Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

K2 Pinnacle 110 & 130

Apart from the thread:

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...light=pinnacle

...there's nothing anywhere about the Pinnacles.

Apart from GregL did anyone see them? ski them? try them on?

MEC is only allowed two pairs of each size for the whole of Canada and they're 3 weeks over due on shipping, what gives??

I want a new pair of burly AT boots, love the idea of not swapping out the DIN soles.

What have you got TGR???
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

UrbanAlpine in Squamish have themand NorthShoreSki&Board in N.Van in a few sizes.
    Just from feel in the shop... Heavy. Walk/ski mode switch seemed solid. Tech+DIN at same time is awesome. Plastic was softer than I expected. Word from the shop guys is that they are not really 130 flex (softer). Something about them just felt kinda 'cheap'... that's super subjective. I can't really put my finger on it. But they are green, which is important for AT boots.

I didn't buy them, but mostly because I want a 3-piece.

I too looking for some burly AT boots to be used on all in-bound days too. All I know is that no local dealer is carrying K2 and K2 has some stupid no-web policy for sales as far as I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Bird Blaster View Post
    K2 has some stupid no-web policy for sales as far as I have heard.
    Not sure if it's stupid; I have a feeling they simply haven't made that many boots yet and are waiting to see how the line is received. Some K2 dealers in the States have a few pairs of the boots in the most common sizes, but not a full run or large quantities by any means.

My Shop in Reno has a pretty good inventory of them but didn't have the lower volume one in my size 28.5 and I spent a fair amount of time in the larger volume boot as I was in the market for a strong resort boot with a walk mode and grippy soles that fit into Alpine bindings. I also tried the Cochise Pro 130 and the Lange XT. All three were 2014 boots. There was a lot of things that I liked about the K2's, the walk mode was burly, the power strap was clever and the liners were comfortable. Overall, I like the boot but I need the low volume boot and they didn't have one. The flex didn't seem like a 130 boot but plenty of power for a shop test. Anyway, I liked the Cochise better, not so much the parts but the fit, the stiffer plastic and the track record of the boots so I bought those. I think they will sell alot of the K2 boots, with the liners and the tech fittings the boots will have a lot of appeal in comfort and power for someone who is primary resort skier who may do a little sidecountry and BC.

The LV is a true 97mm last. More so than any Tecnica or Lange that I have tried on.

It is also the most true (to alpine) performance boot that I have used.

I am sure it tours like a sack of shit. But that is ok. In my opinion the best alpine boot with a walk mode made to date for downhill performance.

I've tried on the regular pinnacle 110 and spyne 110.

IMO they both flex around 110 compared to other pebax overlap boots in the shop at room temp.

Even though the idea/design of having tech fittings built into a DIN standard sole is better in every way than swappable soles, (I hope other manufacturers follow suit) it doesn't really make sense for the pinnacle because it is so heavy (much heavier than the cochise 120). The range of motion on the pinnacle is very good for an overlap boot, better than the cochise. The walk mode mechanism is very good and appears to be very durable.

The liners are also very high quality. Foam is sourced from Intuition, but the liner is designed by K2 and is much more akin to a nice stock liner in other high end overlap boots than an actual intuition liner (much heavier, but also very durable). The foam can be heat molded up to three times according to K2.

The entire boot can be taken apart, (using normal allen wrenches I think) INCLUDING THE CUFF PIVOT! (can't say rivet here because it isn't a rivet). Honestly, this is a huge improvement to ski boot design and is way overdue.

The build quality is solid and there is obvious attention to detail, for instance they come stock with a subtle navicular punch. They feel durable and it's pretty apparent that K2 took their time on these.

I don't think they make a ton of sense in a tech binding due to their weight, but they are definitely solid overlap boots and are worth trying on.

Does anyone have close-up images from inside the shell of how the walk-mechanism is integrated?

I have played with the boot but have yet to ski to, there were no 25's till this season. it is one of the best fitting boots I have yet to have on for my chicken leg. I will have one on my test fleet for this season and will report back.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by d542east View Post
    The range of motion on the pinnacle is very good for an overlap boot, better than the cochise. The walk mode mechanism is very good and appears to be very durable.
    The entire boot can be taken apart, (using normal allen wrenches I think) INCLUDING THE CUFF PIVOT! (can't say rivet here because it isn't a rivet). Honestly, this is a huge improvement to ski boot design and is way overdue.
    The build quality is solid and there is obvious attention to detail, for instance they come stock with a subtle navicular punch. They feel durable and it's pretty apparent that K2 took their time on these.
    IMO the range of motion is better than the Cochise in the forward direction, but not as good to the rear. Agree the the liner is very nice and should be durable. The relatively thick boot board gives you the option of grinding for tight instep fits - rare these days. Not so sure about the "stock" navicular divots - other people do this too - if it happens to be in the same spot as your navicular it could be nice, it varies a lot . . . they should do the Pinnacle boots in Pebax and drop the weight by 400 grams or so.

Gavin, they're heavy. I've missed y so much and maybe you're now a tempered athlete, but there are lighter optons like the vulcan and the freedom. The fit of the pinnacle, for my foot, is pretty similar to the one of the freedom. Ciao!

i got a pair of pinnacle 110's in March. the last is 100mm.
    anyone else having a wicked hard time getting the liner's back into the shell's?
    personally, i didn't care for the intuition liner that comes stock, not enough heel grab.
    it's not nearly as comfortable as my solly x-max 120's.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Thanks for all the input guys.

Ciao Francesco! Alas, I'm less fit than I used to be. Looking to move to a single boot "does all" for some light touring and lift action.

So I tried on the Pinnacle 130 (LV) and kinda liked it - the 97mm last was nice! flex felt OK for an AT boot. A tiny bit short for my big toe but I'm told this is fixable (?).

I'm hoping to try a Cochise tomorrow.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

I just wanted to bump this, as I have recently had a chance to jam my hoof in a Pinnacle 130 w/ the 100mm last and was pleasantly surprised and actually really impressed. Fit for me at least was pretty spot on. I will need the usual punches on the instep and probably the 6th toe bone but I must say I'm having a hard time finding fault with it considering the line it's walking between on-piste relevancy and ability to go places.

For longer tours I have Sherpa 5/5s and now radicals- I love them but they are really not suitable for everyday skiing. I also jumped on the CAST/Si&I system Kickstarter as well, and I am looking to maximize the versatility of this system which led me to this boot. It should do nicely to cover most of my lift riding and be perfect for shorter days or bigger lines with my Si&I system without changing anything. Yes they are heavy but they are a lift boot that happens to have walk & tech toes, not the other way around. Yes the walk mode is pretty pathetic, but if you're on tech bindings you're still way ahead of the stride game from the frame guys so that's kind of a wash I guess. Time and vert will tell how big of a deal that really is I guess. Buckles are beefy as fuck and they really might have perfected the top strap/buckle thingy by making it removable too. Walk mode lock mechanism I can't even begin to find a fault with. Cuff is high and has a great progressive flex feel, not at all brick wallish and didn't feel like it was bellowing out anywhere either.

I am going back tonight to give them another go round just to be sure, but I will probably end up buying them. They fit the CAST/Si&I bill perfectly- for my foot at least. The cochises I tried on were nice, but they just didn't feel as... Solid?? Maybe a little stiffer but they certainly do deliver the power in a bit different method and the Pinnacle felt more solidly connected with my leg/shin so although they might lack a slight amount of stiffness in comparison they feel more... familiarly smooth and confidence inspiring I guess? Hard to nail down exactly, as it's tough to have something bad to say about the Cochise 130 Pro imo, as it's a great boot. Also having DIN and Tech toe in the same package without swapping anything is fucking KEY and a big advantage if you have the Si&I to consider.

Really looking forward to having intuition lowers in a lift shoe too I must admit. My Langes have been wetting me down and freezing me up for freakin' years and if this boot works out for me I will be stoked even if they're a little softer than my alpine boots (older Lange FR130s).

I'd say all things considered it fills a small niche, but it does it pretty freakin' well IMO. Time will tell how good it really is but I think they're onto something. Now... If they could just put it on a diet and get a little more range out of the walk mode...
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

^^^ Thanks for this follow-up. Sounds like a nice boot. Might have to try one one.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

Aside from the price tag, how do folks think they would compare to the Vulcans? And what about the Salomon Quest boot line, where the tech sole is alpine compatible but also replaceable if need be?

Quote Originally Posted by Roder View Post
    Aside from the price tag, how do folks think they would compare to the Vulcans? And what about the Salomon Quest boot line, where the tech sole is alpine compatible but also replaceable if need be?
    The vulcan is a completely different beast... designed to be lightweight, but still reviews well and people say it's plenty stiff. No DIN sole though. I think what K2 is going for here is the 1-boot quiver idea, which is not what the Vulcan is going for.

Do some research on Quests. A mag from the East coast had a very serious fall in a no-fall zone when the tech-insert in his Quest boots ripped right out of the toe. I personally would not touch Quests for anything but use of the DIN sole.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    The cochises I tried on were nice, but they just didn't feel as... Solid?? Maybe a little stiffer but they certainly do deliver the power in a bit different method and the Pinnacle felt more solidly connected with my leg/shin so although they might lack a slight amount of stiffness in comparison they feel more... familiarly smooth and confidence inspiring I guess? Hard to nail down exactly
    Sounds like its simply just a better leg fit. The Cochise is pretty wide from about the ankle on up.

Also having DIN and Tech toe in the same package without swapping anything is fucking KEY and a big advantage if you have the Si&I to consider.
    Big advantage period. I hate swapping between DIN and Tech. It'd still be nice to have a full tech sole for those few times when when you're on tricky rock, but I hope Technica comes out with a similar dual sole next year to swap in for the majority of the season. I have Salomons on most skis, but its a pain to swap soles when I want to ski the ones with Looks.

Also, whats the weight on the shells alone, without liners (boot size too)?

I have a long term test thread started over on Epic, if you want to catch up.

http://www.epicski.com/t/123352/long...2-pinnacle-130

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Do some research on Quests. A mag from the East coast had a very serious fall in a no-fall zone when the tech-insert in his Quest boots ripped right out of the toe. I personally would not touch Quests for anything but use of the DIN sole.
    That was a shitty deal indeed but the new tech fitting isn't the same as the failed design.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by rludes025 View Post
    That was a shitty deal indeed but the new tech fitting isn't the same as the failed design.
    Good to know... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post
    I have a long term test thread started over on Epic, if you want to catch up.

http://www.epicski.com/t/123352/long...2-pinnacle-130

Let me know if you have any questions.
    Weights?

How does it hike with the lack of rocker?

How does it tour? As well as a Titan? Or a Skookum?

No issues getting into a tech binding?

Get my 130s Thursday.

I will be beating the piss out of them for December.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    The vulcan is a completely different beast... designed to be lightweight, but still reviews well and people say it's plenty stiff. No DIN sole though. I think what K2 is going for here is the 1-boot quiver idea, which is not what the Vulcan is going for.
    I didn't realize the Vulcan sole isn't DIN-compatible. That sucks. I guess I'm wondering why it wouldn't be a perfect one-boot quiver if it had DIN soles, though. Sounds like it's stiffer than most alpine boots.

Is that just one report of gear failure? I have yet to find gear that can't fail, and sometimes it can happen in bad places, but I'd want to hear more than one report like that to conclude it's an issue with the specific boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roder View Post
    I didn't realize the Vulcan sole isn't DIN-compatible. That sucks. I guess I'm wondering why it wouldn't be a perfect one-boot quiver if it had DIN soles, though. Sounds like it's stiffer than most alpine boots.

Is that just one report of gear failure? I have yet to find gear that can't fail, and sometimes it can happen in bad places, but I'd want to hear more than one report like that to conclude it's an issue with the specific boot.
    There are threads to answer these questions. Entire threads that go for pages and pages. The designer even chimes in why they didn't give the Vulcan swappable soles.