Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Let the pukage begin. Hopefully it comes in nice and wet and sticks to all this nasty 2013 garbage!

Puking in Pemberton. Heli bump booked today. I hope he can fly!

Late checkin from a couple of days before New Year. Attempted to get to Mt Joffre but got turned around by a heinous bushwhack. I know you guys have had a bit of snow since I left but I'd think you'll need at least a meter more before the willow scrub that blocked us gets covered fully.

Hurley Rd (think that was the name) N of Pemberton had some good snow if you used sleds. Not super deep but certainly better than Duffey Lake Rd and resort accessed stuff.

Hope things continue to pick up for you guys
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Quote Originally Posted by Arno View Post
    Late checkin from a couple of days before New Year. Attempted to get to Mt Joffre but got turned around by a heinous bushwhack. I know you guys have had a bit of snow since I left but I'd think you'll need at least a meter more before the willow scrub that blocked us gets covered fully.

Hurley Rd (think that was the name) N of Pemberton had some good snow if you used sleds. Not super deep but certainly better than Duffey Lake Rd and resort accessed stuff.

Hope things continue to pick up for you guys
    Any exit by head lamp on this trip? You need to tell the family to move Christmas to March when things really get good.

Not this time, B but I always pack one just in case
    I really need to find a way to spend more time in the PNW period. That's my project for the next couple of years...
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Came over the Duffey the other day returning from up north. About a foot on the ground up at the salt shed. Access off the road looked pretty grim for this time of year. Heli drop wouldnt be bad to quickly access the goods up high as long as you leave enough time at the end of the day to fight down through the willows. Not my cup of tea. Waiting for that Hawaiian punch.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Oh no.. 30cm forecasted for Friday. I smell the hordes in the city gathering for a full on assault!

I'm prepared to fight the war of the weekends. See ya'll on the magic chair, and get some for me tomorrow

I'm a bit worried about the forecasted winds... Up to 95 km/hr
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Why, if it blows hard all weekend, the alpine won't crack until after the herd has gone home.

Because I'm part of the herd
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    Why, if it blows hard all weekend, the alpine won't crack until after the herd has gone home.
    Exactly my thoughts, fingers crossed for a good day on Monday...

in the middle of a Norman Rockwell painting
    wasn'tblowing hard enough up there this morning to suggest that outcome, though I suppose it entirely depends on what happens over the next 36 hours....

decent enough on Blackcomb this morning. nice little refresh but not what we need or what was called for.

Quote Originally Posted by reidhresko View Post
    wasn'tblowing hard enough up there this morning to suggest that outcome, though I suppose it entirely depends on what happens over the next 36 hours....

decent enough on Blackcomb this morning. nice little refresh but not what we need or what was called for.
    Uh didn't it they call zero overnight...so the 6cm was actually bonus?

The actual storm is due to hit tonight.

Crossing my fingers for it to be a raging storm all day tomorrow then lighten up on Sunday. Hopefully most of the herd doesn't come out on Sunday and the alpine opens.

It will be another low angle pow weekend and not even in the trees because 30 cms still ain't enough to fill things in below 1500 meters. When the alpine finally cracks on sunday or monday, it will be wind fucked beyond all hope of face shots and resort patrol will bomb anything else into submission. The only silver lining is that it wont be sucking as bad as it has been.

The good news is that I'm getting my pow fix on my new sled/ski set up in the alpine zones around town and could almost care less what happens at the resort!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by wicked_sick View Post
    Because I'm part of the herd
    Mooooooo

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    It will be another low angle pow weekend and not even in the trees because 30 cms still ain't enough to fill things in below 1500 meters. When the alpine finally cracks on sunday or monday, it will be wind fucked beyond all hope of face shots and resort patrol will bomb anything else into submission. The only silver lining is that it wont be sucking as bad as it has been.

The good news is that I'm getting my pow fix on my new sled/ski set up in the alpine zones around town and could almost care less what happens at the resort!
    aren't you just a little ray of sunshine!

Food for thought from Joe Lammers...

http://blogs.avalanche.ca/attention-...sky-shredders/

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Crossing my fingers for it to be a raging storm all day tomorrow then lighten up on Sunday. Hopefully most of the herd doesn't come out on Sunday and the alpine opens.
    Would be awesome if the wind settled down and they get alpine Sunday but I don't think it will happen. Would be perfect timing for me if it does. Going to be an absolute zoo tomorrow, wondering about Crystal with the high winds since detachable quads have more problems than fixed lifts. Hopefully at least t-bars open on Whistler by Sunday.

Weekend Warrior Citiots... mount up!

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Food for thought from Joe Lammers...

http://blogs.avalanche.ca/attention-...sky-shredders/
    I read this earlier tonight, it's worth a copy paste in here:

Before moving to Revelstoke in 2007 I spent 16 years as an avalanche worker in the Sea to Sky Region. As I write today’s Sea to Sky bulletin, 2 things stand out about the area: The snowpack is generally quite forgiving and steep lines are sometimes good-to-go a day or two after a storm. It’s also home to a deep pool of talented skiers, boarders and sledders who regularly take advantage of the forgiving snowpack, pushing into aggressive terrain within or shortly after that window. One of those things has changed this year and it ain’t the caliber of riders or their desire to get rad. This year’s snowpack has shaped-up in a way that may catch rider by surprise, and with nasty consequences.
    To grasp the situation, it’s important to understand how the snowpack and the weather are directly linked. If we know anything about this year’s snowpack, we know it’s shallow. We also remember December’s cold snap. Well, the combination of a shallow snowpack and prolonged cold temperatures is a perfect recipe for a process called faceting which creates that weak, sugary snow you may have seen lingering around rocks and in shallow areas. In higher elevation terrain where the snow is deeper, this facet layer may co-exist with a hard crust. In lower elevation terrain or in shallow, rocky areas in the alpine the facets are likely to be more widespread and may exist down near the ground.
    Since the formation of these weak crystals, we’ve seen generally light to moderate snowfall and there is now enough of an overlying slab to create an avalanche problem in isolated terrain (in very simple terms, think of a mattress over top of marbles). My concern is the combination of the incoming storm, the subsequent forecast clearing trend, and the fact that there is obviously pent-up demand among riders of all types to get back to the steep terrain we all live for.
    On Friday night and Saturday the Sea to Sky area should see heavy snowfall and extreme southwest winds. This will present its own mix of storm slab instabilities, but it will also load those underlying weak facets. In the days after the storm, the new snow will likely gain some strength and surface avalanches will become less frequent. As well, forecast clearing will lure riders into the backcountry. Many of these riders have been waiting all season for a certain line to fill in. But rest assured, those buried weak facets (marbles) will still be there as weak as ever, and the overlying slab (really fat mattress) will be primed for triggering. My gut is telling me it might not be a completely widespread problem, and that the buried facets will most likely be an issue in portions of terrain. That worries me because the warning signs might not be as obvious. Also, riders might get away with pushing into some steep terrain gaining a false sense of security, while the next slope over may be waiting to kill.
    I’d be quick to avoid terrain with a rocky start zone, slopes with a thin or variable snow cover, and pretty much anything that’s big and unsupported; and I’d maintain that approach for some time to come as this weakness is likely to persist with the potential for large and destructive avalanches. This weekend will be the first big test for the December facet layer, and we’ll learn more about its reactivity in the weeks that follow. In the meantime, the “wait 48 hours and you’re good” Coastal mantra does not apply. Be patient, spread the word and remember it’s just one winter out of a lifetime of shredding.
    Joe Lammers

From the CAC Sea to Sky Bulletin:

-Tomorrow is HIGH/HIGH/MODERATE

Avoid all avalanche terrain during periods of heavy loading from new snow, wind, or rain.
    Avoid areas with overhead hazard.
    It is a good time to stay within the boundaries of a ski resort.
    Saturday's storm loading will be the first big "shock" for weak sugar snow which formed during December's cold snap. Where this weakness exists, there is potential for very large and destructive avalanches.
    Be aware of the potential for full depth avalanches due to deeply buried weak layers.

Avalanche Summary

On Thursday, numerous wind slab avalanches to size 1.5 were observed in alpine terrain. A size 2 deep persistent slab avalanche was reported on Blackcomb on Wednesday. This slide was accidentally triggered by a snow cat and failed on a weak facetted layer near the ground. Check out Waynn Flann's avalanche blog for photos and more information. This avalanche highlights the potential for large and deep avalanches in many areas on the South Coast. Heavy loading Friday night and Saturday will most likely trigger full depth avalanches in some places.
    Snowpack Summary

Around 15-30 cm of new snow has fallen in the last few days and may overlie surface hoar in sheltered terrain. Ongoing moderate to strong southwest winds have formed touchy wind slabs in exposed lee terrain and cross-loaded features.

The cold temperatures from early December have left weak faceted crystals that seem to be variably reactive. In higher elevation terrain where the snowpack was deeper, the facets likely co-exist with a crust in the mid pack. In lower elevation terrain or in shallow, rocky areas of the alpine, the facets are most likely more widespread and may exist down near the ground. Either way, the "wait 48 hours and you're good" Coastal mantra does not apply as these conditions are likely to persist for some time, and will probably become reactive with forecast snowfall.

Early season riding hazards such as rocks, stumps and logs are lurking below the surface in many areas. In glaciated terrain open and poorly bridged crevasses are everywhere.
    Weather Forecast

Overnight and Saturday: Heavy snowfall occurring overnight and throughout Saturday / Moderate southwest wind (with extreme gusts) / Freezing level at 1100m

Sunday: Light snowfall / Moderate to extreme west winds / Freezing level at valley bottom rising to 1300m

Monday: Light snowfall / Moderate to extreme southwest winds / Freezing level at 1300m

- See more at: http://www.avalanche.ca/cac/bulletin....pvubaQSw.dpuf

skied the tbar line today, I wouldn't count on it being opening by sunday, in my non-expert opinion

I wouldn't even bother driving up for wintery mix solar coaster laps.

Quote Originally Posted by roadgap View Post
    aren't you just a little ray of sunshine!
    You must be new here.

Just when I thought I might get out for the first time and Mother Nature screws up that plan.
    At least it is snowing!!!!!!
    Crazy busy at work - No snow before Xmas and then a nasty flu.......Still got lots of time!!!!
    New boots and just want to get out!
    Mountain biking I don't think is an option this weekend either.......
    Last edited by dawgprimo; 01-10-2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: More info

I, and the rest of Vancouver, will see you out there tomorrow.