Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Hi jon, with the new design with the features on the underside of the thread designed to keep the screw from backing out, do you still need to use thread locker?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    just a thought, looks like its possible to make a poor mans CAST system with sollyfits. mount toe plate backwards so dynafit toe is forward so not to engage solly heel. solly and dyna toe holes in front and back of toe piece are same width . just change toes at the top of the climb. since you have a posi drive , could have brakes in pack for the up. can't be anymore than putting a split board together

You should tour with a splitboarder that knows what the fuck he's doing?

Not fucking around with a screw driver will be a CLUE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

damn. have been smoking for a few yrs now. thought the magic was back......still solly to dynafit toes would be relatively ez. maybe not for u

not the fault of the who hash.
    b

ha, edit/haven't/edit. your edick is bigger too

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    damn. have been smoking for a few yrs now. thought the magic was back......still solly to dynafit toes would be relatively ez. maybe not for u
    Your transition sux.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

I installed a set of the Pozi screws last night in a set of Speed Radicals. The backs fit perfect. The heads in the toe sit above flush. There isn't a clearance issue with my boots but they don't sit like OEM. Much better than the allen heads regardless (still have one stripped and stuck).

Just an FYI post.

I'm a loyal Binding Freedom supporter but I did get my hands on some of the competition's fasteners and though I'd post this interesting comparison. It just demonstrates the clear difference in tolerance and attention to detail that Jondrums puts into Binding Freedom products.

Competitors on the left - Binding Freedom on the right
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	%u0025255BUNSET%255D.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	36.6 KB 
ID:	146055

Views:	125 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	146054

Views:	127 
Size:	32.9 KB 
ID:	146056
    First 360 mute grab --> Andrew Sheppard --> Snowdrifters 1996

This wasn't answere yet, what r guys doing RE thread locker with the new pozi screws ?

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Hi jon, with the new design with the features on the underside of the thread designed to keep the screw from backing out, do you still need to use thread locker?

This wasn't answere yet, what r guys doing RE thread locker with the new pozi screws ?
    They're self locking.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using TGR Forums

I'm still using Vibra-tite with the new pozi screws. No reason not to.

I would rather not use thread locker as I have backed out a handful of inserts while removing my bindings in the past and I think the thread locker might have contributed to that.

Has anyone confirmed that the self locking feature on the new pozi screws works?

I tend to check my screws regularly and so don't use threadlocker unless experience has dictated a need to(for example BD O1 bindings loosen up really badly, but my dynafits don't)

I use Vibra-tite - seems to be a good solution.

I might be a lone voice here, but I'm not really a fan of this move to PZ3 screw heads.

on review - not just me...
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    I like allen heads [/retrogrouch]
    One of the things I liked about the previous system is that I could find a 3mm allen key almost anywhere. Hardware store, bike bag, bike shop, I must have 5 or more in my tools. The PZ3 bit is not impossible to find, but it's not that easy either. I own 1. I think I have only two sets of skis with PZ3 screws anymore.

I have never had trouble with the allen heads stripping or anything else.

Oh well, I guess I will have to go find my screws somewhere other than the BF store now. Ironically, I find it easier to get a good selection of metric hardware at ACE hardware in Spokane than any where in Canada... :O

In summary, I like what Jon does - he makes an awesome product and I have a lot of respect for him, but I basically disagree with almost everything he says in the quote below...

Quote Originally Posted by jondrums View Post
    I also tried torx head which are quite good, but nobody in the US carries torx screwdrivers around in their glovebox when you're in a pinch. Allen is bad enough if you lose your tool. I think #3 pozi is going to be extremely convenient since every ski workbench has one and a #3 phillips screwdriver can be used in a pinch.

Lastly, I think the #3 pozi feature will really help speed up the installation because it is much easier to get the screw driven in straight in the first place versus an allen head.
    [/end grouchy rant] & thanks jon for making an otherwise awesome product!

ski benches everywhere have #3pozi.
    b

In contrast, I was cursing when my hex driver bit kept getting stuck in the screw heads this AM. As a last minute decision to head out with different skis, requiring a binding swap, I was pressed for time and the angst was building. The pozi drive screws in the pivot brakes were quick and no 'bit lockage' and made me wish the toes had pozi heads as well.
    Last edited by Alpinord; 12-06-2013 at 10:41 PM.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by DudeLebowSKI View Post
    I'm a loyal Binding Freedom supporter but I did get my hands on some of the competition's fasteners and though I'd post this interesting comparison. It just demonstrates the clear difference in tolerance and attention to detail that Jondrums puts into Binding Freedom products.

Competitors on the left - Binding Freedom on the right
    I'm curious who the competitor is - mind sharing?

planning to go all posi-3 soon. I have but one worry...
    On a dynafit vertical heel, with breaks, the available space to access the 2 front heel screws is a bit tight....any problems using a posi driver?

Those are cool, shudder to think of how many 100ct bags of different length M5 flathead screws I have, lol.

The smallhead M5x10 screws I intended to use for my 2010 Dukes don't really fit. The thread engagement is fine (same as the old allen heads) but the head itself sticks up enough to block the toe from moving forward when I lock into downhill mode. In addition to the M5x10 smallheads I tried using M5x10 lowhead and M5x8 smallhead screws and they all have the same(ish) problem. This leads me to believe there are no Pozi #3 screws sold by Jondrums that would fit this particular situation but I'd love to hear if someone has had success and what screws you used.

Here are two pictures to show what's going on:

Name:	IMG_20140107_215617.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	148094

Name:	IMG_20140107_215708.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	148095

Hi Saxon - it is kind of janky, but those pozi-smallheads DO WORK with the marker touring bindings. I have 5 pairs of dukes/barons/F12 of various years and varieties. I tested on all of them. It is tight, and it doesn't want to go the first time you slide the toes, but by the second time you slide the toes it goes fine. You have to tighten the screws all the way down too.

I will be tooling up regular flathead screws for next season. I wish I could do it faster, but it does work.

This a bit off topic. I tried to contact Jon but haven't heard back. Are sollyfit plates compatible with atomic ffg10 binders? I am pretty sure they r the same as solly z10 s. The z10s I think have the solly 3 screw hole toe? Will these work with sollyfits? All generations of sollyfits?

This a bit off topic. I tried to contact Jon but haven't heard back. Are sollyfit plates compatible with atomic ffg10 binders? I am pretty sure they r the same as solly z10 s. The z10s I think have the solly 3 screw hole toe? Will these work with sollyfits? All generations of sollyfits?
    I have a buddy running z12's on the first gen (non-radical) sollyfit plates, with the 3 screwhole toes.

It works.
    Aggressive in my own mind

Thanks, h for that info. Here is some other info I am looking for (I am teaching my fiancé and her daughter to ski. They r both pretty aggressive and my buddies r all telling me they r ready for pow, and I am planning ahead a bit on bc set ups for them).
    1) what screws r included with the sollyfit plate? A complete list will help me avoid multiple orders from BF; I have already contributed enough to J in shipping fees.
    2). I am running 1/4" B&D shims with my plum guide toes. How many mm should I add to the BF screws I get for this application compared to the standard mount without the shim.
    3) same question regarding 3/16" shims run with dyna vert STs.

2. I use and am happy with 16mm pozi smallheads for my PLUM Guides with B&D shims. The shims are 6.35mm thick and Jondrums says to use 10mm for the Guides (http://www.techinfo.bindingfreedom.c...gths_LD31.html). The rule of thumb is to have 4-6mm of thread engagement.

EDIT TO ADD: I vaguely recall reading that the sollyfit plates don't come with any screws, but I have never bought them.