Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: America's Cup

America's Cup

Don't know shit about it other than that the US is staging a comeback for the ages. Plus the boats give me wood.

Story

It's really incredible what Oracle USA has been able to do since their "time out".

Even more incredible since Emirates New Zealand is so much faster upwind.

Hey, I'm rooting for a win but NZ needs just one more.

Whatever happens, it's been highly entertaining and a shame more aren't seeing it.
    I still call it The Jake.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Live, those things are f'ing crazy. TNZ was faster upwind. Now Oracle is.

Oracle smoked past NZ today. I was there. It was impressive to watch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1379991809.751002.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	68.0 KB 
ID:	141700  

Obviously rigged for the false drama of perceived competition.

I just knew this thread would bring out the bourgeois

I would have punched a baby to see those races live. I heard it was sort of a cluster-fuck all around though with so few teams. Still, in my opinion one of the more interesting sporting events.

The boats are cool. Billions at stake:

September 22–26, 2013 | San Francisco

http://www.oracle.com/openworld/index.html

For an interesting read on boat design for the Cup read how Italians Luna Rossa bought their design from TNZ then TNZ went out and built a better boat.

Insane cash spent on all ends. Wow.

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/a/SB100...?mg=reno64-wsj

I give it up for Ellison and the others for bringing the Cup to a totally new, and frankly, fucking awesome level.

Sure...the detracters will piss and moan that since these are 100 million dollar boats, it brings the Cup out of the reach of 'joe citizen', and strictly in the hands of billionaires. Errm...correct me if I'm wrong, but America's Cup has NEVER been about joe citizen. Cornelius Vanderbilt ring a bell?

The sailing I do is nearly a polar opposite of what those AC72s do...I own ans sail a full-keeled, offshore ketch that might do 8.5 knots on a really decent broad reach...but those cats....are absolutely amazing...45 knots??? Helmets??? They've made sailing an EXTREME sport...and I'm fine with that.

Edit for video:

Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 09-24-2013 at 07:21 AM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Ellison and others brought it to a new, "awesome" level? Jezuz, it's so friggin expensive that only two teams are competing, and we're lucky to have that. It's supposed to be a friggin competition, a race, you know. More like a high priced freak show.
    Looks to me like they've destroyed the sport.

Benny,

I am continually impressed at your abilty to find the dark cloud for every silver lining.

You must be a blast at parties.
    In with the 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ellison and others brought it to a new, "awesome" level? Jezuz, it's so friggin expensive that only two teams are competing, and we're lucky to have that. It's supposed to be a friggin competition, a race, you know. More like a high priced freak show.
    Looks to me like they've destroyed the sport.
    Benny, do yourself a favor and read up before commenting. (remember, thanks to the internet we're all experts here)

There's two teams competing because it's the finals ding-dong.

Bullshit. There was only two teams to start with, so they went straight to finals. I'm ready to agree with the theory that New Zealand is sandbagging just to create some sort of semblance of a competition for the poor sponsors and the city of SF who spent so much on this thing.

Bullshit. There was only two teams to start with, so they went straight to finals. I'm ready to agree with the theory that New Zealand is sandbagging just to create some sort of semblance of a competition for the poor sponsors and the city of SF who spent so much on this thing.
    You=abject moron.

Google Louis Vuitton Cup.

Go ahead, it's worth a Google.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    You=abject moron.

Google Louis Vuitton Cup.

Go ahead, it's worth a Google.
    "Louis Vuitton, the posh French retailer that has been a primary financial backer of the competition, wants $3 million refunded because so few teams have entered."

Dude, I've been following this. The Italians were just another bit of window dressing. They were actually given secrets of hull design by the Kiwis just to fill the field. That's like Ferrari inviting lessor teams into the factory to show them how the new cars are coming along.
    Please. This is not a competition. It's a show, and much less a show than was promised to SF way back when.

Great, you've been following it. So have I, so then you know that the Italians bought their boat design from the Kiwis and the Kiwis didn't 'give' it to them. Information sharing, not building, was allowed by ruling among all entrants up to a certain point in 2012, but that's aside the point.

The greater point here is just because you say "there are only two teams to start with so they went straight to the finals" is wrong in the face of reality.

They held the LV Cup and now they're holding the AC. But go on, tell us the moon is made of cheese.

But you will agree that the city of SF, and also, fans worldwide were promised five or more teams competing?

Wow, didn't realize they were still in it, when the Kiwis needed only one more win I pretty much wrote it off. But replacing Kostecki as tactician, then going five straight???!!! Holy shit!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

But you will agree that the city of SF, and also, fans worldwide were promised five or more teams competing?
    I'm not sure what promises were made, but would fans like to see a bigger field; of course they would.

These yachts are amazing creations of engineering and speed and give the video game generation (and world for that matter) what they're looking for in entertainment. The biggest gripe the AC has been told for years when trying to expand their audience is that the action is too slow and boring to watch. So they (after a challenge to the Deed of Gift and rules) won the right to make the jump to multi-hulls to answer this complaint (and probably Larry Ellison's ego). The unfortunate, in some respects, consequence of which is that it's cost prohibitive and engineering prohibitive for many to join in now.

You (not you, you, the global "you") can't have it both ways if you want to evolve the competition. Who knows, other teams may catch up come the next Cup and you'll have a bigger field.

Hugh Conway Guest
    wow Benny the America's Cup is the playground of billionaires! What a fucking revelation! End times this. Have a cup of tea and STFU

This is way more exciting... this year. Jamie O'Brian is a pro surfer, info for douchbags like Benny.

Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    unfortunate, in some respects, consequence of which is that it's cost prohibitive and engineering prohibitive for many to join in now.

You (not you, you, the global "you") can't have it both ways if you want to evolve the competition. Who knows, other teams may catch up come the next Cup and you'll have a bigger field.
    Like every form of modern racing costs have outpaced competition. There will be no larger AC fields without significant cost containment.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Like every form of modern racing costs have outpaced competition. There will be no larger AC fields without significant cost containment.
    Which is why I think there's future if they keep it restricted to the AC45s. Maybe, but who knows. I liked the old monohulls myself.