Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Blikkem View Post
    How about this, what do you pack for a day in the BC and how much does weight play a role in what you take?
    There's about ten threads on this in TECH TALK JONG.
    FKNA = Find Knowledge, Not Answers

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    OK you are holding your own young jedi. So explain to me again the nature of this class and the assignment? I want to be able to give you some serious answers.

I don't need a 27 DIN, but the really gnarcore guys do. And if you want to design a binder, you would do what Cody Townsend did with the Guardian - he rode it and broke it and redesigned it and rode/broke/redesigned it - for years - until it worked. You gotta live the problem first hand, not ask people.

But back to your assignment. To me, the biggest joy of the bc is being out with friends doing what nobody else is. Nobody poaches your line unless you let them. All fucking day long.

The hard part is the consequences when shit happens. Simple things like a broken binding can turn into a major sufferfest - you haven't really had fun until your three hour tour becomes a forced overnight bivouac above the treeline. Injuries become life-threatening. And this kind of shit happens despite reasonable planning and prep.

Oh yea, avalanches suck too.

What else?
    Thanks Telebobski,
    The class is User Experience Designer most things you use was designed, sometimes to look good but I'm trying to learn the human side. Does this make sense for the people it was made for? What is the intended purpose and is it easy to use? Need to know more about the use first.

The assignment is to pretend I work for backcountry ski magazine. Assignments were passed out randomly, glad I didn't get the farming magazine my friend got. Develop a persona, through interview (that's you guys) from that develop an insight based on the interview, then create a flow chart of how your day may go when you go up there, along with decisions you need to make along the way (like what you decide to take with you), pains (like piss on the skin tracks, I hate carrying a shovel.) from all that I try to find something the magazine could improve on or create something that it's readers would appreciate. The final concept could be a binding but I'd and tie it to the magazine and it's readers. If this was real, I'd spend a lot more time researching.

So I'd love to hear how you prepare all the way to the end of the day when you go to bed. As detailed or general as you want, the point is to say whatever comes up when you start thinking about it. Some of the most innovative stuff came from simple insights into someone's day.

You're right, would love to innovate like Cody Townsend, first hand. The best way I can explain it is designers gain insight from experts like directors of movies. Because the experts may not be as good at designing or directing movies so they work together.

telebobski,
    It's not always developing something new but maybe improving something. People like easy, quick and hopefully they'll tell their friends about it. If you have competition that makes something similar but it's easier to use, doesn't matter how great your product is the difficulties may prevent the user from getting to that stuff you worked so hard to develop. The concern is the experience.

I dont know that quick and easy are what BC skiers are looking for . Dependable and light is more like it. Also most every company that is BC oriented is driven more by the love of the sport than by money and most if not all are avid Bc skiers themselves. The surfing industry is the same way. There are very talented people working for a lot less money than they normally would to be in those industries. My point being that someone that isnt a backcountry skier is unlikely to find a better solution based on opinions from a ski forum from scratch. There are hundreds of threads in Tech Talk that have actual designers and BC skiers giving real time feedback on their designs. That would be a good place for you to start if you are for real.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    I dont know that quick and easy are what BC skiers are looking for . Dependable and light is more like it. Also most every company that is BC oriented is driven more by the love of the sport than by money and most if not all are avid Bc skiers themselves. The surfing industry is the same way. There are very talented people working for a lot less money than they normally would to be in those industries. My point being that someone that isnt a backcountry skier is unlikely to find a better solution based on opinions from a ski forum from scratch. There are hundreds of threads in Tech Talk that have actual designers and BC skiers giving real time feedback on their designs. That would be a good place for you to start if you are for real.
    Thanks Ski To Be,
    Dependable and light, great.
    I'm in a class and doing this as a project. If this was a real job I'd have money to find in person feedback from professionals and have more time to take a trip and be more hands on. I'm not a product designer, I'm studying user experience although they do overlap in many areas. For example, if you have a hard time setting your alarm clock everyday, maybe late for work sometimes because it wasn't set. There is a better way to organize the buttons or make the most important ones stand out either by size, texture or location, or maybe a better indicator as for when it's on. It's not always about creating a new clock. But for class it's always more exciting to create something from scratch. Ever notice for some websites it's easier to find what you're looking for then others, which would you go back to? Same stuff, different experience. I don't expect to get final answers here, I came here to understand through conversation without involving my own personal opinion, even if I were experienced I'd ask the same questions, but probably better worded.
    If a BC company or any of those designers created something great, wouldn't it be better to have it available to more people? Have more size options? More color options? That takes money and it's not about making money, how happy would that designer be if he saw people using and loving his design?
    Last edited by Blikkem; 10-03-2013 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    One reason I like my favorite backcountry is that just about no one else knows about it or goes there. One thing I hate is when other people hear about it and go there. I get ready by getting my gear together. Afterwards I like to get wasted and harass people on the internet.
    What do you hate about getting your gear together? (before I get a screen full of JONG filled rage. Let me remind you, I'm not asking what type of gear you put together, or which is the best, or what brands you use. Just what may be a pain. I also ask because everyone is a little different)

Check out these guys - the masters of product design for user experience http://www.ziba.com/

Right here in PDX, my home town.

How about this, what do you pack for a day in the BC and how much does weight play a role in what you take?
    Pretty sure everyone here packs the same stuff. You know, standard safety and survival gear:
    1 oz. of weed
    lighter
    bong
    1 flask/bottle of whiskey of choice (depending on duration of tour)
    studfinder
    bacon
    I like to be extra safe, so I throw in a few condoms
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    bacon
    Avalanche bacon? I hear that's what you really need in the backcountry...

Maybe build in a cigarette lighter to the cupholder of the binding.

How does one study "user experience" in a classroom?

I think they did that in a Monty Python skit...
    Living vicariously through myself.

why??!?

What do you hate about getting your gear together?
    Not much.

(before I get a screen full of JONG filled rage...
    Lighten up, Francis. Or I'll call you kid again.

Blikkem - prep for a day tour is not a pain point. Its an excuse to fondle our equipment.

likewise, Prep for multi day tours = unlikely to need some gizmo to make it easier

My dog-powered skintrack pooper-scooper &groomer sled is a much better idea. Why? Because I have in-depth knowledge of the backcountry experience. I know that removing frozen poo from a skin is a major pain point. I know that dogs come on tours. I also know they shit wherever and aren't smart enough to distinguish skin track from any other place to drop a load.

This kind of knowledge cannot be gained in a classroom.

What do you hate about getting your gear together?
    Most of us are gear whores and like getting our gear together. The only time it (kinda) sucks is maybe the first 1-2 times out in a season when you're still forgetting important things like whiskey or TP.

As to your other question, weight plays a huge role, because, you know, shit gets heavy. No one likes breaking trail with 40lbs on their back.

We've won it. It's going to get better now. You can sort of tell these things.

Come on, Bikkem, quit being a putz. This forum is an unending discussion of the questions you ask. (Ok, so there might be some other stuff as well.) Go read the last five years of TGR, list the complaints folks raise, list the praises they lavish and tally the times each one is mentioned, Have it on my desk by Monday.

Edit to add:you also might try posting on a forum devoted to backcountry skiing............
    Last edited by Baaahb; 10-04-2013 at 09:10 PM.
    It's not my fault you can't telemark.

The most important part of any backcountry ski trip is your first aid kit.

I recommend a few dozen high strength pain pills and a bottle of ether for the injured party. Also, and this is the most important part, an ounce (or 4, depending on length of approach) of the finest sticky icky for the poor son of a bitch who has to drag your broken ass out.

How does one study "user experience" in a classroom?
    Most of it is the process of how to collecting information, how to look at it, how to organize it. Every business is different, it's like we are the bridge between the user and the business, we get the info and tell them what they need so the user doesn't find their stuff a pain in the ass to use. If two different products/websites/apps do the same thing but one is easier to use then the other, which would you find yourself going to? It's one of those things that if it's done right, you won't notice. No one can teach creativity just a way to communicate it so others can make sense of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Not much.

Lighten up, Francis. Or I'll call you kid again.
    It's cool, humbles me.

Blikkem - prep for a day tour is not a pain point. Its an excuse to fondle our equipment.

likewise, Prep for multi day tours = unlikely to need some gizmo to make it easier

My dog-powered skintrack pooper-scooper &groomer sled is a much better idea. Why? Because I have in-depth knowledge of the backcountry experience. I know that removing frozen poo from a skin is a major pain point. I know that dogs come on tours. I also know they shit wherever and aren't smart enough to distinguish skin track from any other place to drop a load.

This kind of knowledge cannot be gained in a classroom.
    Thanks again telebobski.
    I agree with the equipment part.
    No experience with frozen poop.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathematics View Post
    Most of us are gear whores and like getting our gear together. The only time it (kinda) sucks is maybe the first 1-2 times out in a season when you're still forgetting important things like whiskey or TP.

As to your other question, weight plays a huge role, because, you know, shit gets heavy. No one likes breaking trail with 40lbs on their back.
    Thanks Mathematics,
    Yeah, I totally understand the gear whore thing. I end up wanting to buy something new every season.

Quote Originally Posted by Baaahb View Post
    Come on, Bikkem, quit being a putz. This forum is an unending discussion of the questions you ask. (Ok, so there might be some other stuff as well.) Go read the last five years of TGR, list the complaints folks raise, list the praises they lavish and tally the times each one is mentioned, Have it on my desk by Monday.

Edit to add:you also might try posting on a forum devoted to backcountry skiing............
    I'll be expecting my paycheck by the afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    The most important part of any backcountry ski trip is your first aid kit.

I recommend a few dozen high strength pain pills and a bottle of ether for the injured party. Also, and this is the most important part, an ounce (or 4, depending on length of approach) of the finest sticky icky for the poor son of a bitch who has to drag your broken ass out.
    Good point, thanks.

living near Salt Lake; any Backcountry close to home! Lots of angles to pick from in these ranges too.I can jam a sunrise run w/2k vert ,and be home for late breakfeast....conditions suck?resorts allow hiking, if u know where ,too
    ski paintingshttp://michael-cuozzo.fineartamerica.com" horror has a face; you must make a friend of horror...horror and moral terror.. are your friends...if not, they are enemies to be feared...the horror"....col Kurtz