Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DPS Lotus 120 Pure +/- 10 grams: What does it mean?

So, I just purchased a pair of DPS lotus 120 Pure (190) (non-spoon) skis. One ski weighs in at 1945g, and the other weighs in at 1955g. What, if any, significance do you attach to this? I'm sure that I will ski them just fine, and will not be able to tell the difference. I'm wondering whether this would bother you?

Also, I'm sure if we were talking about a Lhasa, or other PM Gear ski, it would be a non-issue, but rather something to be expected. However, is more expected from DPS? I don't know the answer to that, but would like to hear your thoughts.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Pretty sure it's not just PMGear that has small weight discrepancies.

I would attach no significance to it and it would not bother me. I don't know that a 10g difference is something that we should not expect from DPS, despite how expensive their skis are.

I'm sure some of the many ski manufacturing types here will chime in...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

You're talking about a half a percent difference in weight between the two pairs. Your thought should be "wow, that's impressive" not "how screwed up are my skis?"
    "High risers are for people with fused ankles, jongs and dudes who are too fat to see their dick or touch their toes.
    Prove me wrong."
    -I've seen black diamonds!

throughpolarizedeyes.com

10 grams is a pretty insignificant amount of weight.

~.5%
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Right. It's only 1/3oz. That is my thinking, too.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Pre-chip some of the top sheet off the heavier of the two skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I've never even thought of comparing the weight between two skis... Maybe weigh your boots and always match the heavier boot with the lighter ski?

But, on a serious note, there is no significance. It is an unnoticeable weight (though it should give you ample fodder for excuses if you crash) and, as usual, we are over-analyzing this. I'm sure that is well within any ski manufacturers specifications.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

What this really means is that you should have purchased the Spoons.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

^^^ haha!
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Check out some of the blister gear ski reviews. They usually list the weight of each ski. Most pairs are more off than 10 grams.

Ski manufacturing tolerances + weight measure precision ...

10g are juste NOTHING

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    So, I just purchased a pair of DPS lotus 120 Pure (190) (non-spoon) skis. One ski weighs in at 1945g, and the other weighs in at 1955g. What, if any, significance do you attach to this? I'm sure that I will ski them just fine, and will not be able to tell the difference. I'm wondering whether this would bother you?

Also, I'm sure if we were talking about a Lhasa, or other PM Gear ski, it would be a non-issue, but rather something to be expected. However, is more expected from DPS? I don't know the answer to that, but would like to hear your thoughts.
    Your skis are fucked. I'll take em from you for $200

That ain't an issue... The only thing to watch for is that they have similar / equal flex. I bought a pair of Lotus 120's pure last year that had very different flexes. Returned them for a pair more alike.

Ill second lrn2swim, go look at the blister reviews and see what some of the differences are for other manufacturers skis. For example going down the from page Armada TST are 20g, Moment Exit World 23g, Bibby Pro 67g, Scott Punisher 13g, Nordica Wildfire 39g. Every pair of skis you have are going to be a little different.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

weight variation is attributed to 3 things:

1. core weight variation -- (wood has more variation than foam)
    2. amount of resin absorbed into laminate
    3. amount of resin absorbed into core material
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

weigh your boots and then match the heavier ski to the lighter boot, JONG.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

It means you're anal retentive, Carmen.

Wow, that is the first time that someone has called me anal retentive. Really, I don't give a shit about anything. I just weighed the skis for shits and giggles. There was a discrepancy, so I posted here in hopes of getting responses like these, Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    What this really means is that you should have purchased the Spoons.

+1 to this hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    Check out some of the blister gear ski reviews. They usually list the weight of each ski. Most pairs are more off than 10 grams.
    This.

Also, is this thread for real? I really hope you're just trolling.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I said as much to the guy who posted one of his skis was 3mm longer than the other, Carmen. It was if he thought they were going to implode.

But, shiiiiit, 10 grams????? That's money as a tolerance target to aim for and achieve. I just did a pair of Kusalas and came up 40 grams off on a pair when finished and was kinda baffled after the previous pairs were closely matching. I could tell the difference by lifting it. So 40 grams will, I think, be noticeable lifting them, most likely skiing unnoticeably alike.

I'll bet my right leg weighs 3-5 pounds more than my left. So should I put the ski that weighs 1/45th of a pound more on my right leg, which is stronger, or on my left leg, in order to balance out the mass?

10g is like a heaping table spoon of sugar. There is more than 10g of snow stuck to your skis when you're out there.

Probably the best solution.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	89002971-1h_001.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	142164Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ducttape.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	142165

If those 10Gs are up front your tips will dive like I dive in your mom.