Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast
    Me and a couple buddies are planning to ski atwell sometime this spring, any recommendations on best times to do it, best places to camp closer to the east face than elfin hut etc would be helpful, thanks

Today was super deep up cougar, my friend Vera and I broke trail to the alpine and we were not disappointed!

I dug a pit at 1900m S facing slope @30 degrees, got CTE 8 down 18, CTM down 37 on storm snow, didn't see anything propagating though. We stuck to treeline/trees and didn't poke into anything wind effect.

After 7 days of ridiculous endless blower at a Selkirk hut it was great to reintegrate back into lift riding with a sweet inbounds day. Scored a long fresh line down run down Fraggle and Ruby Bowl. Sudan held some some good recycled pow in the afternoon too.

This week is looking epic; winter is here homies!

Today was solid. That is all.

So debate of the weekend, subject spanky's line:

Is it okay or not okay to ski past the line and start your own bootpack adjacent to the existing one everyone is waiting in line for?

Discuss.

IMO, it is most definitely ok to start ones own bootback.
    There is after all, more than one way up a mountain.

Don't be a sheeple. Think for yourself.

I disagree. Since there is only one gate to go through so you would have to queue. Seems like giving a finger to everyone who has been waiting.

But fuck it id rather ski somewhere else these days if there are that many people. Plenty more lines around

If the queue consists of people who've been waiting for the rope to drop, then yeah it's a dick move. If it's because gapers are choking up the regular bootpack after the initial queue has gone through, then whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    But fuck it id rather ski somewhere else these days if there are that many people. Plenty more lines around
    ^^^ But really, this.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

Quote Originally Posted by curtisbb View Post

Is it okay or not okay to ski past the line and start your own bootpack adjacent to the existing one everyone is waiting in line for?

Discuss.
    Only if you're Ian Morrison.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Discuss.
    I've had a grandmother spit on me in a powder day lifeline in Europe. Suck it up. There are no rules.

Having said that I stood in line and waited my turn today. I can't be bothered to piss people off.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
    If the queue consists of people who've been waiting for the rope to drop, then yeah it's a dick move. If it's because gapers are choking up the regular bootpack after the initial queue has gone through, then whatever.

This

100% okay in my books at anytime IF you set your own bootpack the entire way up and don't cut in to the main line.

I've done it a few select times but I also don't make a habit of it. It is a bit of dick move no matter the circumstances.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1392661049.392753.jpg 
Views:	440 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	150808Problem solved
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    100% okay in my books at anytime IF you set your own bootpack the entire way up and don't cut in to the main line.

I've done it a few select times but I also don't make a habit of it. It is a bit of dick move no matter the circumstances.
    I've done it once or twice on my second or third Spanky's lap of the day and only because gapers were struggling to get up the normal boot pack and holding the line up. Some dick threw a snowball and yelled at me, I yelled back there's a second bootpack and he had no reply? Agree it's kind of a dick move no matter what but that day I was sick of standing there watching goofballs taking 5 minutes to hike up 10m.

Did fresh tracks yesterday and it was worth the wait. There's finally enough coverage in the trees around Ratfink/Chunkys/Harmony lift line. Didn't venture in VD but some of the lower trees on Red still do not have coverage. Oh and at 6:15am there were already ~400 people in line haha. Anyone in Khyber? Singing Pass good to go now?

Quote Originally Posted by JimLad View Post
    Yup, this. A huge Spanky's line usually means you can bang off quick frontside Glacier laps with minimal waiting.

I've got a serious hate on for fresh tracks breakfast the past week...regularly dropping the rope 10-15 minutes before they start uploading from valley...even being in line at 7:45 yesterday morning at creekside, on our first lap up red everything was literally schralped, even garbo lift line was totally done at 9am, really disappointing...that and fucking ski school instructors skiing all over the place before the general public has done a run, this morning a horde of 10+ twinkies dropped into upper insanity before we'd done a run yet too, eff those dicks.

on the plus, thanks patrol for cracking peak so early today, killer mil$ run before work, one of my best in there in a long time, even with a full edge core shot along the way! and also, re. Khyber, hit it yesterday at closing...it needs this next big storm, it's almost there, but lots of barely buried logs and tops of christmas trees towards the bottom...
    Last edited by t.odd; 02-17-2014 at 03:11 PM.

Probably should be in tech talk - but given you're all hear - what to the S2S slednecks recommend as an intro sled - going to take a year learning how, but the goal is definitely sled skiing. I know the basics, long track, 2 inch lugs, something mountain. Anything I should avoid like the plague?

Oh yeah, my gf might be riding one too, she's small and light, if that makes a difference. I know some engine set-ups can mean a heavier machine.....I think....

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    I've got a serious hate on for fresh tracks breakfast the past week...regularly dropping the rope 10-15 minutes before they start uploading from valley...even being in line at 7:45 yesterday morning at creekside, on our first lap up red everything was literally schralped, even garbo lift line was totally done at 9am, really disappointing...that and fucking ski school instructors skiing all over the place before the general public has done a run, this morning a horde of 10+ twinkies dropped into upper insanity before we'd done a run yet too, eff those dicks

Try Blackcomb, ski school goes to the back of the line if 15cms+ on wizard in the morning, don't know the rule for whis

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Didn't venture in VD but some of the lower trees on Red still do not have coverage. Oh and at 6:15am there were already ~400 people in line haha. Anyone in Khyber? Singing Pass good to go now?
    We did upper & lower VD chutes on friday. It was rad. Was on blackcomb sat/sun though so I don't know if it got shralped after that.

Discuss.
    Meh. Its been the same for years. Why get all worked up about something that has been that way for years, and is clearly never going to change.
    In general I don't ski spanky's first lap when it opens or wait. I'd rather ski other stuff on the frontside when by 2nd lap there will still be plenty of freshies in there. 2nd lap you better believe I ski right by the lineup to the 2nd bootpack. And I always get heckled. I always laugh. And I always jump over the rock bridges. And sometimes I get hit with snowballs and I laugh again. The people who waited initially have already filtered through so I'm not being a dick to them and as far as I'm concerned everyone who is waiting in that lineup on 2nd lap are suckers.

Man were these last few days glorious! woooohoooo!

If there is a line waiting for spankys go crack, and you decide to ski up to an 'alternate' boot pack, expect to be pelted with snowballs for the entire time you are waiting. Once saw a dude slice the line to stand with his friends at the front. He was looking pretty snowed in by the time a patroller came along and gave him the boot.

Definitely ok as long as you're not making anyone in the other line wait longer.

Also, whose skis have been on top of Husume for apparently 2+ weeks? I was about to pick them up Saturday on a second lap though but the storm moved in too fast.

Man were these last few days glorious! woooohoooo!
    Holy cow. What an introduction to your fair hill. Had the day off from family skiing today and got to do a little more exploring and use the singles lines. Good times on Glacier x and over at the Peak chair. Rode up with lots of friendly locals who I could see occupying seats on Chair 2 at my home hill. And your sporty entry into Whistler Bowl had me feeling like I was atop le International all over, with a little more facetime.

And your welcome for all the snow we brought.

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    Definitely ok as long as you're not making anyone in the other line wait longer.

Also, whose skis have been on top of Husume for apparently 2+ weeks? I was about to pick them up Saturday on a second lap though but the storm moved in too fast.
    Alls fair on spankies ladder, but be prepared to run up that 2nd boot pack and take the heat with a smile. Make them feel good about it. My pet peeve are the douches who go for it and just flounder up like everyone else.

I saw those Dynastars up on Husume too. We discussed and figured they probably were left as a tribute to someone, so best to leave alone. I cant imagine someone with xxl's walking down husume.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller