Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    I'd rather spend time with the screaming drunks and the monster RV's with generators going all night in the campgrounds than with people who want to tell me how to live.

Haters gonna hate.

Old goat-I doubt you camp where I do so there probably isn't anything you have to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by bsideindy View Post
    thanks for the suggestions everyone. looks like the Zion campground in Springdale is our best option as we need to reserve something.

stealth camping and just winging it finding a good road is not going to work on this trip.
    I have stayed there a few times and had a site on the Virgin River each time. It was nice. You won't be disappointed.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

I'd Like to revisit this. Moved out to Utah in December and will be driving to Sedona to visit family mid April. I was hoping to stop and car camp near Zion for a couple of days. Is there any realistic option for me to pull off somewhere around Virgin or Springdale if I don't have 4wd?

On a related note. I'm heading to Zion with my wife in a few weeks. She's not as enthusiastic about hiking as I am. Given roughly 48 hours in the park what would be your recommendations for essentials to see? I think we've got to do Angel's Landing, but what else? I think I'll need to stick to short, reasonably flat walks other than that one. I will have a car and will be staying in Springdale.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    On a related note. I'm heading to Zion with my wife in a few weeks. She's not as enthusiastic about hiking as I am. Given roughly 48 hours in the park what would be your recommendations for essentials to see? I think we've got to do Angel's Landing, but what else? I think I'll need to stick to short, reasonably flat walks other than that one. I will have a car and will be staying in Springdale.
    You can camp on gooseberry Mesa without 4wd. Got up there in my Jetta no problem. Angels landing is the big hike right? We did a shorty to some sort of waterfalls that was super super mellow too.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Angels landing is the big hike right?
    Depends on how you classify 'big.' It climbs 1,500 feet and it's about 5 miles round trip. That seems extremely moderate to me, but I've never done the hike so I can't say for sure.

The waterfall hike you did sounds like Emerald Pools: http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/emeraldpools.cfm

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Depends on how you classify 'big.' It climbs 1,500 feet and it's about 5 miles round trip. That seems extremely moderate to me, but I've never done the hike so I can't say for sure.

The waterfall hike you did sounds like Emerald Pools: http://www.citrusmilo.com/zionguide/emeraldpools.cfm
    Right but relative to what's around. You basically do a big 270 to the left until you're on a little point looking down the valley. Not a big physical effort but surprising degree of vertigo sections given the crowd headed up there.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

too late for the AD but day hiking up the Virgin River is worth doing although crowded of course. The farther you go the less crowded it gets. Worth renting canyoneering shoes (comes with a hiking stick which is also worth it). A warning about the rental shoes though--we did the 2 day hike down the Virgin and the second day there was an awful smell coming from our gear when we got up in the morning. I thought the poop bag had leaked in my pack. Turned out to be the shoes.

Yeah, the Narrows looks awesome, but didn't get around to it this time. We walked the river trail up to the end, but that's as far as we got.