Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    I haven't skied in 529 days and debating whether to break the dry spell this weekend or not, has anybody been on the other side of the valley (Sproatt, brandywine,...) or the duffey in the last few days?
    Went up Brandywine today. We originally planned to go up Tricouni/Chance creek area but the bridge over the Cheakamus is being rebuilt and the dude wouldn't let us cross. He said it should be done by Tuesday.

It was nice to stretch the legs and get some fresh air but the snow is shit for most of the way.
    Was able to drive the ol' Jeep to the cabin el. ~1300m but this was full on grinding 4x4 with v-chains. You aren't getting much beyond the four corners (el. 800m) without a good snow setup. A couple of guys sled from the four corners all the way to the parking area before the meadows and skinned from there. We made it up to 1600m and snow was marginally better but still crusty. Coverage is ok though and the snow on the trees looked promising 1800m and above. We just went for the afternoon so ran out of daylight to make it any higher.

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    I haven't skied in 529 days and debating whether to break the dry spell this weekend or not, has anybody been on the other side of the valley (Sproatt, brandywine,...) or the duffey in the last few days?
    Brandywine was pretty shit last weekend. Poor coverage and even worse snow quality. Elfin lakes was slightly better when we went there yesterday (thursday) but coverage is super thin on the road lower down plus the snow got rained on so it pretty average. Haven't been up the duffy yet but rumour has it coverage is tres poor.

There isn't really any decent snow in the forecast so could be a few more weeks at least until anything starts to shape up.

Skiing below treeline was half ass today. Decent coverage. CTE 30 down at 1800 M. Multiple naturals visible on N aspects above treeline.
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 11-09-2013 at 06:17 AM.

Im going to do a Currie heli drop today just so I can post it here and on facebook before anyone else. The nasty 8 hr down climb after I make 6 turns will be totally worth it.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Yeah I was up at the Roundhouse for work, and I was pretty stoked to ski, until I made a turn... It's definitely still a ways off from good. Above treeline looked a little better, except for the multiple naturals...

Quote Originally Posted by Clownshoe View Post
    Skiing below treeline was half ass today. Decent coverage. CTE 30 down at 1800 M. Multiple naturals visible on N aspects above treeline.
    I'm no expert, but isn't a compression test result of 30 referred to as CTH, not CTE? Or are you saying CTE without a number (which I guess would suggest it fractured while you were cutting it) and the fracture was 30cm down from the surface?

I'm not having a go at you, I'm just trying to clarify.

sorry. compression test easy. 30 cms down from the surface, at 1800 metres
    Last edited by Clownshoe; 11-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.

When is the call made for Nov 16 opening day? Guessing it must be today or tomorrow? Short-term forecast is not looking helpful.

Your early season W/B intuition is strong. Tomorrow is decision day from what I know, which is very little.

Went to Brohm Ridge yesterday for what was mostly skinning/getting in shape/dodging sleds. The snow was quite good (60cm's of it at around 1500m) for the 5 turns we made.

"Get ready...get set...GO! We are opening EARLY!
    This Saturday, November 16, Whistler Mountain will be open with access via the Creekside and Whistler Village Gondolas!
    We'll have the Big Red Express, Emerald Express and Franz Chair operating. Time to get your kit out - it's officially winter in Whistler!"

Guess I got new weekend plans.

Kudos for them opening early! See you when it snows more, well be doing trail work!
    Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    Your early season W/B intuition is strong. Tomorrow is decision day from what I know, which is very little.
    Sweet... VD Trees first run it is

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    Sweet... VD Trees first run it is
    Probably gonna just get in line for first peak chair....

Anyone know the schedule for opening more than just red and emerald on Whistler? Want to get out and start getting my legs in shape, but that gets old pretty early in the day.

I manage opening day expectations by adhering to the following rules:

- have at least 2 large mugs of coffee on the drive up (having a warm stomach helps to tolerate the freeze/thaw cycles on emerald and red during rainy days).
    - Ski 3 runs. No more, no less
    - have a beer at dusty's by no later than 12 (amateur, I know. Bar opens at 11)

For me, first day is more about reconnecting with friends and celebrating the start of another season.

Quote Originally Posted by chadeau View Post

- have at least 2 large mugs of coffee on the drive up (having a warm stomach helps to tolerate the freeze/thaw cycles on emerald and red during rainy days).

For me, first day is more about reconnecting with friends and celebrating the start of another season.
    If I do go up, it will be on Sunday. I'll let you guys pack down the base for me. It's a long season ahead and the mountain biking is still primo. I look forward to some stoke from you guys who are up tomorrow.

Any kids camped out at the gondi yet?

It gonna be a shit show tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by chadeau View Post

Nailed it. Tomorrow is looking mighty average. The only redeeming feature will be the blue skies. I'm saving my bases for another week or so

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    If I do go up, it will be on Sunday. I'll let you guys pack down the base for me. It's a long season ahead and the mountain biking is still primo. I look forward to some stoke from you guys who are up tomorrow.
    yeah, I'm leaning towards another good ride in pemby tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

It gonna be a shit show tomorrow.
    It's Aussie and Quebexican tib=fib day.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    It's Aussie and Quebexican tib=fib day.
    What no love for the Ontario kids that will wreck themselves tomorrow?

What no love for the Ontario kids that will wreck themselves tomorrow?
    Totally goes without saying.

from Seymour today

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Totally goes without saying.

from Seymour today
    Wow! Where's the snow line? CBC done for the year?

I heard the first people were in line for the village gondi about 8am, and there are even some tents pitched down at creekside.
    Do these people not realise that employees have been skiing up there all week?!?!?!