Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    The Xi3's turn noticeably better in snow which cures the biggest complaint about the Xi2's plus they come with that 40k mile warranty. I own both the 2's and 3's and have run them side by side same day but my 2's are a few years old. I would get the 3's for sure.

Edit...not sure they have truck sizing? We looked for the 4 runner and the xice series wasnt available. Ymmv.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-26-2013 at 10:31 PM.

Thanks all. Appreciate the feedback - and am convinced not to be a cheapass.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Nokian WR G2. Amazing grip in wet, dry and snow/ice conditions. Have snowflake DOT rating & perform better than many dedicated snow tires, yet wear well and are quiet on the road. Well worth every dollar you'll spend on them, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Just looking t them a minute ago, they have the WRG3 now. Not sure what the difference is. One more, I guess.
    Just spooned on a set of WRG-2's today. Got them from www.tiresavings.com for $211/ea which oddly enough is more expensive than the same tires for my wife's SUV, which takes bigger tires. They must know that 245/45/17s are mainly for "Luxury" cars. Whatever - glad I got them shipped and mounted for (just) under $1k. Putting on OEMs would have been $300 more, and had I done it through the dealership it would have been $500 more.

Strange that nobody sells Nokian tires in the DC area, but they do in Montgomery, AL.

Ice - I did some research and all the reviews of the WRG-3 say it's worse than the WRG-2, not an improvement in any category except tread wear.

Thanks for the heads-up, JGB!

Waited at least a few days too long, wife got stuck coming up the driveway on the summer tires this morning.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Bumping this old thread to see if anyone has any experience with the Nokian Z Line all season performance tires. They've only been out for a couple of years and are Nokian's first performance tire. Lots of good reviews and one comparison that rated it second to the Pilot Sports. I'm about to pull the trigger on a set for summer tires on my GTI. I've got separate winter tires so these need to be sticky for summer but also decent for wet weather.

Also curious what other's are running for all season performance tires.

I have the Conti DWS06, they are very good. Happy with them. They replaced the previous iteration, I think DWS03(?) that I had very good luck with, I'm sold on them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Premium%20Plus

My sister had some type of all season with a RWD Benz and in the winter they performed very well. I didn't think they would.
    She paid a premium but our mechanic said he's finding a lot of people that live in condos or rent a flat are the majority of the buyers. No room to store an extra set. Makes sense from that prospective but he said nothing tops a dedicated winter tire.

We have the Conti DWS06 as well. Very happy, quiet, pretty sticky for all-seasons, very good snow performance.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

+1 for Conti DWS

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I have the Conti DWS06, they are very good. Happy with them. They replaced the previous iteration, I think DWS03(?) that I had very good luck with, I'm sold on them.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...Premium%20Plus
    Are those Italian?

When you say performance, do you mean at least V rated, or just solid all seasons?
    I've been with Viva 3's since winter and they drive well and grip great considering they're the Walmart special from Goodyear. Sidewalls are soft though, and the car can really role in corners. If you have low pro tires, this may be less of a big deal, but the 205/55/16's on my Suby feel soft. Traction is great, road noise is minimal. There's a Michelin that looks similar, with burlier looking sidewalls, but it's twice the price.

Oh, and they're not kidding when they say your bolts can loosen after 50 miles. Never had that happen before after new tires, so maybe Walmart is a little light on the torque. Easily remedied with your tire iron.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Michelin LTX MS 80K tire awesome traction if you rotate may outlive you

I'm looking for Z rated all seasons that I can get 25-30k miles out of with good wet weather grip. Not looking for chewing gum soft warm weather tires or V/H rated all seasons.

I looked hard at the Contis DWS and the Pilot Sports but ended up going with the Nokian Z Lines. They we'ere almost half the price compared to the Pilots (a little over $100/tire) and rated almost as high by most reviews. Nokian claims its a summer performance tire that can handle wet weather and cold temps - perfect for Vermont spring/summers. Kind of a gamble considering its Nokian's first performance tire but their reputation for winter tires sold me. I'll report back on how they do.

https://www.nokiantires.com/summer-tires/nokian-zline/

I'm currently using a set of Cooper CS5 Ultra tires for my 3-season set on a Lexus IS 350 AWD. In 235/45/17, it's a W rated tire (well beyond the speed limiter on the car). Dry and wet handling is fine, ride and noise are acceptable (not as harsh or loud as the prior set of XL rated Kumho Ecsta 4X). Turn in was a little sharper on the Kumho. No complaints so far, but only about 10K miles on the set for far. Wearing evenly. No real snow usage so can't comment there.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...+Ultra+Touring

I picked these because of a combination of rating and price - something that should be grippy enough to be fun in dry, quiet enough to not drive me nuts on long highway drives, but all season in case I get caught in a shoulder season snow storm. Good rebate sale at the time steered me to these. The rough concrete highways in the area mean that treadlife on any tire is maybe 40K, if I'm lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Are those Italian?
    No you're thinking of Nentals.

We've had Hankook Ventus on my wife's 2008 Outback for a few years as summer tires. Technically all season and winter rated but the tread pattern doesn't look it. We use real winter tires with studs for the canyon and driveway in winter.

The Hankooks do well in wet, quiet, great cornering at play speed up the canyon and I'd get them again. Not much chatter about Hankooks but check them out for a reasonably priced alternative to the bigger brands. I think the model I got is H rated but it's not here now to confirm.

My .02.

Around town, I was getting 14-15, on the highway 26-28. Downhill from the resort to home, once I managed to get 35.1. Put a set of Cooper AT3's on my 2500 Silverado Duramax. Around town dropped to 11-12, highway 19-20, and best I could do coming downhill from resort was 29.

Moral of the story is to ask how any tire affects mileage.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post

Moral of the story is to ask how any tire affects mileage.
    I have done some research and it seems you have to pay more to get a tire that improves mileage.

Considering all season A/T just for those transition periods where winter might come early or a late spring. I want to get as many season out my Bridgestone DVM2 but I wonder whether I'll just like the all seasons better. Perhaps over thinking things but ice is a bigger issue than deep snow.

Bumping this as it seems like the more relevent thread.

Anyone have experience with Michelin CrossClimate2 tires?

Need new tires for the Volkswagen Sportwagen. These seem to fit the bill. Looking for a good all-season tire that won't completely suck in the occasional snow that we get in Boulder. No need for true snow-tire grip as we have an SUV for mountains / slippery conditions.

Did my research and the guys at tire rack told me to buy them, so I did at Costco as they were $150 off and the best out the door price I could find. Have 1k on them and so far so good, but the test will be how they do in the snow for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

interesting tire - I really want to know how the noise is after 10k on pavement... Could be the x factor on them as with most I've seen with that design. Just saying.

Aldo, I had tires made by Falken years ago with a similar tread pattern and the were good tires that I put on the V70R twice. If the tire is a little noisy, turn up the music.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

If it's noisy, doesn't tht mean the pavement. Is wearing away the useful bits of tread?

My father always used to say (and he wasn't a stoner), what happens to all of those tons of worn tires left on roads?

I have been running General Altimax something something. Seem to hold up pretty well, good traction. Wouldn't say noisy.
    You can spend more for the Bridgestone Turanza if you want. Similar tires, I think.

Just look for tires with lots of sipes and call it good.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.