Page 14 of 63 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    ^^There are worse things than biking in bend. XC skiing, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i'm starting to think i should shave my annual ski beard and burn it in offering.
    This is solid thinking. Mine has been very itchy recently, maybe it's been trying to tell me something.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Bringing a crew of friends to Bachelor next week; are there any CC skiing areas open nearby in case the hill is unskiable? Are we going to be forced to go biking instead?
    Here now, wish i bought bike gear not ski gear. Looks like Mt. Bach has XC trails in service - that about where the snow starts, the entire 12" worth. It was 50F and pure sun today in Bend.

Bringing a crew of friends to Bachelor next week; are there any CC skiing areas open nearby in case the hill is unskiable? Are we going to be forced to go biking instead?
    Sorry to say a lot of trails in the area are in rough shape due to thaw and really shouldn't be ridden. See http://cotamtb.com/trails/phils-trail-complex/ for trail status. Decent riding to be had in the badlands though.

Probably not worth bringing rockered skis - slalom or GS race stock will work best for the somewhat firm conditions.

Looks like a day of Bachelor groomers and a few days of roadie rides out to the reservoir. Oh well, beats sitting at home. Thanks for the info.

SNOW GODDAMNIT! JUST FUCKING SNOW!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skideals.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	381.2 KB 
ID:	147445  
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Sorry to say a lot of trails in the area are in rough shape due to thaw and really shouldn't be ridden.
    Yes a lot of the high profile areas are under snow/blowdown/mud, but east side is riding great. Maston is beautiful and flowy right now; nice views of middle deschutes canyon and the sisters, and it's had some expansions and connections added to it lately. The horses are coming in also.

Lots of new hiking trails have been opening in the deschutes and crooked canyons lately also, and all this sun makes it awfully pleasant in there. Good boating for mid-deschutes right now as well.

Just got back from Bend. Really wished that wasn't my first experience at bachelor (last time, april 2000(?), I got rained out).
    Shame as it really looks like a fun mountain.
    fine

Quote Originally Posted by tuffy109 View Post
    Just got back from Bend. Really wished that wasn't my first experience at bachelor (last time, april 2000(?), I got rained out).
    Shame as it really looks like a fun mountain.
    How bad was it?

FWIW, as a former Tahoe skier, I've skied a lot worse in terms of low tide conditions. IMHO, it isn't too bad as long as the crowds aren't out.

Really hoping the slight refresh might come to fruition at the end of this week...

Quote Originally Posted by PowderTechnician View Post
    FWIW, as a former Tahoe skier, I've skied a lot worse in terms of low tide conditions. IMHO, it isn't too bad as long as the crowds aren't out.

Really hoping the slight refresh might come to fruition at the end of this week...
    Tahoe must have really, really shitty days.

How bad was it?
    The coverage that's there is rock hard. Top has yet to open this season.
    fine

Planning on ice skating out to Broken Top this weekend.
    Where is overnight parking allowed. Need to leave the vehicle for several days.
    Dutchman Flat? Bachelor parking lot?

Spitting snow @ Noon on Bachelor w/ more on the way. Breakable crust off the Groomers for those looking for challenging conditions. Happy New Year,be safe.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

spook Guest
    i'm taking the wife and kid to timberline tomorrow to ride some groomed ice and test my knee. we'll see if losing 40+ pounds after 6 months of bikram and 3 months of swimming and 1 month of elliptical is a good enough start.

spook Guest
    Attachment 147665

honest to god if i'd known there was even as much coverage at timberline as there is i would have been up there bombing and carving. no knee pain at all except for holding the snowboard on the lift. my legs feel in midseason form from all the bikram.

and best of all, we even got my 2 1/2 year old on skis and he loved it. i was working with him and then let him go without him knowing it and he started to fall back in his back seat and pulled himself back up and skied 30m by himself and at the end he threw his arms up and screamed "I'M A SKIER!!! I'M A SKIER, DADDY!!!"

i'm still smiling.

okay ullr. bring it.
    Last edited by spook; 01-02-2014 at 02:57 PM.

Attachment 147665

honest to god if i'd know there was even as much coverage at timberline as there is i would have been up there bombing and carving. no knee pain at all except for holding the snowboard on the lift. my legs feel in midseason form from all the bikram.

and best of all, we even got my 2 1/2 year old on skis and he loved it. i was working with him and then let him go without him knowing it and he started to fall back in his back seat and pulled himself back up and skied 30m by himself and at the end he threw his arms up and screamed "I'M A SKIER!!! I'M A SKIER, DADDY!!!"

i'm still smiling.

okay ullr. bring it.
    That is awesome!

spook Guest
    i get so preoccupied thinking about powder that sometimes i forget how much i like bombing icy groomers. i had one of my best days ever on a shitty day at bachelor. nwx wasn't open, but they'd groomed outback and i spent 6 hours back there alone bombing lap after lap and it was awesome. sometimes i forget that you just have to make the most out of what there is. i blame this place and all the powtalk.

and as long as i stay in shape, it's pretty obvious i'm going to have a partner before long.

didn't take too many nicks on the board either, though that was definitely possible.

i get so preoccupied thinking about powder that sometimes i forget how much i like bombing icy groomers. i had one of my best days ever on a shitty day at bachelor. nwx wasn't open, but they'd groomed outback and i spent 6 hours back there alone bombing lap after lap and it was awesome. sometimes i forget that you just have to make the most out of what there is. i blame this place and all the powtalk.

and as long as i stay in shape, it's pretty obvious i'm going to have a partner before long.

didn't take too many nicks on the board either, though that was definitely possible.
    To a degree, I get what your saying. It's rare that I've actually not had fun on the mountain. That said, I just have a hard time doing less than decent anymore. So many other things going on, it's tough for me to justify the time\money\hall pass expenditure for crap conditions. Additionally, beating up the board is too easy. If I'd have bought a pass this year, of course things would be a bit different.

I too will have a riding partner with my son, and the we will be up there regardless in the coming years.

Stoked your little guy liked it!

spook Guest
    yeah, i'm normally along your lines but i haven't ridden since jan 8 of last year and i had no idea if my knee was going to take ANY riding much less full speed. so even though the conditions were shitty, i was super stoked about my son and knowing that my riding days are not over.

at the end he threw his arms up and screamed "I'M A SKIER!!! I'M A SKIER, DADDY!!!"

i'm still smiling.

okay ullr. bring it.
    Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    That is awesome!
    X2
    That is awesome!
    Glad to hear you were both killing it!

If it wasn't for skiing with my kids this year I'd be going fucking nuts. Well, that might be slowly starting now. Come on Ullr!
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

kb1dqh Guest
    I skinned up from Timberline on the 29th, expecting to head to the Hogsback or if conditions were better than expected to the summit. They were not. I chose to skin to the right of the groomers and about 1/4 of the way up towards Palmer I realized I was basically on a sheet of ice. Pretty sketchy actually. It took me a while to maneuver back towards the edge of a groomer. Went to the top of Palmer and skied back. Good to be out, but pretty hard out there earlier in the week. Probably a bit better the higher you get.

spook Guest
    i got there too late to get up to palmer yesterday by about 5 minutes. magic mile was pretty decent coverage, particularly compared to the lower lifts that were open. i have to give them credit, it looks like they're moving what little snow they have all over the place. i caught air several times jumping over patches of volcanic whatever. but no major damage and that was riding in the dark mostly, so i was happy about that. meadows says they got 2 inches last night.