Franken-XTR: XTR rear mech with XT cage

About 2 weeks ago, I bent the upper part of my XT M786 Shadow+ rear derailleur. I replaced it with an XTR M986 Shadow+ (that's all the shop had so they gave me a deal) which lasted exactly 4 rides before I managed to snap the carbon cage.

Since the cage on the old XT derailleur was fine, I installed it on the XTR derailleur and it seems to be working on the bike stand.

Is there any reason the XTR derailleur won't work with the XT cage installed?

This could end up being a good mod since the carbon on the XTR seemed far too fragile given how easily it broke.

It'll be way too heavy, and your bike will be too unbalanced to ride.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It'll be way too heavy, and your bike will be too unbalanced to ride.
    Other than that... any issues? It seems fine, but an old post on mtbr suggested incompatibility. I'm calling BS.

it's a pretty simple interface. Use loctite blue, and spacers if you need them.

If it works, it works, IMO.
    Take it for a ride!

There are a lot of bike modifications that work that are not manufacturer recommended. do it and see if it works. report back

I have to ask, though, why the consistent rear derailleur breakages? Those are usually fairly rare, all things considered. Crashes or transportation mishaps?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I have to ask, though, why the consistent rear derailleur breakages? Those are usually fairly rare, all things considered. Crashes or transportation mishaps?
    Both were bonks on big rocks just off the side of the trail to the inside of sharp corners at high speed. I guess I need to give corners a wider berth.

Extension of this question.... Anybody know if the XT/SLX/Deore/Zee/Saint cage assemblies are the same? My LBS say Shimano is backordered on the cage assemblies, and am considering just buying a cheaper Rear mech for the Medium cage(s) I need vs just buying a cheaper cage. I know XTR is different as mentioned above.

I've had 2 cages bent/mangled in 2 months, both of which were very new. One was sucking a huge stick up during a race, the other was banging it off some rocks on a poor line choice. Normally get years out of rear d's, but bad luck recently. Don't really want to buy brand new derailleurs when only the cages are bent (one much more-so than the other)