Page 39 of 63 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast
    spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    That is crazy. I still get absolute cold sweats thinking about a similar situation I had a few seasons back in Elk\Yoda. I would have been finished had it not been for a friend who got me out. Heart rate goes up thinking about it...Reinforces the importance of riding with a buddy. (And staying close to that buddy...a problem I am trying to improve on...)

Glad you got out ok.

jonesy bitched at me for following too close. this time it will be too far. that's what happens when you ride alone all the time.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    oh baby, this morning was goooood...super dreamy pre-work pow turns...my body dissolving as I simply turned into energy flowing down the slope. dream state loveliness.

cool trees

Quote Originally Posted by OldMil View Post
    Meadows was pretty awesome this morning. At least until my last run down PR when a snow bridge collapsed underneath me at the bottom and I fell head first down into a creek hole. My skis got wedged in at the top of the hole and kept me from going all the way to the bottom (~8-10 ft deep). I could not move at all and never would have gotten out by myself without falling all the way in. Three awesome dudes (including 1 off duty patroller) helped me out. Be careful in PR as the creeks are covered but not filled in and the snow is supper unconsolidated all the way to the ground.
    Which bridge in Yoda collapsed? The one skiers left or right? I did a few laps in there today, but didn't see your rescue. Glad you're ok!

I not much on flowing.........it's more hit or miss. Good fun Tapper.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

That is crazy. I still get absolute cold sweats thinking about a similar situation I had a few seasons back in Elk\Yoda. I would have been finished had it not been for a friend who got me out. Heart rate goes up thinking about it...Reinforces the importance of riding with a buddy. (And staying close to that buddy...a problem I am trying to improve on...)

Glad you got out ok.
    strangely, i think of your post every time i go back there (alone, no avy gear, etc.). strangely it keeps me more attentive and aware.
    fine

oldmil, glad you're still with us!

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109 View Post
    strangely, i think of your post every time i go back there (alone, no avy gear, etc.). strangely it keeps me more attentive and aware.
    Nice. I am glad to hear it. I sure think about it whenever I ride pow, it's changed how I approach riding. (That could be old age\having kids too...)

Oldmil was lucky. Take heed it can happen to anyone
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    Which bridge in Yoda collapsed? The one skiers left or right? I did a few laps in there today, but didn't see your rescue. Glad you're ok!
    It wasn't one of the official bridges that crosses the main creek at the bottom. I skied down towards the skiers left side of Yoda and when I got towards the bottom I hung a right and headed towards what looked like the main bridge where there were a lot of tracks. I skied through what looked like a harmless, shallow gully that was totally snow covered and as soon as I hit the trough of it all of the snow collapsed under my downhill ski. A huge sink hole opened up all the way to the ground and in I went.

It wasn't one of the official bridges that crosses the main creek at the bottom. I skied down towards the skiers left side of Yoda and when I got towards the bottom I hung a right and headed towards what looked like the main bridge where there were a lot of tracks. I skied through what looked like a harmless, shallow gully that was totally snow covered and as soon as I hit the trough of it all of the snow collapsed under my downhill ski. A huge sink hole opened up all the way to the ground and in I went.
    If i am understanding correctly, this is "my" creek also. I was a little higher up. The creek goes down the middle of the meadow...

I almost got sucked into one of those a couple years ago. Sow got all slushy and blue. Anytime I take someone into that meadow now, I tell them they need to pick a spine and stay on it all the way to the ottom. Crossing those troughs is super risky.

Damn dude, glad you're alright. That must have been quite a surprise. Glad you had the benefit of a quick extraction.

All this discussion in here the past few days has me reconsidering my gear list when I come out your way. Skiing with buddies, but didn't think we needed b/p/s for in-bounds. Didn't realize the threat level was that high right now. Color me naive.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinfield View Post
    I almost got sucked into one of those a couple years ago. Sow got all slushy and blue. Anytime I take someone into that meadow now, I tell them they need to pick a spine and stay on it all the way to the ottom. Crossing those troughs is super risky.
    Damn right. I was there today and crossed one. Realized where I was and about shit my pants.
    Your jambox is now his...by way of our actions

Hit meadows on the morning till noon. Snow outside trees was whacked down by wind. Snow in trees lighter. Coverage is much better, hit Gods from peak and barely hit anything harmful.

Then went to ski bowl. Had 2nd chair on upper lift. Snow was much lighter and fluff compared to mhm. Railed run till 6 with no lift lines. Snow never set up, fluff. Coverage great at Bowl too.

Quote Originally Posted by The SMP View Post
    Damn right. I was there today and crossed one. Realized where I was and about shit my pants.
    I talked to a ski patrol acquaintance at meadows about this a few years back. Wondering if they could mark this area a bit. He said there is just too much to mark back there, it is expert area, and folks need to be careful. I understand, and agree to an extent...but damn, seems like many have been nailed by this same specific area/creek down the middle of a bowl/meadow. It is not a problem after consolidation with a big base, but it sure would not hurt to mark when there was next to no base a few weeks ago, then 100 inches...with no consolidation. Those who have had close calls know...and do not benefit much from a few poles...but I am sure others would.

This was posted on the meadows email this morning:
    If you want to drop into gated terrain, don't forget you'll need a beacon, shovel, probe, and a partner. Have a great day and we'll see you up to your chin in snow at Meadows!

This is for open gated terrain I would assume.

Quote Originally Posted by powholic View Post
    This was posted on the meadows email this morning:
    If you want to drop into gated terrain, don't forget you'll need a beacon, shovel, probe, and a partner. Have a great day and we'll see you up to your chin in snow at Meadows!

This is for open gated terrain I would assume.
    Yeah, a good move with this much snow. This happened yesterday in a remote section of S&R Cliffs when I was fortunately travelling with beacon/probe/shovel and partner with the same. It was pretty small, but slid 40 yards or so, and 1 time outta 50 could have done some harm. I go back there quite a bit solo without gear, but with this much snow, it's the right move. And to the other post above, I agree with the notion that it is definitely not reasonable for them to mark everything. They have gates with warnings. That's enough IMO. The area needs a bit more respect from us skiers, including me, than it currently gets, and I am just happy when it is open for me to make the choice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avy1.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	151008

Name:	avy2.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	151007

Name:	avy4.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	151009

Name:	avy3.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	151010
    Last edited by klauss; 02-20-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Anybody doing night skiing at Ski Bowl tonight? Might be the only way I can take advantage of this storm.

spook Guest
    I talked to a ski patrol acquaintance at meadows about this a few years back. Wondering if they could mark this area a bit. He said there is just too much to mark back there, it is expert area, and folks need to be careful. I understand, and agree to an extent...but damn, seems like many have been nailed by this same specific area/creek down the middle of a bowl/meadow. It is not a problem after consolidation with a big base, but it sure would not hurt to mark when there was next to no base a few weeks ago, then 100 inches...with no consolidation. Those who have had close calls know...and do not benefit much from a few poles...but I am sure others would.

just seems like they should mark known hazards or not open it until those hazards don't exist because there's more snow.

i spent the whole day on outback. legs were dead, had the wrong lens in my goggles to start, ate it hard on my first two runs and just had a hard time getting a groove going. also believe i did my first multi-rotation tomahawk. i had enough time to have an empty thought before i hit and it was the softest landing i could have possibly imagined.

hopefully better luck tomorrow.

Flailing~Spook? If your not falling your not,you'll be fine. I need a Bluebird day and have put an order in. The Goggles won't be umm an issue,ok. I'll txt you Fri. AM. Sunday I have a sit-skier coming into town so I'm committed on that.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    I agree with the notion that it is definitely not reasonable for them to mark everything. They have gates with warnings. That's enough IMO. The area needs a bit more respect from us skiers, including me, than it currently gets, and I am just happy when it is open for me to make the choice.
    Couldn't agree more. Just treat it just like a backcountry experience and respect the terrain.

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    Yeah, a good move with this much snow. This happened yesterday in a remote section of S&R Cliffs when I was fortunately travelling with beacon/probe/shovel and partner with the same. It was pretty small, but slid 40 yards or so, and 1 time outta 50 could have done some harm. I go back there quite a bit solo without gear, but with this much snow, it's the right move. And to the other post above, I agree with the notion that it is definitely not reasonable for them to mark everything. They have gates with warnings. That's enough IMO. The area needs a bit more respect from us skiers, including me, than it currently gets, and I am just happy when it is open for me to make the choice.

Name:	avy1.jpg 
Views:	259 
Size:	217.1 KB 
ID:	151008

Name:	avy2.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	215.8 KB 
ID:	151007

Name:	avy4.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	234.6 KB 
ID:	151009

Name:	avy3.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	187.5 KB 
ID:	151010
    So it sorta looks in the first photo like you went for a ride on that slab? If so, glad you weren't hurt.

Did the slab collapse or glide on a crusty layer?

And totally agree that the gates provide enough warning. People going into PR might want to check a topo map first and understand what they are getting into rather than expecting Patrol to mark every damn obstacle so they can blunder through a "backcountry experience".

Anyway, this was another one of those days Bachy serves up to remind me of Mt Hood. Goretex or no, you're soaked after a couple of hours and the wind blows snow into every orifice. Especially loved the freezing fog on the west side. First world problem...

Jonesy, the gods of weather again respond to your orders. Saturday should be nice and sunny for Vertfest. Hope to finish and get a congratulatory Apple Pie before you have to go home for a nap.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy View Post
    Flailing~Spook? If your not falling your not,you'll be fine. I need a Bluebird day and have put an order in. The Goggles won't be umm an issue,ok. I'll txt you Fri. AM. Sunday I have a sit-skier coming into town so I'm committed on that.

cool. i'm heading back to eugene in the afternoon friday. i don't believe i said flailing. i said tomahawking.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Anyway, this was another one of those days Bachy serves up to remind me of Mt Hood. Goretex or no, you're soaked after a couple of hours and the wind blows snow into every orifice. Especially loved the freezing fog on the west side. First world problem...

Jonesy, the gods of weather again respond to your orders. Saturday should be nice and sunny for Vertfest. Hope to finish and get a congratulatory Apple Pie before you have to go home for a nap.
    what a bummer, boobski. i thought for sure jonesy was going to bring us together.