School me on Yurtski in the Swan Range, MT

Some buddies and I are looking to do a 3 day trip at Yurtski this winter. Any helpful info that mags could provide would be greatly appreciated. There are some good TRs from a few years ago, but not much current when I searched.

How long does the 11 mile approach to the huts take?

We only have 1 sled (2007 AC M8) is it worth bringing? The drivers of the sled are all beginner-intermediates...

Any recommendations on which month is best? we are looking at dates in January and March at the moment.

What else do we need to know that isn't already posted here or on yurtski's site?

I got to go there two Decembers ago. It was early season so not everything was ready to go, yet we had a blast and could see great possibilities. Are you staying in the upper or lower Yurt? We were in the Upper and it was really well positioned to get after the goods. I highly recommend the sled. We had almost as many sleds as people and not only enjoyed making the approach trip quick, but ended up doing some sled laps up behind the Yurt when our legs tired out.

The "road" up there is smooth and made for easy sledding when we were there (remember not much drifted snow). I'd leave a good 4 hours for the approach on skis especially with camping gear weighing you down.

Have fun!

send a PM to mtskier, he has been there.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Asbvt- hoping for the upper "alpine" yurt.

Nice to hear some good feedback about the area. Anybody else?

fun spot. bring the sled. and the whisky.
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow