Page 1 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2013/2014 Whistler Blackcomb - South Coast - Duffey Lake Thread

G'day mates!!!

Its snowing up high, movie premiers have started, the french kids are stealing my material for there jib rails, fresh sheilas are getting of the Greyhound daily so....just like W/B on a pow day, get it while you can cause it wont last for long.....

......and it means it is time for a new thread.....

2013/2014 Whistler Blackcomb - South Coast - Duffey Lake Thread

Go!

Jafa Joey

Please remove the South Coast - Duffey Lake from this thread title.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    Please remove the South Coast - Duffey Lake from this thread title.
    why you no like my liftie brethren and the mechanical advantage?

EDIT - can't we all just get along?

Quote Originally Posted by Jafa Joey View Post
    why you no like my liftie brethren and the mechanical advantage?
    No, have at it. I just don't want to read about Johnny Douchesbag's epic, all time, 1 millionth run down shale slope.

The Duffey deserves its own thread, or better yet, no thread at all.

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    No, have at it. I just don't want to read about Johnny Douchesbag's epic, all time, 1 millionth run down shale slope.
    Ohhhh mountain man so hardcore. Tell us more about the 25th time you've made 50,000 noodle turns down the Anniversary glacier.

Who really gives a flying fuck if it's all lumped in one thread? It's all the same old bullshit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Ohhhh mountain man so hardcore. Tell us more about the 25th time you've made 50,000 noodle turns down the Anniversary glacier.

Who really gives a flying fuck if it's all lumped in one thread? It's all the same old bullshit anyway.
    I really don't think my meadow skipping on the Duffy is worth spraying about. Anyway, whatever, lifting riding stoke and spray is all good, like I said, have at it.

The Duffy is the backcountry though. And a Duffy specific thread would hopefully include useful observations of conditions etc. I personally don't want to sift through the usual inbounds BS ie 'today was siiick', 'my run was better than yours' etc etc to get to some info that is actually useful.

Meh. I like when I can procrastinate from work super efficiently. One thread achieves that.

I also know of this super duper top secret backcountry area accessed directly from the W/B lifts & tenure. If I told you more I'd have to kill you. I've probably already said too much. But more relevant is that this super secret zone often has avi conditions pretty similar to the Duffey. So I like that too.

back on the coast bitches and ready to rip dual mountain a new one! all your pows are mine, unless the kootenays made me complacent and lazy (unlikely)...and I'm with TeCeBe, much more efficient work hour wasting....and really xyz, you aren't going to be reading this thread anyway? it doesn't take that long to scroll through the BS

how do you get to the top of dual mountain?

Quote Originally Posted by Camsteezin View Post
    take the lift, duh

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

What is this duffy thing anyway? There is only the radgnar of OVERTHEHEADBLOWER AND SMASHING PILLOWS DOWN PEAKSTOCREEK with first tracks on Spankys and boner and blue kazooo

Duffey thread never really got rolling last year so makes no difference lumping it in here... most good bc stuff will/should get its own TR anyways.

I like the offensive start to things this year though.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBeard View Post
    embrace the hate, whistler 2014

I haven't found it yet myself, but based on this picture I found searching the internet it is the opposite way of Whistler Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBeard View Post

I blame enduro.

Hoji style

Took advantage of this day to enjoy our Provincial parks, Blackcomb Glacier & Garibaldi(http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp.../blackcomb_gl/ , http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/exp...pgs/garibaldi/)

Dug a couple pits,
    NE 2240m
    135cm to glacier, 35cm fist, next meter consistant 2 fingers.
    Took 4 hits form the elbow to get the top layer to move

N 2240m
    140cm similar results

Saw a group of 2 who left early, and a solo guy putting the 5th line down Husume at 830 this morning. A little strange to see a skin track 3/4 of the way up it.

Lots of exposed crevasses on Blackcomb Glacier, some on Horstman, Decker looks ugly. Saw another pair of guys on my way out.

3 great pow laps, great start to the season.
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

I find it humorous that xyz would expect to find anything other than a bunch of bullshit douchebaggery in any thread on teh TGR forums! I cant wait for the 1st renegade heli TR dropping in on MEC warrior tourons who slogged all morning only to get snaked by a bunch of fat dudes who have to be at work back at the bar in Whistler by 3pm. Its comical to think the duffy is some sort of backcountry secret oasis when, in reality, its become nothing more than a heli drop/sled resort. Gotta go way farther out these days if you want to fancy yourself the hardcore backcountry enthusiast.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

This is all very exciting. And racy, so far.

On another note, as a guy who hasn't done a whole lot of skinning yet but just invested in his first pair of AT bindings, skins, BC gear- what's a good area to familiarize myself with around Squamish or Whistler?

Quote Originally Posted by huntedyeti View Post

On another note, as a guy who hasn't done a whole lot of skinning yet but just invested in his first pair of AT bindings, skins, BC gear- what's a good area to familiarize myself with around Squamish or Whistler?
    Join the renegade heli club.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by huntedyeti View Post

Skinning up to Red Heather hut from the top carpark on Diamond Head is a good way to get your skin-fitness back. Takes 45min-1hr to the hut, then ski some yoyo laps in the meadows and head back down. Makes for a good little half day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
    Skinning up to Red Heather hut from the top carpark on Diamond Head is a good way to get your skin-fitness back. Takes 45min-1hr to the hut, then ski some yoyo laps in the meadows and head back down. Makes for a good little half day out.
    Lots of cute city girls on snowshoes up there as a bonus.

http://shredstitute.com/camps/rogers-pass-freeski-camp

this is happening, again. rumour has it, it was good last year. i'll be coming from Vancouver Island if anyone needs/wants a lift.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    I find it humorous that xyz would expect to find anything other than a bunch of bullshit douchebaggery in any thread on teh TGR forums! I cant wait for the 1st renegade heli TR dropping in on MEC warrior tourons who slogged all morning only to get snaked by a bunch of fat dudes who have to be at work back at the bar in Whistler by 3pm. Its comical to think the duffy is some sort of backcountry secret oasis when, in reality, its become nothing more than a heli drop/sled resort. Gotta go way farther out these days if you want to fancy yourself the hardcore backcountry enthusiast.
    All I'm saying is that I'd like to keep a Duffy thread separate from the Whistler inbounds thread. I'm just not interested in sifting through about inbound spray to get some potentially useful info on the Duffy.

As for the Duffy being some kind of top secret backcountry oasis, in some ways it kinda is. All the local wannabe bros are sledding off the hurley/bralorne and elsewhere while the duffy is mainly cidiots who tour up to Keith's hut, ski a couple laps off cabin ridge and go home. The renegrade heli droppers are confined to a few select areas with easy ski outs to the road. That leaves the rest of the Duffy to a handful of ski tourers willing to tour one ridge further and knock off some pretty cool lines.

Head of the back of Whistler to Cowboy Ridge. Great spot to get acquainted with touring in the area.