Tire advice for riding in southern alps

heading to Europe - wondering if I can benefit from other's experience/knowledge of tire choices for that area - I'm based out of Vancouver so am more used to the wet roots and rocks scene

I'm riding with 160mm of travel and 26" wheels - currently have a Specialized Ground Control 2.3 on the front and a Minion DHF 2.35 on the rear

I have a 2.2 Trail King waiting for me at the post office as another option.

I know there are hundreds of possible options/combinations and what works for one person won't necessarily work for another - but I've never ridden in Yurp and would like to hear from people who have what they might recommend for area (southern alps)

Cheers!

EDIT: should add that I'm currently running tubeless - and will not be riding lifts so weight is of some concern
    Last edited by bennymac; 09-16-2013 at 10:36 PM.

Where exactly will you be? "Southern Alps" can mean a lot.

where are you riding now? that will help contextualize how different/same it is....

I'm based out of Vancouver so ride north shore->Whistler area mainly - lots of roots and rocks and wet loamy dirt

going to south-eastern France /Italy region which I expect to be much drier and maybe the rocks will be looser?

Lots of rocks. Tight trails. Some wide open trails too Lots of trams/bus/bahn but also lots of doubletrack to get around. So get a biggish front tire. 2.5 Minion eg will do. Get a rear tire with high volume but low profile for the inevitable road and doubletrack sections. High volume to tolerate hitting rocks at high speed.

Stick to 26" diameters or if you bring 29" bring all spare parts.

^basically what he said. Rocks (both embedded and loose) and mostly hard, dry dirt, a little sandy or dusty at times but mostly not too bad. You probably won't find much loam or soft dirt. Roots below treeline obviously. Trails are typically steep, rough and tight.
    DHF or similar in 42a is always a good choice for the front. I've been reasonably happy with a high roller in the back in the past.

thanks for the advice

I've currently got a Minion DHF Downhill version in 2.5 on the front - it's a heavy pig of a tire at 1200g - I assume it'll be indestructible for trail riding - but it likely is also overkill as I will have to pedal this fatty uphill

just debating switching it over to a Hans Dempf 2.35 supergravity version which will save 0.5 pounds in tire weight...

dah I hate it when it rains - I'd rather be riding my bike then overthinking tire choices

FWIW, no experience with it myself but the Hans Dampf seems reasonably popular over here.

I now shit about it either, but i have been in the alps, they have Dirt rocks and grass and mud and, just like in North america.

what I would ask is what do 26" MTB tires cost in Swiss land?
    So do i need to bring tires or just buy something there if my set up sucks?
    Own your fail. ~Jer~