Page 5 of 63 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Took a trip up The Cone this afternoon to field test new boot fit and HammerFit (DynaHead?) insert project.

Got to lot at 12:30 or so with temps at 27F, parked next to the famous LindsOrama, purveyor of sled stoke. Nice to get re-acquainted and meet her BFF Kira.

After returning home to retrieve my poles (ProTip - Titans are much better driving shoes than T1s) finally got going again at 2PM, w/ temps still at 27. High pressure held the clouds right on the crest, moving east & spitting a little snow and then moving west & letting the sun through.

My summer training regimen of working at a computer 70 hours per week really paid off, as I reached the top in a ripping 68 minutes!. wheezing like an asthmatic and sweating like a hooker at confession.

Sol must have seen me coming and broke up the clouds for a peek

South Sister
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0716.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	144845

Broken Top

Name:	IMG_0714.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	1.08 MB 
ID:	144846

The snow was a little heavy from the wind and it's still kinda boney (reminder-see Skjiersaas for base repair) in places, but everything worked ('cept my memory).

Now snow, dammit!

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Took a trip up The Cone this afternoon to field test new boot fit and HammerFit (DynaHead?) insert project.

Got to lot at 12:30 or so with temps at 27F, parked next to the famous LindsOrama, purveyor of sled stoke. Nice to get re-acquainted and meet her BFF Kira.

After returning home to retrieve my poles (ProTip - Titans are much better driving shoes than T1s) finally got going again at 2PM, w/ temps still at 27. High pressure held the clouds right on the crest, moving east & spitting a little snow and then moving west & letting the sun through.

My summer training regimen of working at a computer 70 hours per week really paid off, as I reached the top in a ripping 68 minutes!. wheezing like an asthmatic and sweating like a hooker at confession.

Sol must have seen me coming and broke up the clouds for a peek

The snow was a little heavy from the wind and it's still kinda boney (reminder-see Skjiersaas for base repair) in places, but everything worked ('cept my memory).

Now snow, dammit!
    I made two different trips up today and rode from rainbow down to the bottom of sunrise. The snow had filled in well over there and was quite fun. I didnt have time to explore up higher, but it looked a bit scoured. Once with the pooch and again later with the wife. She was stoked.

Name:	20131117_133145.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	806.7 KB 
ID:	144857

Name:	20131117_143217.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	692.7 KB 
ID:	144860

Name:	20131117_144247.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	750.6 KB 
ID:	144861
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131117_143217.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	636.3 KB 
ID:	144858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20131117_144247.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	687.9 KB 
ID:	144859  

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post
    Cruised around Meadows today with Patatero and non-mag Dave. The base area was *barely* above the freezing line, so the snow was heavy, but super skiable. Lots of carveable windbuff in many places, transitioning to heavy pow once you got off the ridge a bit. Didn't see anything move other than an inch of windbuff here and there on convexities, and even then it was just sluffy.

Good turns in both Three and Four bowl, as well as some meadowskipping off Cascade liftline.

Dave:

Patatero:

One more good storm will open a bunch of stuff up.
    Did you guys throw a few WOOT WOOTs at a couple skiing down just below cascade lift shack around 11? That was me and my wife getting rad after scoping out 3-4 bowl.

No, don't think it was us, but there were alot of people up there yesterday. We went past 4bowl on the last climb and skipped it due to it being "skied out". One of the better inbounds pre-season days.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtSkidmark View Post
    Did you guys throw a few WOOT WOOTs at a couple skiing down just below cascade lift shack around 11? That was me and my wife getting rad after scoping out 3-4 bowl.
    Did you do Beavertail?
    Training for Alpental

Of course. Beaver tail is the gnar.

Anyone get out today? Frz levels looked highish. That plus Mt B saying "various types of winter weather". I don't care as long as it helps for opening! Bring it!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Just asking: I'm supposed to be in Portland on 12/5 for work...thinking of sticking around from the 6th - 8th. Anyone gonna be hitting up lift served stuff that weekend.

Also, who should I visit to pick up some skis? I'll bring the rest of my own gear, but I don't feel like toting a ski bag across the country for 2 days of lift served. If someone is full of grace and likes beer: BSL = 325.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Anyone get out today? Frz levels looked highish. That plus Mt B saying "various types of winter weather". I don't care as long as it helps for opening! Bring it!
    I dont know about this...no new precip forecast for rest of week.
    http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...n#.UowrXOe9KSM

Based on last weekend weather, I'm guessing the west side of the Mtn has more snow than at the stake. How mushy it is after today's warm/wet is another matter.

How much snow can they make in the next four days? Would they open the summit and backside on day 1 if conditions are sunny as forecast? Or will it still be too boney up high as well?

Welcome to Central Oregon, JONG!

Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

At least the MTB riding's been great...

Upper mountain opening.........not! You would have dead bodies splattered everywhere. With very cold PM temps and low AM temps the Snow quality should stay good. Perfect for skidders to scrap off the runs down to the Sharks teeth. It would be beneficial if the hill was a block of Ice. It looks like a pitiful start but the patterns will flop to Winter by the start of next month.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Looks like peak-bagging weather this weekend.

Epic day on Mt. Bachelor, top to bottom. Wind blown packed powder up high, but still super fun. Limited opening this weekend.

Name:	20131120_105403.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	454.4 KB 
ID:	145072

Name:	20131120_092901.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	690.7 KB 
ID:	145073

Name:	20131120_090407.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	800.4 KB 
ID:	145074

Name:	20131120_105418.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	720.0 KB 
ID:	145075

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post
    Looks like peak-bagging weather this weekend.
    Forget that, I'm going to lap easy rider and butter cup all weekend....lame. No more uphill traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Patarero View Post
    Forget that, I'm going to lap easy rider and butter cup all weekend....lame. No more uphill traffic.
    Thanks for the heads up. 4 year old has been getting pretty antsy. Looks like a sunny start.

From Meadows Website:

Ready to ride? We have limited operations planned for a "Preview Weekend" under sunny skies: Buttercup, Easy Rider, and the Ballroom Carpet. Want to hit some features? Shipyard Park will be set up for freestyle.

Quote Originally Posted by homeeey View Post
    From Meadows Website:

Ready to ride? We have limited operations planned for a "Preview Weekend" under sunny skies: Buttercup, Easy Rider, and the Ballroom Carpet. Want to hit some features? Shipyard Park will be set up for freestyle.
    I'll see you all in line for first tracks on the Ballroom Carpet!
    Eat drink and be merry, for tomorrow you may be in Utah...

Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Upper mountain opening.........not! You would have dead bodies splattered everywhere.
    You say that like its a bad thing...

Quote Originally Posted by splitinbend View Post
    Epic day on Mt. Bachelor, top to bottom. Wind blown packed powder up high, but still super fun. Limited opening thiis weekend
    Opening limited to a terrain park? No carnage there

Glad you got some yesterday. They've cut off hiking except Teh Cone starting today

Quote Originally Posted by TNThor View Post
    I'll see you all in line for first tracks on the Ballroom Carpet!

Who are you kidding, you guys are habitually back of the line.
    Training for Alpental

Not true! I have dozens of photos just like this:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1385073392.535745.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	145109

spook Guest
    unsolved mystery!!!!

GOVERNMENT CAMP – Police are investigating a "suspicious death" at a luxury resort on Mount Hood.

A body was reported by a maintenance employee at Collins Lake Resort, 30573 E. Ski Bowl Way, at 11:06 a.m. The resort, across the road from Mt. Hood Ski Bowl, caters to skiers and offers condo and townhouse rentals.
    However, no information is available about the deceased or the circumstances.
    Sgt. Robert Wurpes, Clackamas County Sheriff's Office spokesman, said deputies who arrived at the scene said the death was suspicious, but released no details. He said detectives from the sheriff's Homicide and Violent Crimes Unit and deputies from the Clackamas County Medical Examiner's Office will investigate.

^The Cops went by me while was grinding up (25mph) the West side of 26 today. For all you Portland folks going up the Mountain..........run it cool the cops are hiding under every rock on the side of the road.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

sounds like the shining all over!!!!!

And the annual spook/mt hood death creepfest begins early...