Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by skiingnow View Post
    xyz, do you have some actual facts on how much BC Parks land is being impacted by the S2S Gondola or is this just fear mongering uninformed ranting? If so you should go to Clubtread where the other paranoid enviro freaks hang out.

Just wondering.
    I am aware of the actual impact. And while this thing is not exactly going up Black Tusk, it does send a message to private interest groups that 'Hey, BC Parks is open for business'. This is total BS and not consistent with why we have parks in the first place. It may not be a big deal in this particular case but it sets a scary precedent that this can and is happening. I'm sure the next proposed development on park land will use this as leverage as well.

~1000m length and a 20m wide right of way (cleared width less than that), still classified as park. I'm curious as to what you think the "actual impact" is, XYZ?

I'd maintain that the gondola will actually result in a net reduction in the over-use of the trail systems on both shannon falls and the chief, thereby causing a net benefit to the parks by reducing the heavy use, etc.

There are large huts in provincial parks across the province, are you against those too? Do you disagree that we should be encouraging people to use parks, or do you only approve of your type of use? When people recreate more (not necessarily your type of recreation) would you not agree that that in turns helps foster appreciation and 'ownership' of our environment which results in more people caring about things like clearcut logging and mines and tar sands, and other industrial development, etc, destroying it?

I get your side of the argument, I agree that we have to proceed cautiously and make good assessments. The Spearhead proposal isn't being rushed, the gondola went through tons of public consultation and various gov't approvals, and in the grand scheme of things, isn't really causing the grievous harm you're suggesting. No offence, but this seems like a personal grudge against Jayson....I'm not a fan of his positions on everything, believe me, but I think you're also being unfairly harsh toward him in this case.

Bang on Todd.

xyz, if you think this will set a precedent then you've obviously never worked with BC Parks on getting a project done.
    Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    ~1000m length and a 20m wide right of way (cleared width less than that), still classified as park. I'm curious as to what you think the "actual impact" is, XYZ?

I'd maintain that the gondola will actually result in a net reduction in the over-use of the trail systems on both shannon falls and the chief, thereby causing a net benefit to the parks by reducing the heavy use, etc.

There are large huts in provincial parks across the province, are you against those too? Do you disagree that we should be encouraging people to use parks, or do you only approve of your type of use? When people recreate more (not necessarily your type of recreation) would you not agree that that in turns helps foster appreciation and 'ownership' of our environment which results in more people caring about things like clearcut logging and mines and tar sands, and other industrial development, etc, destroying it?

I get your side of the argument, I agree that we have to proceed cautiously and make good assessments. The Spearhead proposal isn't being rushed, the gondola went through tons of public consultation and various gov't approvals, and in the grand scheme of things, isn't really causing the grievous harm you're suggesting. No offence, but this seems like a personal grudge against Jayson....I'm not a fan of his positions on everything, believe me, but I think you're also being unfairly harsh toward him in this case.
    The land for the gondola tower clearcut (2.36 hectares) was downgraded from Class A and reclassified. The bigger impact is the message it sends, as I described above. While this is nothing new, there are many commercial operations existing in Parks, but this is just another point of leverage for future private projects and is no excuse for its continuance. It's easy to shrug our shoulders and say 'whatever' to this and CRA expansions etc as incremental changes are not that noticeable in the short term but when we look back 10, 20 years from now they certainly will be.

Your comment about the gondola having 'net benefit to the parks by reducing heavy use' is highly speculative and reaching.

I'm not against other huts in parks and fully support encouraging people to use our parks to gain greater appreciation etc etc. There is nothing stopping them visiting the Stawamus Chief Provincial Park now to gain that appreciation. We don't need the gondola to facilitate that. Perhaps the Gondola should be reserved for disabled people unable to hike the Cheif?

Admittedly, I've been a little to hard on Jayson Faulkner in this thread - I'll blame the gin. My issue with him is that he personally stands to gain financially from the Spearhead huts and he his the biggest face and mouth behind their promotion. Its a conflict of interest - something that seems to consistently follow him. If the huts did not allow commercial, guided trips I wouldnt give him such a hard time. He intentions are probably good but i think he needs to refocus his efforts away from trying to make a buck off our public parks. Take a guy like Jonny Foon he recently built (with others) the new Mt Currie trail. This creates the same appreciation and access to a spectacular view point without the nasty reclassification of park land for private profit.

Hugh Conway Guest
    All decent mountain huts allow guided trips XYZ; in the alps guides get free lodging and food and most huts. if there's an issue, it's imo how fucking tiny they are.

Anyways, it's still a fucking shame that gondolas and small huts can get done, but nobody can be found to run an awesomely located motel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    All decent mountain huts allow guided trips XYZ; in the alps guides get free lodging and food and most huts. if there's an issue, it's imo how fucking tiny they are.

Anyways, it's still a fucking shame that gondolas and small huts can get done, but nobody can be found to run an awesomely located motel.
    If it really bothers you that much why don't you do something more productive about it instead of beating the dead horse on this thread?

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post

Admittedly, I've been a little to hard on Jayson Faulkner in this thread - I'll blame the gin. My issue with him is that he personally stands to gain financially from the Spearhead huts and he his the biggest face and mouth behind their promotion. Its a conflict of interest -
    How EXACTLY is he or would he make money off the Spearhead huts?
    Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by skiingnow View Post
    How EXACTLY is he or would he make money off the Spearhead huts?
    xyz keeps harping on this. Jayson still owns a very minor share in Whistler Guides Bureau. Somehow xyz thinks he'll rake in millions via his 12.5% share of the profit on guided trips using the Spearhead huts and this is his evil plot behind the huts.

guides aren't exactly raking in the cash. Every guide I've met loves what they do, has a cool mountain lifestyle & all. Anyone met a guide that is wealthy?

I met a German guide skiing in Chile some years back. Not sure how much he was making but he was sure as shit killing it. He had an entourage of uber rich repeat clients that paid him to heli guide all over the world. Greenland, Kamchatka...etc. he was on the north face team too.

There are some guides that aren't struggling in life, but none of them charter helicopters and jet set the world either.

Don't underestimate the number of people who will use this, enjoy it, and proceed to tell there friends & family how amazing it is. That is good for everyone who lives here. Another ride at the carnival. Enjoy the ride.

Limited number of annual passes just went on sale for $99 if anyone's interested: http://www.seatoskygondola.com/pass

Quote Originally Posted by Jacolac View Post
    Limited number of annual passes just went on sale for $99 if anyone's interested: http://www.seatoskygondola.com/pass
    Just picked one up! Can't wait to go up there in the perpetual whiteout all winter. When it finally clears there should be a great view of the new LNG plant.

Now that the gondola has been open for a while and we're getting close to winter, does anyone have any idea what the touring options up there will look like? Worth getting a winter pass for?

Now that the gondola has been open for a while and we're getting close to winter, does anyone have any idea what the touring options up there will look like? Worth getting a winter pass for?
    The S2S gondy is total game changer for the south coast touring scene. Forget the Spearhead, the Duffey and everything in between - I'm lapping Sky Pilot blower all season long!

The S2S gondy is total game changer for the south coast touring scene. Forget the Spearhead, the Duffey and everything in between - I'm lapping Sky Pilot blower all season long!
    I realize this can't compete with the areas you mentioned but I can't ignore the fact that it's a 5 min drive and 15 min gondola ride to the point where I can start skinning. I don't always have a full day to head up to the duffey so I'm thinking this could be a good option to get a couple laps in and still have time to do something else that same day. I just have no idea about the immediate terrain since I haven't really spent any time up there yet. Was hoping someone else would be able say whether it's just going to be meadow skipping or if there is some fun terrain close by.

I hiked to the top of the S2S Gondola and paid $10 to download a few weeks back and the terrain at the top doesn't look too appealing. Making it from the Gondola to anything worthwhile and back in time to download might be stretching it..

I would disagree haymarket cuz back in the day i joined the xxx meter club (however high it is?) at the top of the chief ... seemed pretty worth while
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I would disagree haymarket cuz back in the day i joined the xxx meter club (however high it is?) at the top of the chief ... seemed pretty worth while
    bad mental picture.......must bleach brain.

So I know it's an old post, but I thought a few years in I'd follow-up and see how the skiing from the Gondola had developed. Are people finding/developing some good skiing accessed via the gondola or are the objective hazards making it not feasible? Most of what I see about skiing from the Gondola is either marketing material or seriously steep - committing lines. Is it the case that if you want quick tours from Squamish, the best bet is still Red Heather etc?

Quote Originally Posted by knowsam View Post
    So I know it's an old post, but I thought a few years in I'd follow-up and see how the skiing from the Gondola had developed. Are people finding/developing some good skiing accessed via the gondola or are the objective hazards making it not feasible? Most of what I see about skiing from the Gondola is either marketing material or seriously steep - committing lines. Is it the case that if you want quick tours from Squamish, the best bet is still Red Heather etc?
    Gondi reopens feb 14. I’ve never ski toured up there but lots have. Looks like there are some good but limited options. Couliors etc. You’d need some very low freezing levels for decent snow quality tho. I live in pemberton so it makes little sense for me; If it’s good there it’ll be much better on the spearhead. If I lived in Squamish or Vancouver and tired of the traffic to whistler I’d convince myself It’s a good place to tour.

Gondi reopens feb 14. I’ve never ski toured up there but lots have. Looks like there are some good but limited options. Couliors etc. You’d need some very low freezing levels for decent snow quality tho. I live in pemberton so it makes little sense for me; If it’s good there it’ll be much better on the spearhead. If I lived in Squamish or Vancouver and tired of the traffic to whistler I’d convince myself It’s a good place to tour.
    I live in Squamish and have toured up there several times. Have had some really good turns up there and the terrain is better than I expected it would be before the gondola opened. Good views up there too. Keep an eye on those freezing levels though...

Interesting to see how this aged ...