Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Pretty bad in the monashees right now.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

north faces around here appear fine. the ridge I was on was fine (at maybe 2000m?). the freezing levels didn't seem to come up all that high, it's the sun damage. the snow at the bottom of our run, maybe 1500m in open trees and some shade, was the nicest of the run. eta- this is for at ww, a couple hrs south of trout lake.

I have doubts about any skiff materializing.

Thanks for the beta, guess we might as well bring more gas and hope for the best. Here's the one time I can hope for some "whore" frost to give up the goods.
    Man, It was great...

Spent the last week in the Valkyr range south of Nakusp. Alpine is wind hammered but sheltered trees between 2200m and 1400m on non-solar aspects were still skiing well yesterday. Snow is settled but soft. Easy and fast travel as ski pen was only ankle deep. The last several days have been more of an inversion rather than high FL. Ridge top we were seeing 0c to +2c while in the valley bottoms temps were as low as -4c. Some surface hoar in cut blocks and valley bottoms which obviously skied soft as well. So hit the right terrain and you will still have some fun.
    Last edited by goral; 01-21-2014 at 02:33 PM.

Had a sweet little trip to the Kootenay's over the holidays with my dog and Van - Some fine skiing in your parts that is for sure. I was really amazed how well spaced the trees were at whitewater and kootenay pass, one local told me that 'god made them like that'! Can wait to get back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KootenaybyVan-20.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	148941

Name:	KootenaybyVan-6.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	148942

Name:	KootenaybyVan-23.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	148943

Name:	KootenaybyVan-16.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	148944

THe rest be here if you are interested

Can't wait to get back

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    spent last week back @ the

came in on 90sumthin cm the previous week w/ another 50 sun-tues.
    190 on the hut snow stake
    decent stability but hasties reveled a few pwl most shearin q1 but not a lot of energy
    winds blasted/funked a lot of the alpine but the carpenter basin skied well all week
    a few naturals w/ this one on recco(???) being the most sizeable crown

dodged the weather guessers above freezing to 9k bullet as s facin got a bit of the solar funkages
    but the 8-6 k sheltered held pleasurable turns all week

in my next life i'm gonna b canadian

eh
    Stoked to be headin back for Carlyse presidents clusterfuckagees next winter
    and mailin in the deposit check for valhalla 2016 today
    will try n do a proper tr this week
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Conditions update from cat, heli, and touring in the past few days. Wind fucked up high. Thin and faceted on the ridge-lines. Sheltered trees at mid-elevations, on all aspects but south, are still holding creamy hoar-frosted powder. Easy travel. Lingering instabilities but no recent activity. Endless sunny days.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    spent last week back @ the
    Hanging with Scott and Gord?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    scott and don
    were most awesome hut custodians
    great dudes
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by goral View Post
    Spent the last week in the Valkyr range south of Nakusp. Alpine is wind hammered but sheltered trees between 2200m and 1400m on non-solar aspects were still skiing well yesterday. Snow is settled but soft. Easy and fast travel as ski pen was only ankle deep. The last several days have been more of an inversion rather than high FL. Ridge top we were seeing 0c to +2c while in the valley bottoms temps were as low as -4c. Some surface hoar in cut blocks and valley bottoms which obviously skied soft as well. So hit the right terrain and you will still have some fun.
    Sweet! Thanks for the beta, sounds "acceptable" all things considered!
    Man, It was great...

heading out for 2 weeks end of feb and beginning of march - stoked to be heading back to the interior again!

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    scott and don
    were most awesome hut custodians
    great dudes
    Had a great time with Scott over New Year's week at Valhalla. Fortunately for him, what happens at Valhalla stays at Valhalla. Except the pictures. Those made it back..

Looks like I'll be spending half my weeks in Nakusp for the next while. Does anyone have any beta on ski touring in the area, or know people that tour around here?

ooooooh next Wednesday 30% pop! woot!

Ymir snowfest Feb 22. should snow by then.

South Kootenays. Ridgelines and thin areas in the alpine are now either wind-pack or facets to the ground. Bare ground in some sunny/wind scoured areas. Heads up if/when it snows. Still soft and fun in the sheltered big trees.

Heading up tomorrow to Nelson then Revy for the week. Hoping the models are right with this bit of precip.

Anyone up for a ski hit me up. Might be high alpine if conditions permit.

What do you do when it isn't snowing in Canada and your trip is only partially booked?

Pull the plug the morning of, Check flights to Japan on miles and PULL THE FUCKING TRIGGER!

must be nice.
    Highway bowl today wasn't terrible, which is more than I can say for the heinous fucking skintrack out. Who set that? and who is the fuckwit who bootpacked up the whole thing. it took us an hour to get up the first 200m.

At Valhalla Mountain Touring this week. Other than a few cm on Wednesday, no new snow, but still got the goods. Stepping up everyday until today we were skiing runs that one of the owner/guides had never skied, and that they only get into every few years at best. One of the best trips I have had here, and I have been on a few.

So, there is still good snow up high, on NW or sun sheltered aspects, and at least in their area, pretty bomber snow pack.

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    So, there is still good snow up high, on NW or sun sheltered aspects, and at least in their area, pretty bomber snow pack.

HAHA- you heard it hear first. Bomber snowpack... LOL

Snaked some guys line on Ross today but missed the old E drop from the Teton Heli #gottheshot.

Things are starting to get pretty rad around Revelstoke these days.

Name:	Getting Radd.jpg 
Views:	308 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	149224

Skied out to the north ridge of Ghost Peak today. Snow quality was fine.

And a scenic shot:

Just back from an excellent week in Kokanee Glacier Provincial Park. As elsewhere it was completely windblasted in the alpine, which made for fast travel, but some very nice snow could be found below treeline.

The surface hoar was impressive. Even up on the glacier there was significant surface hoar. At Tanal Lake (1800m) we found 7.5 cm (three inch) crystals.

More typical was this, on an east facing ridge at 2150m

Things could get lively after the next storm!

Still haven't found the speed limit on my Lokens! One of the best days in the mtns I have had in a while. Summited a 8000 footer (big deal for okanagan boys).

www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Nice video!