Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    I think if your using All Season tires year round you want the tires to have the little mountain & snowflake symbol on them. Most don't have that Stuck but the Michelin's in question do.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    My father always used to say (and he wasn't a stoner), what happens to all of those tons of worn tires left on roads?
    Sounds like something my dad would have said as well, always grappling with the details we took for granted.... For the record, he always wanted to be a stoner.

I have the Michelin Defender MS in the high country. I wanted a decent snow tire, but didn’t want to change tires every season.

Quote Originally Posted by XtrPickels View Post
    Bumping this as it seems like the more relevent thread.

Anyone have experience with Michelin CrossClimate2 tires?

Need new tires for the Volkswagen Sportwagen. These seem to fit the bill. Looking for a good all-season tire that won't completely suck in the occasional snow that we get in Boulder. No need for true snow-tire grip as we have an SUV for mountains / slippery conditions.
    They're amazing. Almost as good in the snow as a dedicated winter tire. Superb in the rain. Doesn't corner like a summer tire but you can't have it all.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Take a look at the Vredestein Quatrac Pro.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I have the Michelin Defender MS in the high country. I wanted a decent snow tire, but didn’t want to change tires every season.
    that's a nice tire right there.... While not in the high country here, I've been running Conti Terrain Contact H/T's on my suburban year round and have to say they do everything really well.

I recently picked up a set of used wheels because one of mine was bent enough to make the truck shake, for $250 they turned out to be the greatest deal ever. Why? Because they came with a nearly new set of Nokian WR G4 SUV's. These tires are awesome so far. Smooth as could be on the highway right up to speeds I probably shouldn't be traveling at, they're marked LRR so the mileage is up about 2mpg over the Falken Wildpeak AT3 Trail that was on there before, the rain performance is admirable, braking is really good and based on the amount of siping I expect that snow performance should be better than most. They fall into the newer all weather category rather than all season so do have the snowflake symbol. The only thing I can find wrong with them is on smooth concrete roads over about 40mph they howl LOUDLY.

Anyway... look for all weather rather than all season. They really will be better in less than optimal conditions and at least as good when it's dry and warm.

Ha. That's my summer tire
    Hakkapeliitta 8 for winter

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm currently using a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra tires for my 3-season set on a Lexus IS 350 AWD. In 235/45/17, it's a W rated tire (well beyond the speed limiter on the car). Dry and wet handling is fine, ride and noise are acceptable (not as harsh or loud as the prior set of XL rated Kumho Ecsta 4X). Turn in was a little sharper on the Kumho. No complaints so far, but only about 10K miles on the set for far. Wearing evenly. No real snow usage so can't comment there.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...+Ultra+Touring

I picked these because of a combination of rating and price - something that should be grippy enough to be fun in dry, quiet enough to not drive me nuts on long highway drives, but all season in case I get caught in a shoulder season snow storm. Good rebate sale at the time steered me to these. The rough concrete highways in the area mean that treadlife on any tire is maybe 40K, if I'm lucky.
    In case anyone is considering this tire: do not recommend, if your driving habits include any sort of fun cornering. I kept those Coopers through one tire rotation -- and then they started howling. They were balanced properly, visually appeared to be wearing evenly and minimally. They just got ridiculously loud after one rotation. Sold them on craigslist, replaced with General G Max AS-05, which have been just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Take a look at the Vredestein Quatrac Pro.
    I have those on my V70R per Tire Rack recommendation. Sidewalls feel really soft to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

General seems to do good sidewalls. I HATED how soft the Goodyear Viva3 was, but you gotta save money somewhere when you're the $99 Walmart special. They don't come in the weird size my car has so that was good, I guess.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

My tires are 285/65R-20. Today I went to our local tire dealer who said they don’t make a snow tire for my rim. If I want snows I need to buy four new rims. Either that or chains.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Recommendations for the cheapest tire that does well on cold wet streets? Size 205/55/16 Want to put new rubber on our leaf that can only go 70miles. 90% city streets 10% short highway trips. Priorities are wet grip, cost and rolling resistance, ok if they have short tread life because it is hard to rack up the miles when you can't leave town. If it snows we can take the awd suv with real snow tires.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    My tires are 285/65R-20. Today I went to our local tire dealer who said they don’t make a snow tire for my rim. If I want snows I need to buy four new rims. Either that or chains.
    Yeah - you're going to want a set of rims with snows on it.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Yeah - you're going to want a set of rims with snows on it.
    And a floor jack and impact wrench. You will never look back.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    In case anyone is considering this tire: do not recommend, if your driving habits include any sort of fun cornering. I kept those Coopers through one tire rotation -- and then they started howling. They were balanced properly, visually appeared to be wearing evenly and minimally. They just got ridiculously loud after one rotation. Sold them on craigslist, replaced with General G Max AS-05, which have been just fine.
    After seeing your early review and a few others I put these on our Forester. I won't be doing that again. They have been the most easily damaged tires I've ever owned. Performance is sufficient for a car that handles like wet toilet paper anyway, rain and wet performance is pretty good and they run quiet enough but I have to run them 4 to 6 psi over or they're mush.
    Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    There isn't a lot in that size https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireS...65&diameter=20 but if you want the best look at Nokian. The other best choice is the Falken Wildpeak AT3W https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/falk.../p/TV093001847 On my 6k pound brick they are quiet, competent and kick ass in the snow but aren't great over ~90mph. They probably cost $100 less per tire than the Nokians but there's that little something...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    And a floor jack and impact wrench. You will never look back.
    Oh yeah, this ^^!!!!! There are some electric high lift jacks on Amazon that should lift a side in a minute or so for under $200 and electric impacts are cheap (cordless not so much). If you know the weather is heading the wrong (or right) way you should be able to do a change in a half hour or less a day or two ahead of time, I did that with my commuter car for a few winters.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Ha. That's my summer tire
    Hakkapeliitta 8 for winter
    I put the studded 8’s on the wife’s Audi.
    She also needs all the help she can get.

I just don’t have room to store 2 sets of tires.

I put the studded 8’s on the wife’s Audi.
    She also needs all the help she can get.

I just don’t have room to store 2 sets of tires.
    I get that. Without a 3 bay shop anymore , storing a set of tires requires valuable nonexistence space.
    correction, the old Legacy had Defenders, (it was so old with 15" wheels, not many choices)
    the Outback has BS Turanza, still rated M&S, but no snowflake
    I've always had Goodyear Ultra Grip until 2 years ago, I got Hakka's for the Outback
    As long as I'm allowed to runs studs I will, I've chained up ONCE in over 40 years and never been stuck.
    But driving on west coast wet snow is so much different than cold Rocky mtn snow, I'll take every advantage I can get

For a do-it-all tire, I'd consider this:https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...!&gclsrc=aw.ds

Trying to choose between Hankook H750 Kinergy 4S2 and Nokian WR G4. Hankook are the darlings of consumer reports, and the Nokians are the recommendation of the local very trusted tire shop, but not great in CR (mostly due to wet braking distance I think - but not sure.)

Hankooks are likely about 50-75 cheaper for a set. I'll be using them year round on a vehicle that is not the normal ski car, so likely only getting sub 25 really bad snow days per year.

Any mags have an opinion?

Anyone run the Michelin Cross Climates?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Trying to choose between Hankook H750 Kinergy 4S2 and Nokian WR G4. Hankook are the darlings of consumer reports, and the Nokians are the recommendation of the local very trusted tire shop, but not great in CR (mostly due to wet braking distance I think - but not sure.)

Hankooks are likely about 50-75 cheaper for a set. I'll be using them year round on a vehicle that is not the normal ski car, so likely only getting sub 25 really bad snow days per year.

Any mags have an opinion?
    Yeah That wet thing is the only problem with the WR G4. I don't find it in the braking as much as tight corners, they creep a little so I have to enter wider and coast into the apex or they understeer. It's not bad though and everything else about the tire pretty much kicks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Yeah That wet thing is the only problem with the WR G4. I don't find it in the braking as much as tight corners, they creep a little so I have to enter wider and coast into the apex or they understeer. It's not bad though and everything else about the tire pretty much kicks ass.
    Great to hear. I pulled the trigger on the WR G4s. Install still a couple weeks out. Everything still hard to get.

Is this the holy grail of never changing tires?