Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Freeskiing in Race Boots? Dobermann

Anybody on here Freeski with a race boot primarily, specifically a Dobie? I know of a few guys that loved the Redster last year for everywhere but I am talking something like a Dobermann 130 for all mountain. I have heard some pretty mixed reviews of the liners and longevity of the boots overall but am looking to replace the beloved Nuke 130's finally.

Why not? As long as you're not hiking a lot.

FWIW I skied in the original darth vader dobie 130 for 4 years. Took it all over the place, till I switched to a Garmont Shaman--a bit softer. Coming from that dobie (and I have not tried most recent dobermann iteration) you may be disappointed in the redster (specifically last years as I have not tried on this years--but I don't think they changed it). My ankles were swimming in both the WC and Pro. Its probably a good boot though for chicks with kankles or people retaining fluid in their legs. Flex was also soft for a 130 IMO.

[QUOTE=Timberridge;4056556]Why not? As long as you're not hiking a lot.
    Yep. Easy enough to soften the flex if needed
    I gather you liked the Atomic fit and that is why you mentioned the Redster as a possible replacement for the Nuke 130s. If money is a concern (when isn't it?) you might think about getting new but not this years Atomic race boots as I think the 98s all have the same last. Action Sports Outlet out of Oakville, Ontario sells them for about $200 and if you know the size and mods needed already it might be an option to think about.

I have been free skiing including regular hiking in race boots for the last 10 years (various Lange and Nordica WC models). I have not had any issues other than cold feet from race liners. I have tried on non-race boots a number of times but could never find anything I liked enough to replace race boots. Find the boot that fits you best and go ride them.

Skied Lange Comp 140, 130, and 120. Broke every pair eventually, but took the longest to break the 120's.

Have been in kryptons for 4 years, starting with the pro which is supposed to be like a 100-140 depending on how you set it up. Racers have used the flexon 4eva which is now Full-Tilt, and is the boot the krypton was developed to mimic, with a couple of improvements over the original design IMO.

Short answer; race boots are fine for freeskiing. Boots like the krypton and full-tilts give a bunch of options for varying the flex, which is great if they happen to fit your foot, and they're light.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

I ski the dobie 130. Have had them for 3-4 season now. Love em. Liners are beginning to get packed a little but they still fit and ski great. I ski inbounds and hike to OB as well as short skinning (30 min to 1.5 hr) jaunts in them. They suck for skinning but skinning in any alpine boot sucks. Everything else they are great.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    FWIW I skied in the original darth vader dobie 130 for 4 years. Took it all over the place, till I switched to a Garmont Shaman--a bit softer.
    I've never used the Dobermann boots, but came from Atomic Hawx 110 (2 years) to the Garmont Shaman (2 years and counting), and it fits me better than the Atomic. The Shaman needed more bootfitting work to fit (metatarsal width), but the heel hold and flex is perfect for me. I even bought a backup pair for when these wear out.

FWIW, the Garmont G2 was the same boot as the Shaman, in a different color and with different buckles. Might be able to find one of these laying around in old stock somewhere -- Scott took over Garmont's ski boot line, and I don't know if they're continuing manufacture of these boots under some different name.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Dookie has done all of his hiking in either Dobies or Tecnica inferno 130's. most all of the high end free ride boots ar race boot derivatives.
    Click. Point. Chute.

I ski exclusively in Head Raptors except on my tech setup. My other boots are Quadrants and don't compare, race boots just give you the ability to stick your skis where you want and make that bit of the mountain your bitch.

Shane used dobies...

I have skied on Dobie 130s since they came out. I use a conformable liner though. The only negative compared to some newer boots is the slick plastic sole when hiking.

Rabbit might have the best argument there

I skied three seasons in a pair of 2008 dobie pro 130 (98mm) and bought 2011/12 dobermanns as soon as i could find a deal. I did not like those boots nearly as much, mostly because of the metal plate in the boot board, which made the boots extremely cold and heavy. I would caution you against getting anything with a metal plate in/on the sole of the boot.

On the other hand, last year I skied Kryptons, which were fun when I was on skinnier skis but when I skied my powder boards I found them to be insufficient for the task of driving a big ski, at least after the boots broke in. There is absolutely no comparison between the flex of even a non-WC model dobermann and a krypton pro.

the patron pro "freeski" boot is basically a dobie 130 with shock absorbing footbed and a ground out toebox.

Of course you can freeski with raceboots. Most "freeski" boots ARE race boots with a little more cushioning. And if your not hucking it in the park (or hardpack for that matter) you dont even need that extra cushioning...Its all marketing gimmicks, go out there and "get jibby with it", IT being your race boots.

boot are for feet, skis are for terrain.

thats why most of us have 1-2 boots and many more skis...

Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    the patron pro "freeski" boot is basically a dobie 130 with shock absorbing footbed and a ground out toebox.

Of course you can freeski with raceboots. Most "freeski" boots ARE race boots with a little more cushioning. And if your not hucking it in the park (or hardpack for that matter) you dont even need that extra cushioning...Its all marketing gimmicks, go out there and "get jibby with it", IT being your race boots.
    Ignore this guy.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    boot are for feet, skis are for terrain.
    quote of the year.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Great feedback. Thanks guys. I put on the Patron Pro the other day and I have to say it felt like a 110 flex compared to a Dobie. My biggest concern is echoing what a couple have said regarding the metal EDT stuff in the Dobie (of past) and that it is basically going to turn into a freezer in the boot. But the performance should be enough to outweigh that I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Ignore this guy.
    Great contribution.

OP the patron pro might feel softer but it was based off the doberman.
    Last edited by vailszendrei; 09-16-2013 at 12:46 PM.

Definitely don't sweat it.

Since I quit tele seven years ago I've been on a 98mm 150 flex (?) Head "XS" race boot, the 98mm Lange FR 130 and now I'm on the 97mm Lange RS 140 now and they're great for shredding all around. Almost everyone I ski with skis some kind of 'race' boot. Got a couple buddies on Dobie 150s. I do prefer Intuition liners for warmth and comfort though.

True plugs in sub 97mm widths are kind of a different story but if you put enough work into them even those can work. If you have the time, the money, and the pain tolerance.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher3000 View Post
    I skied three seasons in a pair of 2008 dobie pro 130 (98mm) and bought 2011/12 dobermanns as soon as i could find a deal. I did not like those boots nearly as much, mostly because of the metal plate in the boot board, which made the boots extremely cold and heavy. I would caution you against getting anything with a metal plate in/on the sole of the boot.

On the other hand, last year I skied Kryptons, which were fun when I was on skinnier skis but when I skied my powder boards I found them to be insufficient for the task of driving a big ski, at least after the boots broke in. There is absolutely no comparison between the flex of even a non-WC model dobermann and a krypton pro.
    Meh, with the stiffer tongue, the krypton is plenty stiff enough to drive a fat ski. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. Krypton fits my foot like a glove, and transfers power to the ski like a well fitting boot should. Dobbies felt like I accidentally stepped in a watering can on my way through the mud room. I'm sure they work great for some people though, which is why there's more than one boot on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Mntlion's wife(Skibee) freeskis in foam-linered Salomon plug boots. And she's a girl.

If I could fit in a Dobie, I'd ski it.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I've done some freeskiing in my Sollie plugs. They're fine for some things, not for others. But mine, which are used for actual racing, are so damn tight I'm not likely to want to keep them on for pleasure.

The issue is more about your style and your preferred terrain than whether a 130+ flex boot with super thick sides will work. Plug's obviously will be hyper-efficient in transmitting every shock or reaction up and down your leg. So if you do bumps, heavy crud, or trees with unpredictable stuff underneath, you can get thrown around pretty seriously cuz the boot doesn't absorb much. And if your compensation is slightly off, that'll get transmitted to your edges Right Away. OTOH, plugs are great for ice, smoother groomers, at silly speeds. YMMV; I've read folks here who claim to use plugs for touring. Course, they may also like to cut themselves with razors...

Quote Originally Posted by vailszendrei View Post
    Most "freeski" boots ARE race boots with a little more cushioning.
    Fail. Go check the thickness of a race boot's plastic, especially in the sides. Plastic also tends to be a better grade, so less likely to stiffen in the cold, flex is smoother and more progressive. Or just talk to a coach instead of out your, uh, other end.

Quote Originally Posted by Beyond View Post
    Fail. Go check the thickness of a race boot's plastic, especially in the sides. Plastic also tends to be a better grade, so less likely to stiffen in the cold, flex is smoother and more progressive. Or just talk to a coach instead of out your, uh, other end.
    Based off race boots*... Notice i didnt say plug. What i meant was salomon falcon, nordica dobermann, etc.
    Last edited by vailszendrei; 09-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.