Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

People cut...Kenda listened. New Nevegal...

I'll give the 27.5x 2.35 a try for light duty XC if they are still priced as well as the originals.
    Looks like new tread, new compound rubber, and slightly lighter weight...

Still LOVE my HR II's, but yeah, they are piggy for brutal climbs...

http://reviews.mtbr.com/revealed-ken...al-x-pro-tires
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Yay... everybody's got an Ardent knock-off : )

Hopefully it's not anywhere near as slow as the original Nevegals...

Pretty sure that is what they are addressing in addition to rollover performance. Hopefully the bead is tighter for TRS/ ghetto systems, or it comes in TRS\ UST.

I would imagine this design is more from Peat's design influence and customer feedback rather than any attempt to copy an Ardent. But I don't know.

So they made the cornering knobs smaller...
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yup. And lightened the tire, and changed the compound.
    Which could be very good, or still terrible.

It doesn't look like an Ardent knockoff, it looks like a Bontrager XR4 knockoff.
    http://bontrager.com/model/11643

Wait, wtf?
    And with the bigger contact patch of 29ers and 27.5 tires, the smaller cornering knobs are more appropriate.
    I've lost what little possible respect I've had for empty beer.
    No longer stuck.

what doesn't make sense to you about that?

what about kendas new honey badger tire? anyone ridden one or read about em yet?

Still looks like POS to me. It's still packed with intermediate knobs, which were the ones you removed to make it better. Also, the article author is obviously an idiot, smoking rocks, or both. Seriously WTF is he talking about here?

The Kenda Nevegal made waves since it was introduced as it offered ample and predictable cornering grip.
    This statement is only true if by "ample" you mean terrible and by "predictable" you mean predictably shitty.

It seemed to do everything well and it kept the rider upright and safe since it behaved consistently even at the limit.
    I am at a loss for words.

Haha...yeah, you are probably right. I don't know why I *want* to like these things...maybe because they were the cheapest not super-crap tire available for a few years....

I used to really like the Nevegal, but over this past summer, it's seemed less and less predictable -- now just a scary cornering tire. IDK what happened. Maybe it's just late-summer looseness on the trails.

I cut off all the alternating transition knobs on a 2.5 Nevegal that someone gave me, as it was just scary out at Downieville a few weeks back. Haven't ridden that bike since then, but probably will take it out this weekend for a shuttled ride and see if it's any better after trimming.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Still has intermediate knobs... lower cornering knobs. How is this tire better?

DTM, I liked this gem:

Whether in the rooty trails of the East Coast, the rocky trails of Arizona or the loose trails of California, the Nevegal was always up to the task.
    Bwahahahahahaha!!! These tires suck in the loose.

El Chup, I cut all of the intermediate knobs off of mine a few years back. It was better, but not great. It felt like the channel was actually too big in that case. Some of that had to do with the fact I was running 2.35s on 819s, which rounded out the profile a lot. As a result, I had to lean the bike waaaay over to get those side knobs to engage.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    El Chup, I cut all of the intermediate knobs off of mine a few years back. It was better, but not great. It felt like the channel was actually too big in that case. Some of that had to do with the fact I was running 2.35s on 819s, which rounded out the profile a lot. As a result, I had to lean the bike waaaay over to get those side knobs to engage.
    I didn't write it very well in my post -- I cut out every other knob in the row of intermediate knobs. It looked like the channel would be too wide if I cut all of them, so I thought I'd try this first.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

How does having a 29er mean I need lower cornering knobs. I feel like i need higher knobs to make up for the increased rotational force. Or something.
    Maybe it's also the narrower rims, but my 26er rims are probably at least as narrow. I'm also comparing different rear tires, but, um, yeah.

Can't have too much cornering traction.

Kenda needs to stop their shit and make BBGs in the same widths in 29".
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I didn't write it very well in my post -- I cut out every other knob in the row of intermediate knobs. It looked like the channel would be too wide if I cut all of them, so I thought I'd try this first.
    Actually, I figured that's what you did. On the flip side though, I was thinking you rode them like that at D-ville. But after re-reading your post it looks like you haven't yet?
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    Actually, I figured that's what you did. On the flip side though, I was thinking you rode them like that at D-ville. But after re-reading your post it looks like you haven't yet?
    Right, I haven't ridden it after trimming.

How does having a 29er mean I need lower cornering knobs. .
    It doesn't necessarily mean that. There are so many variables in equipment, riders, and styles the only thing you can do is learn to feel how different techniques and gear make your bike feel different and then adjust to taste.

Too often, people read about modding parts but they don't really understand why they are doing it and sometimes the mod turns out to be worse than doing nothing.

I personally really liked the modified Nev. after doing some clipping. I did two different cut patterns on every other transition knob. Thought it made a huge difference in Breckenridge Brown dirt, but not so much difference in Fruita and Bend soils, for example. Worked well here in the tetons with deep dust (as well as anything does, I guess) and yes, good in loam.
    was a 2.5 though, (stick-E) so pretty wide regardless of rim width.

That new tire has nothing to do with a cut nevegal.

I don't think kenda even claimed that so I blame rideit exclusively

I also blame francis for continuing to mimic knowing his ass from his elbow regarding anything related to bike performance.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Well, if you don't blame me, you know who will!

What goes on between you and jesus regarding tires is your own business.

I learned that from the pope recently.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Gives new meaning to studded snowballs

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What goes on between you and jesus regarding tires is your own business.

I learned that from the pope recently.
    da pope rides scwhalbes, WTF does he know.
    one step forward, no step backward