Page 21 of 34 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GoNads View Post
    Isn't amazon opening a giant office in Vancouver?
    Yes, but I'd really like to not be a desk jockey in the city.

In other news, Artic high on the go...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...kcomb/6day/mid

Quote Originally Posted by filthyfrenchbum View Post
    In other news, Artic high on the go...

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts...kcomb/6day/mid
    Oh look! There may not be any accumulating snow in the 6-day forecast, but it does predict "light snow" on the last day! Things are looking up!

2013-2014 weather pattern in a nutshell: Temp inversion-producing offshore ridge --> arctic freeze ---> repeat. C'mon Ullr, where is the in between part where we get metres and metres of Wet Ass Cement???!!!!

Screw this I'm going to Japan!

Whistler's forecast may suck, but it looks like it's about to go off south of the border: http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/dy...w.next3to6days

2014 capital spending plans from the WB quarterly results:

"$5.9 million for several information technology initiatives, including a new enterprise resource planning ("ERP") system and radio-frequency identification ("RFID") system with lift access control gates on most mountain lifts. The ERP system is one of the final steps for the Corporation to bring its IT infrastructure in-house from a third-party service provider. The installation of the RFID gates is expected to reduce lift ticket fraud and will provide the Corporation with the infrastructure required to offer enhanced guest engagement and marketing opportunities."

The days of banging off a few inbound laps on BC ticket's is coming to an end...

is lift ticket fraud really that big a problem? I mean, I know there's always a bit of greasy hike action, but is it really that widespread to put out likely hundred of thousands in new tech to stop it?

also means they don't have to employ ticket scanners, & the lift lines often run faster.

It will be handy for the bike park where you are scanned every lap.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    is lift ticket fraud really that big a problem? I mean, I know there's always a bit of greasy hike action, but is it really that widespread to put out likely hundred of thousands in new tech to stop it?
    WB is a big ugly corporate business with shareholders to report to every quarter. They need to squeeze every last dime out of the place. But yeah, i'm sure the payback period on this investment will be decades.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    also means they don't have to employ ticket scanners, & the lift lines often run faster.
    until gorbs with invalid tickets jam up the entire line....I don't think it will reduce the need for scanners that much or make lift access faster....I dunno, this seems like a huge waste of 6 million bucks....maybe get a decent glading/thinning program going and increase/improve ski-able inbounds terrain....

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    WB is a big ugly corporate business with shareholders to report to every quarter. They need to squeeze every last dime out of the place. But yeah, i'm sure the payback period on this investment will be decades.
    I stand corrected, not 100's of thousands, many millions instead....

The bulk of the $5.9m will the the ERP system, scanning system would be cheap in comparison. Those RFID scanners have been used in Europe for a long time, its not new technology.

edit: they'll use the system a season or so to iron out the bugs then say hello to different pricing tiers. It will allow them to control access to different parts of the mountain. Beginner passes for 'green' terrain etc

Ya pretty much every world class resort (or even mom and pop resort for that matter) in the Alps has had these for years. I'm sure the economics behind it are never simple, but when you think about it, it just makes sense. Pretty hard for them to know much they are losing to dirtbaggers as is, seeing as they are all doubling up on passes or hiking up, so how can you really put a price on it?

The skibum in me is sad to hear it, but I can't argue against it.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    The bulk of the $5.9m will the the ERP system, scanning system would be cheap in comparison. Those RFID scanners have been used in Europe for a long time, its not new technology.

edit: they'll use the system a season or so to iron out the bugs then say hello to different pricing tiers. It will allow them to control access to different parts of the mountain. Beginner passes for 'green' terrain etc
    fair point, still think it's mostly a waste of money!

It's not very warm out

Quote Originally Posted by djbooter View Post
    It's not very warm out
    It is where I am!
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hile-in-Hawaii
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    dude, you're in Hawaii and wasting your time on TGR?!

dude, you're in Hawaii and wasting your time on TGR?!
    It's pouring rain right now. Thought I'd share some photos. As usual... fuck off.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

New gondi cabins for the village folk for 2015 should be good. Draw some tourons out of the Excalibur line I hope.

Now if the Muni could just go back to free parking so that the Blackcomb upper lots would go back to being near empty it would be nice.

A plus to the RFID stuff is it might make it easier for legit BC ticket users to get those tickets. The real payback for WB will be the new alpine zone lift access surcharge.
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I will be mad and then I will pay it.

Looks like winter might come back for a bit? This guy is pretty good with his calls: http://50shadesofvan.com/blog/2014/2...-ever-happened

Anybody have a rule of thumb for what the max temperature in the village can be, and still be decent up the mountain when it's raining in the village? I am guessing 38F\3C is about the max? (Assuming upper alpine is not open...)

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Anybody have a rule of thumb for what the max temperature in the village can be, and still be decent up the mountain when it's raining in the village? I am guessing 38F\3C is about the max? (Assuming upper alpine is not open...)

Just look at the freezing level, if it's like 1000m then that's like top of fitz or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by kevin267 View Post
    Just look at the freezing level, if it's like 1000m then that's like top of fitz or whatever
    Thanks. I was just looking at a long range forecast (voodoo science I know, just excited about my trip next week...) and temps in the Village is all I have that far out.

Thanks. I was just looking at a long range forecast (voodoo science I know, just excited about my trip next week...) and temps in the Village is all I have that far out.
    100% chance of weather and a 98% change that it will be awesome either the day before you arrive or the day after you leave.
    It's the Whistler way.

Yeah the long range means dittly squat out here. I would say precip beyond 3 days and temps beyond a week are more or less a coin flip. That being said, the trend we see of a return to warmer and wet, essentially the Pacific Ocean unloading on the coast range, should come as a very good sign to all of us involved. You may have to contend with a couple days where the valley is wet and your goggles/gloves are rendered useless after 2 runs, but you should be praying for that at this point.