at 09:06 PM.

Yeah. Today didn't suck at all. It was way windier on whistler than at the top of blackcomb though.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Was happy to have done the trip up today vs. yesterday. Had an early hit through Pakalolo which was incredibly deep but the entrance was scraped to shit by the first couple of people inching their way down the chute. Had two Spanky's laps (Ruby and Garnet) and the first was exceptional! The second was fun but but the wind had really done some work on the snow.
    Great to finally have some coverage but this week's forecast looks toasty... :-(

Went up to Lesser Flute via Encore Ridge to poke around. Temps coolish. HS is now 120cms at approx 185cms on the windward controlled side of Lesser Flute.

HST approx 40cms on facets. Going from memory two more distinct facets layers at about 75cms then at about 95cms.

Deep layer presentation from Tremper

Basically a good presentation on terrain being almost always the answer on risk management

Skied off slopes on backside of Flute. Snow quality exceptional

Video - not sure if it will embed so just the link

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...riend_activity

Not a lot of people out there. Treewells are faceted beyond belief.

Heard on radio that Hanging Roll was explosive controlled and went sz 3 taking out the bowl and over-running Highway 86. Spectacular result

Great day on Harmony over and over again...that 6-pack chair certainly eats those line-ups quick and seemed very stable in the high wind at the ridge top.

Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Deep would be an understatement... the moment you step off your sled it was pits deep floundering madness.
    It was even deeper yesterday! Took 1/2 the day just to get up to the lake. You know its ridiculous when everyone goes to help someone stuck and everyone ends up stuck too!

Rad on harmony today. Did the opening wait thing for 5th or 6th chair and were definitely rewarded.
    Yup. 6pack made for a few (relatively) quick laps before the rest of the traffic made it over there.
    Then windy whiteout face shots on saddle on the way home, which was interesting.

Certainly don't have my powder legs yet, but it's a good burn.

I got my first stuck of the season today sledding. Never ever been this happy to be stuck before...

Thanks for that.
    Gave me the opportunity to put the first track down the Sudan (beat the skiers in, weird) and then the first one in to Spankys too.
    Off to see the Whistler shit show tomorrow.
    Last edited by Maximus Farcisimus; 01-13-2014 at 08:12 AM.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Heard Patroller chatter about Prime Rib and size 3's ripping down to summer ice. Also showcase chute ripped big enough to run over the bench into Surf's up. Big result on Ladies First too.

It was sweet that they were able to open Spankys today. Got fresh lines down Pipeline, Diamond, Sapphire. Too bad winter is a fucking cocktease so far, looks like the pineapple is coming. Hopefully it helps the snowpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Two06 View Post
    showcase chute ripped big enough to run over the bench into Surf's up.
    Good. Hopefully now surfs up chute isnt a 100ft cliff anymore!

That was so damn good. On a day like yesterday, I could definitely see the appeal of Spanky's-Fraggle-Spankys-Fraggle-etc laps with the new Crystal chair (and nobody skiing fraggle for some reason). It was all time. Opal bowl and the curl skied super deep too.

Apparently Prime Rib went 2.5 with a storm slab and Ladies stepped down into a size 3.

Also, if you took the right-most bootpack to Spanky's around the rocks it was really spooky to see how sugary the snow was and how shallow those old facets are on some aspects.

Glad to finally be seeing stoke in this thread!

I'm coming up to Whistler for a week at the end of the month (1/26-2/1...first time for me). Former JH bum now desk jockey in Jersey. Anyone willing to allow me to tag along for a day? Got a touring setup, avi 1, and beers for après. If I can't keep up, ditch me--I would!

To all those who fought the crowds good show.
    Hopefully that isn't the only big cycle
    Peak will be great today off the hook

winter haiku
    [B]Safety third.......

Winds fucking howling
    Took the chairs off peak by noon
    Try again Tuesday?