Page 13 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    Just watched an H3 Hummer casually pull over, blocking both the turning lane and half the traffic lane at Creekside lights and wave a bunch of cars through until his buddy in some other, equally shitty SUV pulled up alongside him so they could both hold up the umpteen mile tailback of cars and bray at each other about how much it was snowing. Hummer then fishtailed off from his position while buddy and his friends chortled appreciatively.

Vancouver is definitely in town folks.

WTF!

Good morning everyone. Be safe out there.

It's on bitches!

Let the gongshow begin !

So I work week days, and can't get out mid-week more than once a month or so - if you were getting sick of the lines at W/B, where would you go in the region to still get the steeps and snow but avoid the lines. Baker? Sun Peaks? Revy and KH would be great, but a bit far to be a weekend warrior's weekly trek.

Where do we find stats (ticket scans?) about how many assholes actually decided Whistler was going to be "epic" today?

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    So I work week days, and can't get out mid-week more than once a month or so - if you were getting sick of the lines at W/B, where would you go in the region to still get the steeps and snow but avoid the lines. Baker? Sun Peaks? Revy and KH would be great, but a bit far to be a weekend warrior's weekly trek.
    Baker is definitely the closest and cheapest option as long as you don't mind crossing the border.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    Holy fuck. Full on shit show on crystal and jersey but it is skiing exceptionally well up high.

Got some fun laps before the shit show arrived and a shit show it was.
    Unfortunately the shittiest of all shittiness happened, we encountered a tree well incident.
    Gonna wait for more details.
    Be careful out there everyone.

10/10 shit show today, the weekend warriors were indeed around.

Got first into upper Fraggle Rock so that made the day worth it, but 1hr 30min Crystal lineup was something no one should have to experience in their lives.

Hello Vancouver!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1017336_10202769374136000_999523337_n.jpg 
Views:	407 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	148296

Quote Originally Posted by reidhresko View Post
    wasn'tblowing hard enough up there this morning to suggest that outcome, though I suppose it entirely depends on what happens over the next 36 hours....

decent enough on Blackcomb this morning. nice little refresh but not what we need or what was called for.
    I was told 160km/hr winds up top? I would say that is pretty strong winds?

It doesn't take much to know that a low snow year, coupled with the first major storm of the winter that has been hyped all over the intranetz for a week with the first major dump landing on a saturday, along with high winds, high avy danger in the alpine and tree line would equate to ridiculously long lineups and alpine closures. It's just the nature of the beast.

I'd be interested to see what kind of results they were getting from control work today, and tomorrow morning. If it keeps dumping (which it still is) there is definitely a chance it wont be opening again tomorrow. A lot of the terrain is ski cut, and with low vis/high winds & on going snowfall and high avalanche danger it's not exactly the safest conditions to be ski-cutting in.

Patience, good things come to those who wait.

Gusted to 169.2 km/h at 8:45am.

6 run day. But boy were those runs sweet.

Only 5? I think I cut 7 or 8 and didn't show up until 12:30. Lines eased off as the day went on and the wind kept things fresh. Not a bad day at all. Tomorrow should be good too. My gut tells me the Alpine is going to crack.

^^^
    I re-counted and actually got 6. 3 then a late lunch then 3 in the PM with reasonable lines. But waited for both Solar and Crystal to open in the morning.
    Last edited by D(C); 01-11-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Yeah Im not disappointed at all I missed those line ups this morning.

Standards are at an all time low

Quote Originally Posted by SquamptonBC View Post
    Standards are at an all time low
    That's the best way to avoid disappointment
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Had an amazing day on the sleds up Cougar/Rainbow. Punched trail into subalpine trees and schralped some of the deepest snow I've seen around here! Full on blower white room. Watched buddy completely disappear for a couple turns! Insane!

The best part was that I only saw a handful of people I call friends all day long. Vancouver douches suck it!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Mark-R View Post
    Got some fun laps before the shit show arrived and a shit show it was.
    Unfortunately the shittiest of all shittiness happened, we encountered a tree well incident.
    Gonna wait for more details.
    Be careful out there everyone.
    Sounds like they didn't make it. 63 year old guy.

Very sad, stay safe out there people.

today was a lot of fun, tomorrow will also likely be high on the fun scale.

http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...nt?oid=2542552

January 11, 2014 News » Whistler
    Male dies after tree-well incident on Whistler Mountain
    Whistler Blackcomb reminds people to ski with a partner
    by Pique Staff

A 63-year-old male skier has died after a tree-well incident on Whistler Mountain this morning.

At 11:15am on Saturday, Jan. 11 Whistler Mountain Ski Patrol was notified of the incident near Ratfink run on Whistler Mountain.

Whistler Mountain Ski Patrol, a paramedic and a mountain doctor responded to the scene immediately, while members of the public administered CPR. Resuscitation attempts continued as the male was transported down Whistler Mountain to an ambulance and on to the Whistler Health Care Centre, where he was pronounced dead.

Natural hazards such as tree wells occur within and outside of the ski area boundary. It is always a good idea to ski/ride with a partner or group.

A tree well is a hole or depression that forms around the base of a tree while snow accumulates. A tree well incident occurs when a person falls, head first, into an area of deep snow around the base of a tree and becomes immobilized. The more the person struggles the more entrapped in the snow they become. The risks of a tree well accident or fatality can be reduced by following these basic practices: •Always ski or ride with a partner • Keep your partner in sight and stay in visual contact so they can see you if you fall • Stay close enough to either pull or dig each other out

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Vancouver douches suck it!
    Wow, really?

Quote Originally Posted by kalisto View Post
    Wow, really?
    Oh don't get your knickers in a twist, obviously some sarcastic narcissism, nothing to take to heart...

congrats on the 49! was wowed to see that on your report this morn. unfortunate about the crowds and very sad about the treewell.

Quote Originally Posted by D(C) View Post
    6 run day. But boy were those runs sweet.
    Same, 5 by 1030, then an hr in that Crystal line.
    The bigger the lines, the easier to move through them
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.